Page 1 of 99 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread: Werewolf Variant- Offshoots/Experiments/Concurrent Games

Honkey Kong

Werewolf Variant- Offshoots/Experiments/Concurrent Games

We have a home for our monsters. Let them loose here.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Quote Originally Posted by usedtabe View Post
    We have a home for our monsters. Let them loose here.
    Awesomo.

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    I would like to see how my version of Werewolf would work with the portals and insanity meter, but I don't have the time nor patience to actually run a game. Would anyone be willing to take my idea and hammer out the details/balance the game out. I'd certainly be willing to bounce ideas off one another.

Quote Originally Posted by djnealb View Post
    The problem I see is that you have too many teams and too many rules that it becomes more confusing than fun. How about something like this:

The Occultists have opened several Portals around the town and are very close to finally summoning forth the Old Ones, including the great Cthulhu. However, a wandering student from the nearby Miskatonic University saw them and followed as they were opening the Portals, and ran back to the village to warn the Villagers when they had finished. He told them of the Portals and the hooded Occultists, but before he could give the details of where the Portals were and who the Occultists were, the lingering insanity from his proximity to the Portals finally caught up to him and killed him instantly (for he was a young soul and could not handle the stress of such dark forces, unlike the Villagers). Now it is up to the Villagers to find and close the Portals and stop the Occultists from reopening them. However, the Occultists were also in the village as the poor student told his story, and now know that they must kill the Villagers before they can stop their beloved and feared Old Ones from returning.

Basically, this would be a classic Werewolf game, but with the added layers of the Portals and an Insanity Meter. Teams would consist of their usual players (Seer, Bodyguard, Vigilante, etc.). There would be a location board like in BSG and Battle Royale. Players would either move to a new location each day (one space at a time) or stay where they are and, depending on their proximity to the Portals, their insanity meter would either increase, decrease, or stay the same. If the meter fills, then that player goes insane and can take no actions for that day or night. The meter returns to normal the next day. Occultists do not go insane (since they made the Portals, afterall) but they can pretend to if they wish (if they pretend to go insane, then they cannot be a part of the nightly killing, as a goodhearted NPC will be watching over them at night). If a player thinks they've found a Portal, they PM the GM that night to do a search of their location. If they are a special role like Seer or Bodyguard, then they cannot use their special action that night, as they are preoccupied with their search. Also, a successful search will add even more to the Insanity Meter, thus risking an episode of Insanity and possibly forcing the player to wait a day before claiming success. When a Portal is found, all players must convene to that location and chant to close the Portal. Since it's an all day affair, there are no votes or hangings that day, but the Occultists also do not get a kill.

This is something that I just thought of off the top of my head. It takes a lot from Nihil's design, but streamlines it a lot to make it less confusing and more like a standard Werewolf game.
    I like this design as well, since yeah, it's more streamlined. To be honest, I don't think the rules for my design will be that convoluted on the whole. With the scale for how encounters go down, determining deaths should be nigh automatic. With the extra roles, the things that are left open for people to decide on is how they want to change their strategy, leaving for a lot of room for choice and roleplay.

LEVIATHAN!!

I'm in for whatever game may come.

Almost done cooking up all the mechanics for my doomed idea. All I need are some guinea pigs to pour it on.

Honkey Kong
    I'm in.

Does that mean sign-ups start now??

I'm not sure if people want more themes/ideas to choose from before doing anything or if I should make another thread or what.

I'm in, I said so up there under that thing that was all bold and whatnot.

Two things: 1. I'm guessing experimental games will be done here, rather than having their own one-off threads? 2. Is it unanimous the there be one experimental game going at a time?

Just curious. And hungry.

Honkey Kong
    Yeah. All experiments/offshoots will run here. No more threads lol.

How dare you be online during Gears, asshole.

Last thing: I dunno which version ya'll wanna try more. I'm willing to run the game according to dj's rules after conferring with him, but I'd like to see my version in action more. Because it's mine. And it'll be fucking nuts.

If you wanna do yours, do yours.

Yeah, do your's if you want to. After the game we can go over what worked and what didn't and then decide if we want to try it like mine or not. Oh, and ​I'm in of course.

THE MR.E BIRD
    Watch me do me.

17. 10-20-2012, 01:28 PM
    Reason
    Look towards page 4 for new edition of the rules

Fifth Dimensional Admin
    I'm in, I'll need to re-read the rules a few more times to be sure I get everything though. Sounds very cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Mxy Yost View Post
    I'm in, I'll need to re-read the rules a few more times to be sure I get everything though. Sounds very cool!
    Thanks, tried my damnedest to balance shit out.

Again, I'm in, but, like Mxy, I think I need to read the rules a few times as well. Also, I would like to point out that in the Lovecraft stories, I believe they were called the Old Ones, not the Dark Ones. That's why I called them as such in my version. Of course, I've only read one collection and I didn't even care that much for them (except for a few), so I could be thinking of something else.

Quote Originally Posted by djnealb View Post
    Again, I'm in, but, like Mxy, I think I need to read the rules a few times as well. Also, I would like to point out that in the Lovecraft stories, I believe they were called the Old Ones, not the Dark Ones. That's why I called them as such in my version. Of course, I've only read one collection and I didn't even care that much for them (except for a few), so I could be thinking of something else.
    You're correct, but the Old Ones are the big dogs on campus that if brought back, will bring about the apocalypse. Cthulhu, Dagon, etc. My so-called Dark Ones are just minions of an unspecified Old One, akin to the Deep Ones who worship Dagon.