Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: FTL - Fear The...something

FUCK YEAH, JUST BEAT IT.

Special shout out to Pizza and Tangible, who lost their lives because my teleporter was damaged and couldn't get them back to the ship in time. The Mantis people will sing songs of your endeavors in the years to come.

Firebombs OP.

Guest1234
    I can't type fast enough at work, and I feel annoyed at least 3 times a day because I can't do my job quickly enough. The kb/mouse are inadequate for me in general. I want my stream of consciousness to form words on my screen, but until I have that, work is too slow. I don't feel that with games so much, but I can't agree with you on the PC controls being adequate. That shit (kb) was designed to slow you down.

Plus, I feel like I'm playing on a Star Trek console.

It also autopauses for you when selecting targets or telling people where to go. Instead of mashing the space bar I just drag my finger wherever I please and the game pauses itself.

I guess it's just preference.

I NEED to unlock the Mantis and Rock ships now, so I'll be busy doing that. I also got one of those crystal guys, but was in sector 8 already so I didn't have time to finish that quest. Kind of a bummer.

Guest1234
    Preference requires trying more than one thing, right? PC master race over here or something? I didn't say the PC version was shit, just that it makes sense on tablets.

No need to be so dismissive about it :/

Edit: Got the engi ship unlocked, I don't really enjoy it, but how are you supposed to play it? Missiles, no missiles? What? Maybe I'm just doing it wrong.

Lol, I didn't mean it like that. Some people will like the keyboard controls, some won't. That's all!

And if you play with the Engi ship, you'll want to keep an eye out for the "Droid Recovery Arm" augmentation, as it adds back droids you've used in battles that aren't busted. It's always best too to only focus on a few offensive systems as upgrading all of them evenly tends to weaken you late-game.

The immediate offensive option with the Engi ship is to set its Ion Cannon to autofire on the shields while your drones work their magic. I find you're better off amassing more drones than trying to install more offensive weapons. You'd be surprised just how aggressive even two basic attack drones can be, and for only 4 power too.

I managed to unlock the Rock ship awhile back but I'm afraid to try it. I mean, its only weapon systems are missiles. I can only afford so many missiles.

I'm trying to unlock the Stealth Ship. I ran into the Rebel Stronghold sector and tried my hand at it to unlock the Federation Cruiser. Big mistake. Even a simple drone had two shields, a hacking module, and a missile launcher + burst laser. Even as I try to jump away I fly right into a Rebel cruiser with largely the same load out and now I have a 4-man boarding party fucking up my shit. Holy crap never again.

[Level 13: Clever Girl]
    Quote Originally Posted by StriderHoang View Post
    The immediate offensive option with the Engi ship is to set its Ion Cannon to autofire on the shields while your drones work their magic. I find you're better off amassing more drones than trying to install more offensive weapons. You'd be surprised just how aggressive even two basic attack drones can be, and for only 4 power too.

I managed to unlock the Rock ship awhile back but I'm afraid to try it. I mean, its only weapon systems are missiles. I can only afford so many missiles.

I'm trying to unlock the Stealth Ship. I ran into the Rebel Stronghold sector and tried my hand at it to unlock the Federation Cruiser. Big mistake. Even a simple drone had two shields, a hacking module, and a missile launcher + burst laser. Even as I try to jump away I fly right into a Rebel cruiser with largely the same load out and now I have a 4-man boarding party fucking up my shit. Holy crap never again.
    Kick as much ass as you can on the first two sectors, then buy laser weapons at the store and phase out the missiles.

Did the pacifism run achievement (get to sector 5 without firing a shot) on my first attempt. Surprisingly easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Corduroy Turtle View Post
    Did the pacifism run achievement (get to sector 5 without firing a shot) on my first attempt. Surprisingly easy.
    Did you just upgrade the shit out of your engines and shields?

Quote Originally Posted by pk fire View Post
    Did you just upgrade the shit out of your engines and shields?
    I just ran. I was using the Zoltan (sp?) ship so I had the super shield to protect me while the engines charged.

Guest1234
    Quote Originally Posted by pk fire View Post
    And if you play with the Engi ship, you'll want to keep an eye out for the "Droid Recovery Arm" augmentation, as it adds back droids you've used in battles that aren't busted. It's always best too to only focus on a few offensive systems as upgrading all of them evenly tends to weaken you late-game.
    I had a chance to buy it, but I was 1 part away from getting it. I tried to scout the surrounding areas for more parts, but of course the game is like "LOL NOPE EMPTY SPACE"

Yeah, definitely. It's still fun to try and play different ways, but goddamn, that last boss annihilates you if you don't have a superior run from the get-go.

If you're not rocking offense drones, Ion cannon, repeating lasers and a halberd beam, you're fucked. Oh, and the shields to withstand the fight, hull repair drones to heal between rounds, and a full complement of crew so you don't leave a system unmanned when you get boarded in the most inopportune rooms. And a shitload of points in the engine, maxed out cockpit and doors to slow those fuckers down, and have half of your crew Engi so that they can simply repair your broken shit in enough time to not have another missile dick rammed up your ass.

Playing with the Mantis Cruiser right now, and I haven't even been able to leave the second zone. They're so ill-equipped, there's no fucking sensors, and fuck the teleporter.

An upgraded teleporter can be pretty badass. You just have to hope you collect more crewmen early on.
    Last edited by Corduroy Turtle; 04-14-2014 at 08:23 PM.

No sensors? That's gotta be rough. Does the Mantis teleporter still only allow you to teleport two people at a time?

Quote Originally Posted by Corduroy Turtle View Post
    An upgraded teleported can be pretty badass. You just have to hope you collect more crewmen early on.
    That sounds like the only way to win with them, honestly. Better hope you get lots of crew members to send raiders over in mass quantities.

Seems same to me. The UI improvements are appreciated though.

I'm only now realizing that as rare as it is for me to get mantis or rockmen, slugs really are the rarest but they are just the most valuable. Constant intel even in nebulas is so useful. I once tried to teleport boarders to the flagship with a clone bay. It was funny to see a constant stream of teleports even when they died but they constantly hacked my weapons + cloaked and made it impossible for me to do real damage. I just jumped away in two separate engagements and just let them destroy the base to get it over with. They always hacked my weapons despite my boarding strategy.

Do Defense Drones protect incoming hack bots? Never tried.

I know Mark II is supposed to protect against a wide array of things but I've never seen it happen personally. Still, I've seen missiles and attack drones get struck down by lasers so anything might be possible. Course depending on what system it targets it might as well be impossible.

I've had lasers knock out Hacking droids. If they collide with other projectiles they'll go down, so it's more of just a luck thing. I believe that the Mark II does not specifically fire at incoming hacking droids, but if the laser it shoots happens to collide with it first instead of its intended target, it'll probably destroy it.