Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: ZombiU

HUGE information dump today regarding the story line for ZombiU:

- start out as Peter Johnson
    - use a cricket bat to defend yourself
    - clueless as to what's going on at first
    - storyline is based around three characters who offer the player the point of view on what's going on in London
    - main story characters are the mission-givers
    - characters will be offering their point of view on the Black Prophecy
    - discover another language that you can write in and decrypt for other players

The Prepper

- has a very deep voice with a Yorkshire accent
    - acts as your mentor and guide throughout the entire first part of the story
    - helps you get started in the game, but has other things to tackle later on
    - believes the word of John Dee
    - the Prepper expects a second fire to come over London and wipe out the zombies

John Dee

- real historical figure
    - considered Britain's Nostradamus
    - he was the magus of Elizabeth I, the court astrologer and the first cryptographer
    - he was the one who signed his letters to Elizabeth I as 007
    - predicted the first Great Plague of London in 1665
    - predicted the second in 2012
    - The Black Prophecy is that of John Dee
    - the Prepper believes that John Dee was right

The Ravens Of Dee

- survivalist group
    - semi-pro group
    - believe that the prophecy is a warning
    - they want to help prepare Londoners to survive and outlive the outbreak
    - looking to create a new civilization after

The Scientist

- doesn't believe John Dee's predictions
    - junior doctor in the royal household
    - hidden down in the bunkers where the Queen has had him continue to explore ways to cure or [find] a vaccine to save the world

Sandra

- leader of the Ravens Of Dee
    - wants to follow John Dee's predictions, but not to the letter

The story

- origin of the Prepper and other characters are all built around a big back story
    - apocalyptic fiction, zombie fiction and a little bit of historical fiction
    - find documentation that discusses John Dee's findings
    - go through the story without finding the backstory documents, if you so choose

Survival Mode

- only get one life

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Sweet, zombie survival horror... Let's use a tablet as a gun scope AND pad to doodle!

Seriously, this game sounds really great with tons of great ideas, but every single use of the tablet (other than the tension from having inventory and locks/keypads shown in-hand) sounds like a complete waste of an attempt to justify the controller, like there's some hidden quota of gimmicky shit they have to fill. Basically, the more I hear about this game, the more I'm convinced to wait for a port, instead of getting hyped for it asap.

This? This right here? This is why I don't venture into the forums. Mr Andy Dixon's Avatar
    After watching people play this for like an hour at PAX (line was too long and I gave up waiting), I pretty much concur with Arttemis. The inventory management and the like was well-suited to the gamepad (and the tension it created was welcomed), but the whole hold-it-in-front-of-your-face bit was unnecessarily disorienting and honestly made no sense to me from a realism standpoint. (If you have a magical visor that can see what's inside boxes and in people's pockets, why not just use the thing to look through walls?)

Still, looks like a really fun game with some great ideas. If I manage to save up enough for a Wii U, I'll definitely pick this up.

Just played this game last night at a WiiU invitational event in Seattle, and after getting a little more into the game, I can safely say that it is a must have for me. The tension and scared-outta-my-jock feels that have been absent from horror games the past generation is definitely back (with a revengence!)

Kojima thinks that word should be spelled revengeance.

The game really does look fantastic, though... It's looking to be a genuine survival horror game with awesome levels of authority. But that new-age tablet waggle (taggle? waglet?) gimmickry makes my penis soft.

When I get a Wii U, this will definitely be one of the first games I will be getting, I think this ,and Mass Effect 3 are the only good uses of the gamepad well.

Pow! Right in the kisser!
    So, who's all got this?? Man, this game is fucking so much fun. Already had to rage quit last night after attempting to fight a horde at my hideout. Ended up losing a handful of survivors.

One question I thought of last night, can other people on your friends list run into your infected survivors? I've only ever encountered my own, but I only have a couple friends who are playing it at the moment.

How God awful/unnecessary/needless/out of place are the scanning parts? Wouldn't an on-screen, d-pad-controlled backpack overlay that obscures vision serve the same purpose as looking down at a tablet but without needing a second screen?

It sounds like they pulled off the premise, despite the detracting tablet junk. If it doesn't get ported to other platforms, I'll definitely get this whenever I pick up a used WiiU.

I like the scanning bit. It's a nice break between dying. But yeah, it's not really necessary, but it does help you find much needed items. There are some parts that require you to use it, but they're few and far between from what I've noticed so far.

Quote Originally Posted by PappaDukes View Post
    I like the scanning bit. It's a nice break between dying. But yeah, it's not really necessary, but it does help you find much needed items. There are some parts that require you to use it, but they're few and far between from what I've noticed so far.
    Yea, the scanning bits aren't game breaking at all, it works and after a while you'll forget you're doing it, simply because it works.

Oh and Pappa, yes, we can run in to your now undead players. I loaded my game this morning and what do you know, there was Rammstein standing in my safe house, ready to eat my brains.

I did what any friend would do, I bashed his skull in with my cricket bat and looted his corpse.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillyBilly View Post
    Yea, the scanning bits aren't game breaking at all, it works and after a while you'll forget you're doing it, simply because it works.

Oh and Pappa, yes, we can run in to your now undead players. I loaded my game this morning and what do you know, there was Rammstein standing in my safe house, ready to eat my brains.

I did what any friend would do, I bashed his skull in with my cricket bat and looted his corpse.
    So it replaces the character's default name with the Nintendo ID? Because I have tons of infected survivors roaming around my place. Or does it just pick the last survivor to become infected??

Man, I really want to play this some more tonight. Between this and TWD Episode 5, it's going to be zombie central at my place.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by ChillyBilly View Post

Also, I laughed heartily!

[Level 5: Mech]
    ARGH! I, much like PappaDukes, died like 5 times in a row at the 'defend your base' part. It seriously pissed me off, I don't know whether it was the clunky controls(Resident Evil purists might love that) or not being entirely familiar with the game yet, but I died a single time and then when trying to get to my original survivor, died 4 times in a row until the game felt I had died enough and stopped spawning Zeds on me or I guess I killed enough zombies across 5 lives. :/

Though Chilly tweeting at me 'thanks for the land mine, bro. sorry i bashed your skull in' was a funny moment. Next time I loaded up my game I clicked the "antenna" icon and saw my original survivor was killed by him. Sucks that I lost everything though. This game is hard! Like, Demon Souls hard! Not for the squeamish.

[Level 1: Fresh Meat] Chuck Norris's Avatar
    Glad to see the return of survival horror... it's definitely a must buy for me when I get my Wii U.

Quote Originally Posted by Rammstein View Post
    ARGH! I, much like PappaDukes, died like 5 times in a row at the 'defend your base' part. It seriously pissed me off, I don't know whether it was the clunky controls(Resident Evil purists might love that) or not being entirely familiar with the game yet, but I died a single time and then when trying to get to my original survivor, died 4 times in a row until the game felt I had died enough and stopped spawning Zeds on me or I guess I killed enough zombies across 5 lives. :/

Though Chilly tweeting at me 'thanks for the land mine, bro. sorry i bashed your skull in' was a funny moment. Next time I loaded up my game I clicked the "antenna" icon and saw my original survivor was killed by him. Sucks that I lost everything though. This game is hard! Like, Demon Souls hard! Not for the squeamish.
    I ended up beating the "defend your base" part. I started a new campaign, and this time I started throwing all spare loot I could find in the Raven box. It made that section so much easier since I had tons of ammo for my pistol. But then after I beat it, I realized that I still forgot to use my landmines. Oh well, now I have plenty of spare landmines!

As he lay there, airing out I thought to myself "why not".

I have never been more turned on.

Finally got to the palace last night. Killed by a fucking spitter. I hate those zombies so much.

But, on the plus side, I did find Smurfee's infected outside the sewer entrance. Killed him and looted his corpse for quite the haul!

Quote Originally Posted by PappaDukes View Post
    But, on the plus side, I did find Smurfee's infected outside the sewer entrance. Killed him and looted his corpse for quite the haul!
    I really like how they made that part of the minimalistic multiplayer amidst single-player campaign. Did you just prevent Smurfee from getting his own corpse back or is it a duplicate bonus for you? Does that only happen when a player dies before finding their own corpse?

As far as I know, your friend's infected roams your game, independently of their game. So a double bonus, so to speak.
    However, if you die and then die again before you get back to your infected survivor, that survivor disappears and is replaced by the current infected survivor, and you lose all the loot he/she may have been carrying.