Thread: Nanowrimo 2012

Purveyor of Fine Ladies

Nanowrimo 2012

Nanowrimo or National Novel Writing Month begins in four days.

http://www.nanowrimo.org/en

The goal is to belt out 50,000 words by the end of the month. It doesn't have to be well written. There is no editing involved. It's just getting the words on the page. So for any of you who have that one story idea that's been swimming around in your head for years now's the time to write it.

I'm planning on participating this year. Anyone else want to give it a try?

Bringer of Truth
    I might have to commit myself to this. I've been talking with one of my supervisors about his writing at work and tossing ideas back and forth with him, and he keeps telling me I should write something.

Bah I always want to do this then it just sneaks up on me. Will see if I can sell myself on the idea this year since I actually know before it starts.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    I lack the fortitude to do this. ):

[Level 12: CHET]
    I've never actually wrote whilst keeping in mind the old Nan, though I see it every year.

I'm down for doing/attempting to do it! This is my first year being available to participate without exams/clinical placement bogging me down. Also, got Scrivener and iA Writer sitting here and it would be nice to justify the price I paid for them.

Can it be more about the word count than actually completing the full thing? I've been slowly building a novel idea for the past six years or so (wall behind the computer is plastered with mad ramblings), never once been able to put fingers to keyboard to word processor about it, think NaNoWriMo could be a good way to externally motivate myself but am guessing that this idea won't be half-over in 50k/30 days. Are they after the full story arc in a month or is it more about putting the effort in to get to the word count?

Purveyor of Fine Ladies
    It is all about word count.

50,000 words is a lot of fucking words.

Purveyor of Fine Ladies
    It is. It's about 1,700 words a day. But once again, it doesn't have to be good, it just has to get done. It's just the first draft, not the finished product.

Beast Master
    I've had stories and shit in my head since forever, but I always get frustrated when putting them down because I feel I'm just plain and simply a poor writer. When I try fleshing out things it always seems to be too little on the page, and artificially lengthening isn't any good.

That said, I'm going to make it a point to write something for this.

Signed up.

I'll be cheating a bit using my werewolf game fluff to get a decent start. Hell, my head hurts enough already just doing that.