Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bayonetta 2

[Level 7: Sentinel]

Bayonetta 2

Exclusive to WiiU WTF!!?!?

(I apologize for any typos and odd grammar; this post, like 99% of what I do on Dtoid, is written on my phone.)

Confirmed post-03/13 release date
    Publisher: Nintendo
    Producer: Atsushi Inaba (head and founder of P*)
    Director: Yosuke Hashimoto (Kamiya, the series creator, is supervising the project from beginning to end)

Speculation:
    I initially thought this was a collaboration between Sega and Nintendo like most third party 'exclusives', but then Sega has been outed as not being involved beyond advisory capacity, leading me to believe that this is all Nintendo's project. The history behind this games leads me to believe that Sega had desired to make a sequel (they were working on it shortly after the first game's release), but halted the process due to their financial woes, with Nintendo picking up the pieces. Sega clearly licensed the IP to them, but did they fully sell exclusivityand ownership of the existing work? Could there be a Xbox3/PS4 release?

I'm glad P* is getting lots of high profile work, like a Metal Gear spinoff and now a Nintendo not-quite-launch title, and they're the second highest trending term on twitter... But I sure hope they flex their delayed-exclusive muscles to sell more copies on other consoles, too.

9/14/12: http://platinumgames.com/2012/09/14/...-101-on-wii-u/

Total failure on Sega's part to not push forward on this, launching on WiiU to get the Nintendo fanfare associated with its insane hardware sales, reap the profits, and still expand to multiplat when the next gens release. I'm glad P* is getting lots of publicity joining with the behemoth Nintendo's big announcements, but totally disappointed in Sega for dropping the ball.

7/4/13:

Gameplay video!
    Last edited by Arttemis; 07-04-2013 at 12:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arttemis View Post
    Exclusive to WiiU WTF!!?

No involvement by Hideki Kamiya, oddly enough.
    Indeed, wtf.

Still no reason to buy the next Gamecube though.

Getting a Wii U now. This and Pikmin are gonna be the bomb.

[Level 5: Mech]
    Yeah this does make the WiiU even more tempting now...

Publisher: Nintendo, but Sega still owns licensing fee (hopefully multiplat when next gen games release)
    I would not get my hopes up on this one. MGS Twin Snakes never happened on another platform because Nintendo footed the bill and had employee's fingers in the development pie. Same thing with The Last Story - Nintendo always had the final say how and when that game was released because of this fact. Same thing with Microsoft Game Studios and the original Mass Effect, which has never left 360 or Windows - you will seriously never see that game on PS3, Wii you or anything else. Not if MS has anything to say about it. If EA can't pry that one loose, who can?

If Sega wouldn't even foot the bill and Nintendo had to swoop in to make Bayonetta 2 happen, you can bet Nintendo has people in the project and that both Sega and Platinum are contractually obligated to keep it exclusive, same as the above games.

I really hope that this finds its way to other consoles at some point. There's no way in hell I'm getting a Wii U, but I absolutely loved Bayonetta. It was so insane, so Japanese. There's not enough of that kind of game these days.

Yeah, I can't believe Sega abandoned this series instead of pushing to get it released themselves closer to WiiU's launch, and still retain the ability to sell it again on other platforms when they come. I don't know about Nintendo employees in the dev team, as it sounds like many of the original team are back, including some supervision by Kamiya, but Sega is nothing more than an "advisor", which I'm sure means they're advising Nintendo on where to send P*'s paycheck since they're not footing it at all this time.

I really want this to do well, but being a new Nintendo console capable of normally controlled games, I think this will blow the first out of the water in the sales department, regardless of how many hardcore non-Nintendo pro-Bayonetta fans decide to boycott it.

King of Ties 'n' Gifs 'n' Shit
    Bayonetta made it's debut on the PS3 and 360 so I actually don't think it will sell like hot cakes on the Wii-U, I actually think it will be considered a failure when compared to systems sold.

The Wii was snagged by parents around the world and no matter, Nintendo is still seen as the "Family system" and you can bet that parents will not be picking this game up when they buy a Wii-U.
    Last edited by Mix; 09-14-2012 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Content bitches!

Bayonetta's the greatest game ever!!!

of this gen. lol.

totally buying a Wii2 now when this game comes out!!

as a matter of fact, I'm canceling my Epic Mickey 2 pre-order so I can pick up Wii2 version!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mix View Post
    Bayonetta made it's debut on the PS3 and 360 so I actually don't think it will sell like hot cakes on the Wii-U, I actually think it will be considered a failure when compared to systems sold.

The Wii was snagged by parents around the world and no matter, Nintendo is still seen as the "Family system" and you can bet that parents will not be picking this game up when they buy a Wii-U.
    Yeah, thinking about it, Mad World did nothing in terms of sales. I think the difference here is that Bayonetta 2 will be released really early in the console's life, without much competition. Also, the parents who bought a family Wii and will get a family WiiU will have access to traditionally appealing games that don't require waggle (unless tablet gimmicky shit takes over, like half the "features" in ZombiU), and they'll actually look impressive and HD. Older kids very well might want to get in in this action.

Quote Originally Posted by JEKKI View Post
    Bayonetta's the greatest game ever!!!

of this gen. lol.

totally buying a Wii2 now when this game comes out!!

as a matter of fact, I'm canceling my Epic Mickey 2 pre-order so I can pick up Wii2 version!!
    Hell yeah, it is. The nuance in combining soft lock combat mechanics seamlessly in the very technical, hard lock combat was great, and the customization options were very satisfying, and the dynamic environments blew my mind. Combine that flawless gameplay with an enjoyable story and TONS of content, and you get arguably the best action game made.

I can't even imagine what they'll do with double the ram and more powerful processors. I think shit will be even more insane.

It's definitely made me more interested in the Wii U but I'll still need to see more of what they're packing that isn't ported 3rd party games. I bought a Wii for Metroid and Zelda and both of those ended up letting me down so it fell to the wayside.

Quote Originally Posted by Konnery View Post
    It's definitely made me more interested in the Wii U but I'll still need to see more of what they're packing that isn't ported 3rd party games. I bought a Wii for Metroid and Zelda and both of those ended up letting me down so it fell to the wayside.
    I'm hoping you mean you were let down by Twilight Princess and Metroid Other M becuse those were disappointing. Metroid Prime 3, MP Trilogy and Skyward Sword were all great.

I still threaten to cut anyone that gets near Metroid Prime Trilogy. That is MINE.

Twilight Princess I didn't like because it ran like three dungeons too long, the dog howling and then that whole magnet effect to the iron boots was like nails on a chalkboard to me. TP was below par for sound design as Zelda games go. I also hated that Hyrule Field was a load of nothing to ride a horse or run as a wolf across.

Other M... gameplay was Metroid Lite and that I could deal with. I can even accept the premise of the plot, its just the execution of said plot is terrible and Samus goes all rambly expository like its Ghost in the Shell but nothing she says is as coherent as what Motoko or Batou would talk about.

As for Bayonetta 2 - better an exclusive sequel than no sequel at all. Whatever the reason is for Wii U Premimum reserves selling out, apparently Nintendo's little showing worked out rather well. Bayonetta was really just a bonus for me.

Idk, I preferred the Metroids on the Gamecube. The last few months I had a Wii I just used it to play Gamecube games I never had the chance to play. I got rid of it before Other M and Skyward Sword hit though so I can't comment on those.

Totally agree with your TP complaints though. I initially really enjoyed it but after a while it stopped bringing anything exciting. I really loved the art style and the fights and I'd probably end up giving it around a 7.5-8 which isn't terrible, but it definitely didn't hold a candle to Wind Waker. That game was fucking brilliant.

[Level 8: Skynet]

It's actually not a bad idea to avoid launch day. The initial base of customers isn't going to be very big because the supply of Wii U's will be really limited.

If they release at launch they'll have maybe 100,000 potential customers being especially conservative. I have no idea how many are actually going to be available despite the scarcity. However if they wait a while there still won't be much competition and their customer base will grow along with sales. What's more, there's not likely to be many high profile games later on because most consoles suffer a drought in the beginning. People will be looking for more games after they've burned through the launch titles.

http://www.siliconera.com/2012/09/22...h-bayonetta-2/

Saw that one coming. Its been Nintendo's M.O. since MGS Twin Snakes and its always kept the games in question exclusive to Nintendo platforms.

[Level 4: Cyborg] RinseWashRepeat's Avatar
    As someone that's on the fence for the WiiU, this kind of action that Nintendo's taking is making me more interested in the console.

As for the series, I hope it finds a fan-base on the new console and to those moaning it's on the WiiU, hush now. It could be great and it's better to have a WiiU Bayonetta 2 than no Bayonetta 2.

[Level 6: Robot]
    Disappointing, as I have no intention of getting any new console toys ever. I hope Nintendo doesn't eat up any other Japanese developers, as I would really like to see more of them work towards getting PC releases, which is never going to happen with Nintendo. Even Platinum's current project (MGR) is getting a PC version, pretty excited about that. Would have been awesome if there was a PC version of Vanquish too.

Vanquish on PC would be sooooo badass.

With Bayonetta 2, at least it's on a system with double the RAM as PS360... But having Nintendo's money and staff, does this mean we're going to get damn taggle (the TAblet equivalent of needless and detracting waGGLE) shoved into an action game? P* laughed at the question of motion controls in MGR:R, but will they be able to laugh away any of Nintendo's demands? It'll be nuts if you can't play this action game with a traditional controller.

[Level 6: Robot]
    I don't think the higher system RAM is going to be a big deal with this or any game. There isn't going to be a game that could run on WiiU, but not on the other consoles, in terms of graphics anyways. Maybe you can get a few less compressed textures, but not much else. I have no idea what the tablet could be used for other than menu/map access stuff. A game like this is too fast paced to be fussing around with some touch screen crap while playing it.

Bayonetta was perfectly awesome in xbox. Unfortunately, i don't have Wii *sigh and i really do not plan to get one just for this game. Why does it have to be on Wii? Seriously?