Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Kaiju Combat - Potential New Godzilla Game | Kickstarter

Admin / Midget King
    Thanks for clarifying Simon!

Also: Legendhead, someone else asking a question regarding a statement made @you != "answering for you". Chill out man.

2. 07-20-2012, 04:16 PM

3. 07-20-2012, 04:17 PM

[Level 3: Humanoid]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Legendhead View Post
    Cold as ice, Sir.
    Ok, NOW I wish I could announce that we also have the drummer from Foreigner on staff!

(Sadly, I cannot.)

To answer the question (if that's not too gauche) the musician writing the music is Bumblefoot - Ron Thal.
    This Guy

However, he's not around to answer questions or defend himself from slander. I, on the other hand, await your abuse. (Or you could ask me questions about whatever. Hey! I also worked on Tony Hawk: RIDE, so I'm sure you could come up with a few comments about that​ trainwreck.)

Admin / Midget King
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Strange

Ok, NOW I wish I could announce that we also have the drummer from Foreigner on staff!

(Sadly, I cannot.)
    ...And you just convinced me to throw in some cash for your October relaunch goal pivot thing. Well done sir. Glad your over-enthusiastic-fan-causing-crowdfunding-backfire sense tingled and you found your way here. Please do post here when the new Kickstarter is up and running. Dig the concept and the talent you guys have together, and hope it does well!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Mxy Yost View Post
    ...And you just convinced me to throw in some cash for your October relaunch goal pivot thing. Well done sir. Glad your over-enthusiastic-fan-causing-crowdfunding-backfire sense tingled and you found your way here. Please do post here when the new Kickstarter is up and running. Dig the concept and the talent you guys have together, and hope it does well!
    Well you may change your mind if I tell you (absolutely honestly) that the only reason I'm familiar with "Cold as Ice" is because I sang it in an acapella group in college...

I've always meant to get into the destructoid forums - it's one of the better game communities but not one I've personally taken part in before. So I assume the benefits will be mutual.

Ok - only seven (7!) days left to back this project. Becoming a backer gets you into the design forums, where we critique original monsters and vote on the game's roster. Best of all, since we're under our funding goal your backing pledge won't actually be charged - so it's free regardless of how much you pledge.

If you have any interest, idle curiosity, etc - I encourage you to back the project and check out the updates & discussions.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...2/kaiju-combat

The front page talks about "Update #10" - which is a link to our new plan, since we're obviously not hitting our funding goal this time around.

Kickstarter is over! Now the real fun begins... anyone with the slightest inkling of interest for giant monster fighting should check out the new official forums - we're discussing game mechanics, voting on roster, distributing pre-alpha builds, etc.

kaijucombat.com/community/

Our first pair of original monsters was announced today - these are two of our seven collaborations with backers, so expect 5 more to be revealed by the end of September.

Moratitan - a giant eel who has formed a symbiotic exoskeleton out of a coral reef!
    http://kaijucombat.com/community/ind...ign-thread.254

Macrosaurus - the biggest Kaiju of them all! (and his teeny tiny arms...)
    http://kaijucombat.com/community/ind...ign-thread.253

That giant eel is a very cool idea.

Matt Frank (artist for IDW's ongoing Godzilla series) met a 12-year-old kid at a convention this summer, and the kid had this idea for a giant eel monster with a coral exoskeleton. Matt was so impressed with the idea that he contacted the kid, and we did the collaboration for the monster over skype this past month.

So yeah, all credit goes to Ian, the marine-animal-obsessed 12-year-old Kaiju fan.

[Level 5: Mech]
    Both of those monsters look pretty cool, I'll be watching to see what happens with this thread, shame I didn't see it sooner...

Update - we're about to re-launch our Kickstarter. We've been doing design discussions for the past few months in the official forums:

http://kaijucombat.com/community/index.php

We've also built 7 original monsters with fan collaboration:

https://kaijucombat.wiki.zoho.com/Ka...-Monsters.html

Any further thoughts / suggestions / taunts would be great to get NOW, before we start shilling for money again!

Dunkaroo's lawyers are going to have a word with you over Duncan.

Maybe.

It's all sounding cool though.

Predictably (because we said it would happen) I've re-launched the Kaiju Combat kickstarter. And things seem to be going quite a bit better these first 12 hours!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...fighting-onlin

If you have any questions, or want to participate in roster selection, or combat mechanics design - join up on the game forums!

If you want to get into some gritty details - check out the online design wiki. Any good discussion thread in the forums gets turned into a design page here, with links back to the (ongoing) discussion that determines the design of the final game. Way too much detail for the casual fan, but just right for those few grognardy geeks among us.

If you just want to check out the monster concepts we are working with, here's that direct link. (I wanted to post some of our awesome concept images here, but apparently they are "too large"...

Any questions, comments? Post it here and I'll get you answered.

Admin / Midget King
    Just pledged $40, looking forward to this!

We've just finished our first day of funding, and we've received $20,000 - fully 20% of what we need to raise over the next month. IN JUST 24 HOURS!

I'm humbled by the love. And yet, I can't quite eliminate the urge to destroy an entire city by stomping through it. (?!?) Weird.

Admin / Midget King
    Glad to hear! Out of curiosity (and because I'm too lazy to go back and look), what did you do differently on the second kickstarter attempt?

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Mxy Yost View Post
    Glad to hear! Out of curiosity (and because I'm too lazy to go back and look), what did you do differently on the second kickstarter attempt?
    The first time around we didn't have a specific plan for our first release - we were ready to do original monsters with fans, but we were also hoping to raise enough $ to pay for the Godzilla license right out of the gate. When we failed to make our funding goal that time, we sat down and decided that we needed to make something more concrete - so now we've committed to making our first commercial release an all-originals game. That's allowed us to reduce our funding target, and develop our initial characters - which means more concept art, and even a bit of animation work (sneak peek at the end of our Kickstarter video...)

So while the game concept and overall plan is no different - we're pitching a specific set of features this time, instead of leaving that open for fan input.

Get behind us! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...fighting-onlin

Our pledges are looking strong enough to just about get us to $100,000 by the end of the month, but we don't just want to barely hit our target - we want to CRUSH our target.

I'm sure you've spent $20 on something silly at some point - here's a chance to spend it on a game that will be literally life-changing for our team, and a source of joy for Kaiju fans everywhere. $20 gets you a copy of the game - $75 gets you a copy of every game we ever make! And for $500? You get to design a monster for the roster.

If you pledge even $5 we let you vote on game features, roster selection, and so forth. We want to engage our fans because our fans are, very literally, making this game happen.

If sure some of the folks at Destructoid are on the fence about this game - and I'm sure some are more than willing to mock me mercilessly for my continued attempts to open their wallets. I'm willing to endure the latter, if I can help inspire the former to action.

Admin / Midget King
    Gave the kickstarter a mention on the latest episode of Communitoid, hopefully that'll help give it a little more attention!

Admin / Midget King
    Congrats on getting funded!