Page 24 of 145 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 34 74 124 ... LastLast

Thread: Werewolf Variant- Offshoots/Experiments/Concurrent Games

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    Dex, you were correct in your guesses. As the investigator I could either find a gate or find an acolyte that made an attack. However, if I was to find a gate, then my first post of that day phase had to be no more than 10 words and each following post would have to be -1 word. That was a real pain in the ass. Also, I'm sad I got noobspoon killed. Literally, my only clue was that the attacker was "new around these parts." Later, Nihil said that the reason that that was my only clue (I was supposed to be allowed 3) was because the attacker hasn't posted much. Noob fit the description. However, Fraser had posted even less that I completely missed him. On top of that, I didn't realize that I could only find physical attackers and not mental attackers. Had I realized that, I would have called off the lynching of noob once Nihil told me that we killed the person (Fraser) who had attacked me/Marco the night before.

Honkey Kong
    Yeah, I rolled for data that "would pretty much tell you if someone is a Dark One or not".

I got back "Mxy smells and is bug eyed."

Yeah, every criticism is pretty much accurate. Never having played a game before, it was hard seeing what was balanced and what needed more tweaking, especially when trying to scale with the numbers. And never having hosted, and also being a big dumb-dumb head, my clues for the team weren't clear as they could have been. Granted, that was the idea with how Used rolled to look into mxy (average, rather than well or horrible), and the clues for the investigator role to figure out.

I apologize for it being more complicated than it needed to be, I even lost track a times. Didn't help that I underestimated how busy I'd be the past week getting this motorcycle shit locked down.

But I'm super fucking grateful that you guys were down with the idea, despite how half baked it kinda was, and I definitely learned a lot.

I'll still post an overall playback, but I'm gonna be busy all fuckin day again. You can get started on another variant game in the meanwhile if that's what's up.

Honkey Kong
    I think if you tweak it for a smaller audience it could be great. Like Dex said, the Team was pretty OP. And now that you're playing a game you can see what it's like to not hold all the cards so you'll have a better understanding of the player's thought process. But to be honest I can bitch all I want but I've never ran a game myself so take it with a grain of salt because I don't know what it's like from that perspective.

Same here. I think this game would have been a helluva lot better if it was larger like the main game is now. Also, the Investigator role's eccentricity was too constraining. Probably would have been better if it was extended to 15 words or if I didn't have to worry about the -1 aspect and just kept all posts to 10 or less words.

Bringer of Truth
    Quote Originally Posted by usedtabe View Post
    I think if you tweak it for a smaller audience it could be great. Like Dex said, the Team was pretty OP. And now that you're playing a game you can see what it's like to not hold all the cards so you'll have a better understanding of the player's thought process. But to be honest I can bitch all I want but I've never ran a game myself so take it with a grain of salt because I don't know what it's like from that perspective.
    Running it is interesting, ESPECIALLY when you're using new/tweaked roles. Not everything works out the way you intended for it to.

A good example is the game where you were the investigator. I had to come up with clues that were able to be figured out without being too obvious. This is extra tricky because to me it's INSANELY obvious: I knew ZP was the bad guy you were looking for and it was so easy to see that he was the one posting all the stuff.

However YOU had to read everybody's posts and glossed over some of his more subtle things, so it took awhile to figure it out.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Does anyone want to host the next one? If not, I have a few ideas I've been cooking up for awhile.

Honkey Kong
    We have Byronic sounding game about to start in here. I don't know what's up for the main game after this one.

We have Byronic sounding game about to start in here. I don't know what's up for the main game after this one.
    Oh, is that the one from the graveyard thread? For some reason I thought it was actually occurring there too.

Also, my idea has potential to be broken as hell, so it being a main game is probably a bad idea.

Honkey Kong
    This thread was made for concurrent and experimental games. Before it we ran em in the Graveyard (and Byronic still might) but it will probably be in here. But they don't last long. At all.

This thread was made for concurrent and experimental games. Before it we ran em in the Graveyard (and Byronic still might) but it will probably be in here. But they don't last long. At all.
    That's what she said

Player list:

1. Panzadolphin
    2. Usedtabe
    3. ZP
    4. Muckfoot
    5. Dexter
    6. CB
    7. MarcoSnow
    8. DJNeal
    9. Flamoctapus

Rules:

You're all more or less familiar with how the classic game works but just to re-establish things here's a quick summary:

The game is divided into night phases and day phases. During the night phase, players with roles related to night time activities communicate with me. The night usually ends with the death of one player at the hands of the Werewolves, discovered at the beginning of the day phase. During the day phase, players on the Villager team communicate publicly with each other in order to find out who the Werewolves are and, ideally, lynch them. Players on the Werewolves team may lie, manipulate others and resist detection as best they can. The wolves win when all the Villager team is killed; the villagers win when all the wolves are exterminated.

Roles are allotted secretly. You can claim to be whatever role you at at any time in the game - I won't stop you from that. The only thing you can't do is quote anything from the pm where you received your role. Bear in mind, the game tends to be more fun when players on the whole remain mysterious about their roles.

The roles you'll be seeing in this game are as follows:

Werewolves: Several players in this game will be werewolves. During the night phase, they secretly communicate with each other via PM on the topic of who they would like to kill.
    Seer: Once a night, PMs me with the name of a player whose team they would like to know. Is on the Villager team.
    Guardian Angel: Each night, assigns a player of their choice to serve as the Bodyguard until the following day. Cannot assign him/herself.
    Vigilante: Upon death, the Vigilante picks another player to die alongside him/her. Is on the Villager team.
    Cupid: At the very beginning of the game, Cupid PMs me with the names of two players he/she chooses to become Lovers. Cupid may choose him/herself to be a Lover, if that is his/her heart's desire. Cupid then reverts to being a perfectly normal player on the Villager team.
    Thief: At the beginning of the game, the Thief is given the choice of a few roles that are left over from when roles have been dealt. I won't tell you how many roles there are but rest assured it is more than the total number of players. The Thief picks one of these leftovers and adopts that role for the game. **For a game of this size, if a Werewolf role is one of the options available to the Thief, he/she must choose that role.**
    Villagers: A normal everyday player with no special powers. Sorry. Is on the Villager team.

Roles attributed during the course of the game:

Lovers:
    Picked by Cupid, two players are given the Lovers role in addition to their other role. The two players are then informed by me that they are to fall hopelessly in love with each other, which entails that on the death of one Lover, the other Lover also dies. Since their love is shameful, knowledge of the Lovers is secret only to Cupid and the Lovers themselves. Lovers can only win the game if they survive until the end. If the Lovers consist of a Villager and a Werewolf, they can only win by being the last two players alive at the game's end.

Bodyguard:
    Assigned nightly by the Guardian Angel, this player is granted the ability to defend a player of their choice from a wolf attack. The role expires come the following day phase, as does their protection. The Bodyguard is not able to protect him/herself.

The Sheriff:
    During the day phase, the village may decide to appoint one of the players as a Sheriff. The Sheriff role stacks with the appointed player's primary role and gives them the advantage of their lynching vote carrying twice the weight. In other words, during the vote to lynch, the Sheriff's vote counts twice. In the event of a tie during lynching, the mob rules in favour of whichever side the Sheriff supported. If the Sheriff dies, that player must immediately deputise another player who then takes up the mantle of Sheriff. And when that Sheriff dies, the badge is passed on again, and so on.

In order to nominate someone for Sheriff, simply post who you nominate in bold. The player with the most votes is the one who gets the Sheriff's badge. If at least half the village wants to abstain nobody becomes Sheriff. If more than half the village tries to nominate for a Sheriff, the one with the most votes gets it. In the case of a tie where all the nominations for a Sheriff are for a single player, and the number equals the total number of abstains, no-one is elected. The process repeats each day until a Sheriff is elected.

Lynching:

During the day phase, players simply put forward their vote on who they want to lynch or if they want to abstain. If more players vote to abstain than vote to lynch any single player, no lynching occurs. If more people want to kill a particular player than want to abstain, however, the player who receives the most votes against them is executed. In the event of a tie where all the votes to lynch are for a single player and equals all the votes to abstain, mob rule rules and lynching occurs.

Players can either voice their nomination in bold publicly, or PM them to me privately. Once all votes are in, I call the phase, reveal how the votes went and enact the appropriate result.

If the day phase is dragging because we're still waiting on players to put in their votes, I'll give a heads up that we're to move on with the game. If necessary (e.g. a good few hours later), I'll simply call an end to the phase with any unresolved votes counting as 'abstain.'

tl;dr

In the event of a tie during lynching, the mob rules in favour of whichever side the Sheriff supported.
    The Guardian Angel Role, and the subsequent Bodyguard role.
    The Thief must choose a Werewolf role, if available.

Game Begin

Once upon a time there lived a dreary rain-drenched town where everyone was miserable. The inhabitants of this town were to varying degrees normal. It was quintessential and not at all philosophical. Some were superstitious, favouring the mystical over more pragmatic jobs such as carpentry or plumbery, and so were in possession of talents that make relevance to mechanics in this game.

One night - and it was a perfectly normal night in every single regard bar one - as everyone lay in their little beds sleeping their little dreams, some of these superstitious villagers ran whatever errands were available to them. Perhaps there was Seeing to be done, or people to fall in Love, or stuff to be Stolen, or protection to Appoint. Sounds fancy but it was all pretty standard stuff for this boring wee town.

Except for one fact. Just a small fact, easily overlooked if you weren't thinking about it. Barely anybody took heed of this fact, for instance, it was so inconspicuous. But factual it was, and pertaining to some vital information that might have been of some use to the village in advance.

Werewolves were about. And they were hungry.

Night 1. The Villager Sleeps.

I'm sending out PMs at the moment so please check your inboxes or clear them out as need be.

Bringer of Truth
    My inbox is clear BTW.

zzz

As is usual on day one, I abstain.

On a side note, has there ever been a day one lynching?

Honkey Kong
    It's night phase yo. You young kids need to turn your voting down and quit waking me up a 2am.

[Level 6: Robot]
    More like Failoctapus, its night dude :P

*goes back to lurking*

Bringer of Truth
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamoctapus View Post
    As is usual on day one, I abstain.

On a side note, has there ever been a day one lynching?
    I think we did one time.

In my game I put the stuff with the object (and one person of each group knowing they'd be a wolf) as a way to get SOME conversation going on day one, but no such luck.

ZZZzzzZZZzzzZZZ

*cue defensive comment about sleeptalking. Sorry.