Page 4 of 118 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 104 ... LastLast

Thread: PS4 - Get discussing

[Level 8: Skynet]
    I complain about not being able to afford a gaming PC but I guarantee you I'll find a way to afford a PS4.

Quote Originally Posted by TitusGroan View Post
    Shit... concise was never a strong point of mine.
    concision*

Some good words though. I agree, I actually hope they don't try to push the technology side of things with the PS4. I'd much rather see more of the interesting games the PS2 had than any budget-busting ridiculously expensive titles like the PS3 had.

How about that long-awaited Hellnight sequel Konami? Or a LSD sequel/remake whoever the hell made that?

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Or how about The Last Guardian?

I agree though. Most of the technology inside the PS3 was good but not unbelievable five or six years ago. And yet for me, games have reached a point where they look, sound, and ultimately play better than I could have ever imagined when I first got into the hobby. It's fantastic if you ask me but it can seem a little asinine after a while, sometimes you just want to play a fun and interesting game. But are fun and interesting really even very profitable on their own these days? The market has changed so much since the 360 launched. I get the feeling that a lot of PS2 games could only exist today as novel PSN games that do well enough to warrant their existence, but no CoD or Uncharted numbers. The fact that companies have been so selective about the titles they do HD remasters of seems to back this up.

I hope this one is a legitimate waffle iron.

Pow! Right in the kisser!
    It's just two PS2's duct taped together. Let's not kid ourselves.

Dude. I fucking love duct tape!

Me too! I use it primarily to tape my balls to my inner thigh.

I tape your balls to my inner thigh sometimes too!

Hooray for duct tape!

Quote Originally Posted by Panzadolphin56 View Post
    concision*
    Ah, so that is a real word. Wasn't sure on that one.

[QUOTE}Some good words though. I agree, I actually hope they don't try to push the technology side of things with the PS4. I'd much rather see more of the interesting games the PS2 had than any budget-busting ridiculously expensive titles like the PS3 had.

How about that long-awaited Hellnight sequel Konami? Or a LSD sequel/remake whoever the hell made that?[/QUOTE]

The thing for me is that I don't want to see development budgets get any more bloated than they already are.

We've already seen budgets head upwards of $60 million this generation (sometimes north of even $100-200 million), and we've seen the effect this has had on developers- loads of studios getting shut down left, right and centre. All it takes now is for one game to fail, and it could shut down a development studio.

The reason is simple: the newer (at the time) tech of the PS360 allowed for developers to do a lot more visually. But with that freedom comes a risk. In the PS2 gen, you could make a character model from nothing more than a couple of dozen polygons. Not all that visually intensive, sure, but at least it meant you could put out different character models fairly quickly. Now, we're at a point where even singular character models (such as Kratos in GOW3) can run into thousands of polygons. Which, of course, takes more time for developers to create. Which means you then need more developers in order to bring any project up to speed. Which then pushed the budget upwards.

That's my main worry with the 'next generation' of consoles. We should be focusing on ways to make current development practises easier and more streamlined to use. Rather than requiring weeks and weeks to work on a character model, we should be focusing on reducing it to days. New technology can certainly help with that, as it can cause more of the visual mechanics to be done by the machine (such as Anti-Aliasing and Tesselation) rather than by getting the art team to spend months and months sweating it out. But the way the industry is right now, as soon as new consoles appear, developers are going to rush to reach the raised ceiling as soon as they possibly can, without trying to first bring down the cost of development. Which means even higher budgets, and more studios going out of business.

If you actually look at a lot of PS2 games like SOTC or DMC3, things like character models and level architecture hold up absolutely fine. The real visual issues are with too many jaggedy edges, not enough AA, low-res textures and general memory limitations of the console. If you were to make a character with the same amount of polygons as Dante in DMC 3 or Wander, but with some actual high-res textures and some visual processing done by the console, I'm sure they'd look absolutely fine. And they wouldn't take anywhere near as long to sculpt as GOW3 Kratos, in all his pimply, scarred, texture-mapped glory.

Yeah, I never really had much of a problem with PS2 visuals - I thought Silent Hill 2/3 looked great, even Siren looked decent, my problem was always more the draw distance and the lack of clarity with what you were seeing. Most PS2 games that got ported to PC actually look pretty good.

I don't mind seeing budgets increase but only if the market increases in size in the first place. Publishers just seem to have assumed 'well hey, if we spend more money we'll make it back somehow!' which is just stupid. I think what I'm hoping for most is just a shift in perception away from this sort of childish idea that visuals are all that matters with console games, which is just self-destructive for the industry. I'd love to see more 2D games pushed, more text-based games, more visual novels, just anything to challenge this notion that hyper-realism is where we're headed with games, when frankly given the technology and the costs it isn't.

Stop derailing the freakin' thread.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    I'd rather see the system resources get put toward immersive and useful features than graphics. Make AI more intelligent and dynamic. Make cities feel more real by letting us go into substantially more buildings than just a few.

Quote Originally Posted by Arttemis View Post
    I'd rather see the system resources get put toward immersive and useful features than graphics. Make AI more intelligent and dynamic. Make cities feel more real by letting us go into substantially more buildings than just a few.
    I just want a virtual bird to poop on my in-game avatar. Realistically!

LIKE THE START OF FABLE II!?

SONY THREAD ONLY YOU HEATHEN!

SORRY I MEAN LIKE IN GOD OF WAR 3 OR SOMETHING.

Also it took me glancing at the post count to realise you were not Andy, that's how little information I take in before posting.

Now you're speaking my language!

Exclusives, baby. The creme de la creme.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarvu View Post
    Also it took me glancing at the post count to realise you were not Andy, that's how little information I take in before posting.
    I know, right?!

I'm so confused.

I R RANDY DICKSON!