Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: NOPE. Read Rule #6.

[Level 1: Fresh Meat]

NOPE. Read Rule #6.

a mw3 montage by luke puke980 clan trails inbox for a trail

No.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    I thought it was changed that new users couldn't make a thread of their own until X amount of posts? This spam shit is insane every bloody morning.

THE MR.E BIRD
    Fucking English people.

[Level 13: Notifying Niero Now]
    Every damn one!

That's a whole lotta asses 0_0

Admin / Midget King
    Quote Originally Posted by The Virgin Queen View Post
    I thought it was changed that new users couldn't make a thread of their own until X amount of posts? This spam shit is insane every bloody morning.
    Only if they post links or embed pics in the body of the message. This one is either clever enough to figure a way to sneak around it, or stupid enough to think people will copy their youtube link from the thread title. I'd bet on the latter.

We don't auto-mod every single post by new users anymore because it was too restrictive to legitimate posters, who had to sometimes wait a few hours for their intro threads or whatnot to get approved. It was decided it was better for a few spammers to slip through than to have new community members get frustrated and leave.

Also, we have a Report Post feature. It's a LOT easier for us to quickly kill the spammers if they get reported, so please use it!

[Level 6: Robot]
    trails inbox for a trail
    wut

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Mxy Yost View Post
    Only if they post links or embed pics in the body of the message. This one is either clever enough to figure a way to sneak around it, or stupid enough to think people will copy their youtube link from the thread title. I'd bet on the latter.

We don't auto-mod every single post by new users anymore because it was too restrictive to legitimate posters, who had to sometimes wait a few hours for their intro threads or whatnot to get approved. It was decided it was better for a few spammers to slip through than to have new community members get frustrated and leave.

Also, we have a Report Post feature. It's a LOT easier for us to quickly kill the spammers if they get reported, so please use it!
    I tried to report one earlier, but there was no report button to be found. The thread link was there, but when clicked it showed no first post whatsoever?

Oddness, was this while the server switch was going on, because lots of crazy stuff was happening with the images then, but should be fixed by now.

Admin / Midget King
    Are you seeing the exclamation mark in a triangle icon under your post count? If not, what browser are you using?

So, sorcery then?

Admin / Midget King
    Spam-o-matic doesn't automatically delete anything, all it does is force posts into the queue for us to approve. The only options we have to tweak it is to turn it on or off completely. What we have is what we have unfortunately. A big part of the reason more sneak through (which happened even with the old method) is we're getting a LOT more spammers hitting us than in the past. And a good number of those are blocked from even signing up.

Honkey Kong
    I await dick spam.

Honkey Kong
    >Aurain gets mod

>rainbow.jpg errywhere

dontwakedaddy.iso

I daresay Aurain getting mod powers would signal the coming of the eternal night for the forums.

Honkey Kong
    I'd celebrate in style.

Admin / Midget King
    They pretty much want us to keep the number of mods down to the bare minimum, and even then they'd rather keep it limited to people already working for the site. So if we do get permission to add another mod, there's someone already first in line that meets that criteria.

Honkey Kong
    I understand wanting the bare minimum if you're paid. Otherwise I'm confused.

Admin / Midget King
    As much as we make jokes about the "basement", I'd argue if they didn't give a shit about the forums, we wouldn't have forums. It costs money in server space and bandwidth to keep this place running. Niero and Hamza have a lot of plates to keep spinning, and that's why Jo and Ali and I are assigned to manage the day to day stuff here. We let them know when things needs to get done, and they add it to the list of stuff that constantly needs attention. We're not the top priority (that would be the front page obviously), but we're also not ignored when shit happens. It just sometimes takes a while to get things fixed.

As to why one would want to keep the number of mods down, have you guys ever been on a forum that had too many? It's not pretty, and just one person going on a power trip can cause serious problems with a community. We had a similar problem here around 2006-07 before I got promoted. Personally I'd rather a couple spam threads get through here and there than deal with the fallout from a moderator on an ego trip. The more mods there are, the harder it is to keep everyone on the same page, and the more potential for abuse.