Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The General Game Fund Thread

[Level 5: Mech]

dtoidevil The General Game Fund Thread

Hi all, I'd thought I'd start a 'general crowdsourced project' thread (I decided to avoid using 'crowdsource' in the title, because I've heard it irks people), so everyone can post some links of anything interesting they've found in Kickstarter/Indiegogo/another site.

Feel free to put down, for example;

- A project you think should be championed/has any good ideas (links, reasons why).

- A project we should avoid like the plague/laugh at (links, evidence).

This can include, for example, anything videogame-related (not just games, but books, media, merchandise, etc).

Giving an example of interesting stuff I've noticed (and starting us off), I recently chipped in for the Loading bar project on Indiegogo. It was covered in the article about the Solid Snake image constructed in shot glasses at their existing bar. The interesting thing was that I managed to get an email of thanks from one of the guys involved in the project. This included a PSN code for a game, which impressed me a bit.

The second project I've discovered (and ending soon!) is a book about Sensible Software. It's available as a very expensive reward at $38 + $10 shipping to the US, but it has already made its funding target.

Now, I'm hoping you can continue this thread with an added brand of humour (which I so sorely lack in this post)... -_- Go!

The sensible software thing looks interesting, used to love Cannon Fodder as a kid.

Apart from that the only kickstarters that I've been interested in are over already - Tex Murphy, Broken Sword and that Planetary Annihilation game.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    War, never been so much fun.

http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/10/11/st...ame-spaceship/

I was never really into Wing Commander but that does look awesome. Also, Star Wars.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...f=discover_rec

Kirby's Dream Band is a great name for the group. And their rewards look pretty good towards any funding of their album.

I'll get a pre-release CD if the shipping is sensible.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1438429768/maia

So this sounds awesome. I love me so Bullfrog and 70's sci-fi.

http://www.maiagame.com/

Website totally made me think about Alien aswell

Right, a couple of new projects.

L.A Game Space 'will explore what video games can be through residencies, exhibitions, research labs, speaker series, and workshops'. It sounds awesome, AND it shouldn't be too far from where Destructoid HQ is based.

Granted, it may only be of use for groups primarily within reach of L.A., but I don't think we should let that deprive the place from churning out something of use to the industry.

The next project has already been covered by Dtoid: Elite: Dangerous. This is more of an update on the proposed space-sim sequel... in spite of a lofty 1.25 million goal, it has already reached (at time of typing) over 357,000. And it still has 56 days left to acheive more funds.

New post about Fist of Awesome, an iOS/Android game where you are A BEARDED MAN BEATING UP BEARS AND DINOSAURS.

I can't see nobody from Destructoid funding this. Nope. Also, look at the even more awesome Kickstarter introduction video if you have the time.

[Level 3: Humanoid]
    Ok, this video is pretty terrible. But the concept tickles the reptilian part of my brain...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...king-and-tiles

Right, I'm back and I'm bumping this thread. :P

First up is Videogame: The Movie. It has already reached the funding goal, and is heading towards the stretch level of being able to purchase the rights to the music featured in the film. As for my interest, I'm waiting on the blu-ray of From Bedrooms to Billions instead. It still has eight days left on funding, so if you don't want to miss out, get to it.

Also, if you are a fan of the original Neverhood game, you have 17 days to fund Armikrog, it's spiritual successor. It's only over halfway to being funded.

As a resident of Norfolk (UK), I'm pleased to see that there's a Great Yarmouth-based developer publishing their own off-road truck game, Spintires. It's already funded AND an award-winner. With only three days left, it is unlikely to meet the stretch goal to add VS multiplayer/internal cockpit view, but hey, at least we got the co-op multiplayer goal.

If you are interested in reading about the Japanese game development scene, this book will have you covered, unless it ends up missing the funding target. Atm, it is half-way threre.

What's more on the publishing front is Boss Fight Books. So far, five books/e-books have been developed, with a sixth about a secretly nominated game. If you are interested in Earthbound, Galaga, ZZT, Super Mario 2 or Jagged Alliance 2, then this should interest you. And look at those covers....

Thanks for the update, Panza.

A live-action web series on Final Fantasy VII is being funded. Check the concept trailer if it helps you decide on whether to fund it or not.

Chroma Squad, featured on Dtoid's front page, is almost 4/5ths funded. You like the idea of managing a television sentai-squad to stardom with RPG fighting and stuff? Go for it.

Finally, although this appears under the umbrella of 'cosplay' than 'gaming', the second Cosplay in America book already has some good photos. The Femshep in the header is pretty striking. Be warned; I spotted one of those portly male Sailor Moon cosplayers in one of the thumbnails.

One of my favourite animated shows as a kid, The Mysterious Cities of Gold, not only has a new series, but a videogame too! I already got a heads-up from a c-blog a while ago, but when I saw that there was a kickstarter to get the game to be released outside of French-speaking territories, I jumped at the chance to own it. At time of typing, its over two/thirds of the way towards being funded with four weeks still to go, so it is on course. A December release is expected for iOS, PC, WiiU and 3DS.

To tide us over, here's the theme tune to the original show;

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you were wondering, yes, Uwe Boll is asking us for money for a sequel to his Postal movie. With 55 days to get half-a-million dollars, it'll be interesting to see whether his rep will help or hinder funding.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Death Road to Canada is yet another zombie game. It is also another zombie game that seems to put yet another new spin/s on the genre to (once again) avoid being stale. Seriously, watch the video to see what I mean. If being able to teach animals to drive vehicles and an endorsement from the developer of Dwarf Fortress doesn't move you, nothing will. And if you don't like being told what to do, cool it.

After three iOS games, this will be Rocketcat Games' first PC game. With 25 days to go and about two/thirds funded, it looks certainly set to be that way.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh yeah, that Kenji Inafune game that's Mega Man but not? Yeah, it was covered on the front page, and now over half-way to its target.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Want to give your smartphone the Oculus Rift treatment? This might be the closest thing I've seen. However, I have two issues with this: it looks like a giant smartphone has been strapped to your eyes at a distance, and the name, vrAse? Looks like an anagram of vArse. The 250+ backers covering a fifth of its funding don't seem to mind, though.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At time of typing, there are only TWO HOURS left on this fund, so by the time you read this, it may have finished. The good news, though, is that the book Every Day is Play has met its funding target, so if you ask those responsible if you can get a copy after funding, maybe they'll give you a positive answer.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a final note, the Cosplay in America book (that I mentioned in an above post) has managed to be funded.

Admin / Midget King
    The Mysterious Cities of Gold was awesome.

Agreed.

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    I'm a bit surprised that the Video Games Live kickstarter hasn't been mentioned. This only has nine days left, and I'm honestly surprised it hasn't been fully funded yet. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...ers-of-the-wor

[Level 12: CHET]
    Quote Originally Posted by Batthink View Post
    One of my favourite animated shows as a kid, The Mysterious Cities of Gold, not only has a new series, but a videogame too! I already got a heads-up from a c-blog a while ago, but when I saw that there was a kickstarter to get the game to be released outside of French-speaking territories, I jumped at the chance to own it. At time of typing, its over two/thirds of the way towards being funded with four weeks still to go, so it is on course. A December release is expected for iOS, PC, WiiU and 3DS.

To tide us over, here's the theme tune to the original show;

FUCKIN' A. Loved this series as a child. I grew up with it back in the early 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Everyday Legend View Post
    FUCKIN' A. Loved this series as a child. I grew up with it back in the early 80's.
    ...and now you'll have even more reason to be happy, because the game has now reached its funding target! Not only that, the original English voice actress for Zia, Janice Steinburg, has given some words of encouragement for the developers. Speaking of which, the developers in question have started on the PC version early as a result of the good progress.

But that is nothing compared to how much Mighty No.9, Kenji Inafune's game, has been raking in; it is at 193% of its original fund target, and with 25 days still left!

Here's a link for the new Shantae game covered on the front page. With Wayforward basically being all-round awesome, it shouldn't have any problem with funding (at half-way at time of typing).

Also, is this console idea legit or not? With just shy of $1000 raised and nine days left, I think a lot of people aren't willing to part with their cash on this. Any opinions/ideas?
    Last edited by Batthink; 09-06-2013 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Correcting a link

This may look like one of the many games made in RPGMaker, but with an interesting twist in plot; you play as one of the many ransacked-home-by-the-hero NPCs and your quest is to get back your pendant from a particularly stuck-up party. This has passed the funding target and several stretch-goals. With 18 days to go, it is about two-thirds through towards its highest goal.

Also, you may have noticed Fist of Awesome earlier in this thread. It has earned a Kindle release so if you have one, it may be worth picking up considering the positive customer ratings it has got.

Bumping this thread again....

Remember this article? Well, Chris Carter might be wrong, because I spotted this Bugbear project today. I say, 'might be wrong', because a title like 'Next Car Game' sounds uninspiring. Somebody purchase them the rights to the D-Derby name.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are a fan of CD-ROM-based adventure games, the third game in the 7th Guest series is awaiting your money. Will the horror game get funded? Only time will tell.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally, an opportunity to get an online archive of video game history has been achieved on the last day of funding. With seven hours left at the time of typing, it has almost double its funding target.