Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Sleeping Dogs

[Level 2: Human]
    this game is pretty cool!

[Level 4: Cyborg] RinseWashRepeat's Avatar
    Anybody else got this in their top 3 for the year?

I know I have. It was just super fun and the world was pretty small, but packed with stuff to do.

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    Just played this on PC, looks beautiful! Lots fun in HK (looks like Kowloon), great soundtrack, fun combat, great story.
    Double plus good!

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    Quote Originally Posted by RinseWashRepeat View Post
    Anybody else got this in their top 3 for the year?

I know I have. It was just super fun and the world was pretty small, but packed with stuff to do.
    Yeah this was easily my top game of the year, loved every second of it and the combat was sooo satisfying but then I played the best piece of media ever created the walking dead and that had to get my game of the year, so sleeping dogs has to settle for second

[Level 2: Human] LiquidSolstice's Avatar
    The action, combat, and upgrade system were incredible in this game.

The driving physics, the NPCs, and the overly "oh this be Chinese, we'll play lots of gongs and string instruments and put dragons on everything because it's chinese yo" attitude of the game really, really turned me off.

That being said, I enjoy it, and while I haven't completed it, I'll be sure to do so soon.

Unfortunately, I will say that I liked True Crime NYC much, much more than this game.

Pow! Right in the kisser!
    Sorry, I don't speak German.

[Level 3: Humanoid] arglactable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DpadJoe View Post
    Yeah this was easily my top game of the year, loved every second of it and the combat was sooo satisfying but then I played the best piece of media ever created the walking dead and that had to get my game of the year, so sleeping dogs has to settle for second
    Oh man. That (and your complete lack of coherent punctuation) was certainly good for a laugh. Blatant emotional manipulation and some 2 dimensional characters that got way too much credit from people that must REALLY want video games to be good TV shows aside, it was a very good story, but not a good game.

Sleeping Dogs was one of the most blatantly derivative games of the year, but it was polished, entertaining, had no previous franchise entries to make it look bad, didn't make the mistake of taking itself too seriously, and managed to make the painfully stale GTA formula fun for 20 hours or so (truly a feat of arcane trickery). I suspect it had something to do with the fact that you could kung fu the living shit out of pretty much anyone at will. It was a blast to play, but I wouldn't even put it in my top ten for the year with the other far more interesting titles that came out in that 12 month period.

Pow! Right in the kisser!
    I loved The Walking Dead more than words can describe. While I thought Sleeping Dogs was awesome, I still will never have an emotional attachment to a game like I did with TWD.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    I'm playing this right now (just got it through Gamefly) and I'm kind of impressed. I mean, I heard a lot of good things but I still went in with fairly low expectations. There are some solid ideas here along with a lot of borrowed ones but the overall game is really cohesive.

I do feel sorry for anyone hanging out in the hallway outside Shen's apartment -- I beat all their asses every time I leave.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Did the DLC get cancelled or something? I thought they were supposed to be releasing it around Chinese New Year.

Quote Originally Posted by Corduroy Turtle View Post
    I do feel sorry for anyone hanging out in the hallway outside Shen's apartment -- I beat all their asses every time I leave.
    Just wait until you get the move that lets you do a running spear tackle on the hallway people. It's a game-changer!

Pwnd
    My favorite was the jump off the wall and kick move. So good.

I would love a next gen sequel. Increased city immersion, even more animation variety, larger population density, and more Hong Kong cinema allusions.

More shooting but drop bullet time. More combat interpolated into the running chases.

I'm actually digging the focus on hand-to-hand combat over gun play. It feels fresh. If I wanna shoot some dudes, I'll close my eyes and throw a dart at my game shelf.

I've been really impressed with SquareEnix's western releases lately. Just Cause 2, Deus Ex: HR, Sleeping Dogs and, from the sound of it, Tomb Raider is pretty great too. As a publisher, they're on a roll.

Yeah, the combat makes this game - the shooting parts are good too but you can shoot stuff in every other open world game should you have the inclination.

Yeah, the combat makes this game - the shooting parts are good too but you can shoot stuff in every other open world game should you have the inclination.

Quote Originally Posted by Corduroy Turtle View Post
    I'm actually digging the focus on hand-to-hand combat over gun play. It feels fresh. If I wanna shoot some dudes, I'll close my eyes and throw a dart at my game shelf.

I've been really impressed with SquareEnix's western releases lately. Just Cause 2, Deus Ex: HR, Sleeping Dogs and, from the sound of it, Tomb Raider is pretty great too. As a publisher, they're on a roll.
    Hitman.

Year of the Snake is out next week. Six missions, three outfits, handcuffs, tasers, and tear gas. Sounds pretty good.