Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Obscure PS1 Gems?

[Level 5: Mech]

Obscure PS1 Gems?

What are some great PS1 games that you feel were underrated?

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Spiderman. It's pretty damn amazing.

Fin Sahrot Dovahkodaav
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamoctapus View Post
    Spiderman. It's pretty damn amazing.
    Seconded. Spider-Man and the sequel Enter Electro were great.

Some others that I owned:

- The Misadventures of Tron Bonne (Good luck getting it legally.)
    - Rival Schools
    - Jade Cocoon
    - Shadow Madness (Some call it the worst RPG ever. I call it one of my favorites ever. It also came with a demo of Jade Cocoon.)
    - Syphon Filter I-III (Not too obscure, but I don't hear people talk about it anymore..I blame Metal Gear Solid.)
    - MediEvil I-II
    - Gundam Battle Assault I-II

I also really liked some of the movie games it had like The Grinch (Might be retrogoggles), Toy Story II, and the Emperors New Groove.

Frodo Bangins
    I kinda want to play that Spiderman game again... I wonder where I can find it cheep...

Hellnight/Dark Messiah is pretty good. Maybe LSD - Dream Emulator.

I can't really think of too much on the PS1 that was obscure and good, there's the famous stuff - like Silent Hill and the Resident Evils.

Pong

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboKill View Post
    - Syphon Filter I-III (Not too obscure, but I don't hear people talk about it anymore..I blame Metal Gear Solid.)
    Brilliant series, bad timing. The gunplay was ridiculously satisfying, too. I replayed 1-3 quite recently and SF2 is pretty damn underrated. It's one of the best single player campaigns ever made. It's long, but well paced, and you're always seeing something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzadolphin56 View Post
    Hellnight/Dark Messiah is pretty good.
    Oooooh yeah.

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    I always felt that Legend of Dragoon didn't get the praise that it really deserved. I think it was a victim of bad timing since it released so close to Final Fantasy VII. I remember seeing a story on the Playstation Blog that they were actually working on a sequel for the PS2 at one point, but that it got cancelled .

Fin Sahrot Dovahkodaav
    I would've mention Legend of Dragoon, but I didn't think it was all that obscure. Great game definitely.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevil View Post
    Brilliant series, bad timing. The gunplay was ridiculously satisfying, too. I replayed 1-3 quite recently and SF2 is pretty damn underrated. It's one of the best single player campaigns ever made. It's long, but well paced, and you're always seeing something new.
    I agree. Games were awesome, and the voice acting for the time was pretty good. Tasing people until they catch on fire was too fun. I might go as far as to say that if I had a choice of replaying SF I or MGS I that I'd go with Syphon Filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gobbldigook View Post
    I kinda want to play that Spiderman game again... I wonder where I can find it cheep...
    Here?

Frodo Bangins
    yeah thats what I found...

- - - Updated - - -

I'm trying to remember what I had but literally the only game coming to my mind is Medevil.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboKill View Post
    Seconded. Spider-Man and the sequel Enter Electro were great.

Some others that I owned:

- The Misadventures of Tron Bonne (Good luck getting it legally.)
    - Rival Schools
    - Jade Cocoon
    - Shadow Madness (Some call it the worst RPG ever. I call it one of my favorites ever. It also came with a demo of Jade Cocoon.)
    - MediEvil I-II
    - Gundam Battle Assault I-II

I also really liked some of the movie games it had like The Grinch (Might be retrogoggles), Toy Story II, and the Emperors New Groove.
    Great picks. Syphon Filter 2 and MediEvil are two of my favourites. They were great when they came out and actually hold up surprisingly well today. I'd do anything for MediEvil 3.

The most obvious underrated PSX title for me would definitely be Tomba, why that game isn't more popular I will never understand. Everything about it was so close to being perfect at the time but I guess that for one reason or another nobody bothered to buy it.

Also, I really liked Chase the Express but it's probably more of a guilty pleasure than anything. I recognise that it's probably pretty awful but I found it so engaging when it was released that I'm basically stuck with nostalgia goggles.

Quote Originally Posted by thymeparadox View Post
    Also, I really liked Chase the Express but it's probably more of a guilty pleasure than anything. I recognise that it's probably pretty awful but I found it so engaging when it was released that I'm basically stuck with nostalgia goggles.
    Yeah, that was pretty fun, too. I wasn't sure if the idea would work - Survival Horror meets Under Siege 2 - but it's good fun from start to finish. I don't think its awful, though. The controls, the backtracking, and the sudden switch to arcade action-style bosses all had their dodgy moments, but most of the time it worked.

Pow! Right in the kisser!
    Quote Originally Posted by djnealb View Post
    I always felt that Legend of Dragoon didn't get the praise that it really deserved. I think it was a victim of bad timing since it released so close to Final Fantasy VII. I remember seeing a story on the Playstation Blog that they were actually working on a sequel for the PS2 at one point, but that it got cancelled .
    BEST GAME.

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    I love you Pappa.

I always felt Vagrant Story was an underrated RPG from square. It came out during the juggernaut that was Final Fantasy VII. Since it wasn't a FF property it never got the recognition that that series got. I was a very well thought out game and I thought the story nailed it! I would love to play a game like that again.

Tales of Destiny and Tales of Eternia(which is Tales of Destiny II here and we didn't get the real Tales of Destiny 2 >.>). Also fuck yah Legend of Dragoon!

Quote Originally Posted by Benefit Evil View Post
    I always felt Vagrant Story was an underrated RPG from square. It came out during the juggernaut that was Final Fantasy VII. Since it wasn't a FF property it never got the recognition that that series got. I was a very well thought out game and I thought the story nailed it! I would love to play a game like that again.
    I could never complete that game, just too punishing at times. Probably one of the most interesting games Square ever made though.

My brother loves Vagrant Story, even has his original copy.

He picked that up really quickly for his age, and went about 100%-ing that game in weeks. Half that shit didn't click with me. You either understood how the stats worked or you just floundered and died.

[Level 5: Mech]

Destrega was pretty good. And by that I mean it was awful, but somehow I did end up playing it a lot at the time so I falsely remember it being fun.

Made by Koei, it's a button-mashing fighting game where the controls automatically switch between regular fighitng game punch and kick attacks to fireballs and other magic, depending on how far away you are. Fights are in a fairly large 3D space so it plays kind of like Dynasty Warriors, but with Street Fighter characters... and there's only two at a time.

http://youtu.be/o844IJdbh88?t=11m41s

Gotta give Sheep a shout-out too. It's about herding sheep, but the sheep are aliens.
    Hogs Of War is worth a punt as well, basically 3D Worms (but not as shit as the 3D Worms games) with narration and voices by Rik Mayall.

[Level 6: Robot]
    Legend of Legaia!
    The best damn RPG on the console, and hardly anyone's heard of it, and that makes me sad.