Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: ZombiU

Quote Originally Posted by ChillyBilly View Post
    I think having to look down or to use the touch pad on the controller adds a level of stress, which I want to believe was intended by the developers. In all of the videos so far when you go to the touch screen to do anything you are in a stressful moment, having to dig through your survival pack seems to add a new level of tension.

Maybe I'm reading waaaay too much in to all of this. Personally, I like the direction this game is taking and will definitely be picking it up day one.
    I am as well, do we know if its a launch title?

This? This right here? This is why I don't venture into the forums. Mr Andy Dixon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRemedy View Post
    Except your point was.

"The game looks fun, but the implementation of the gamepad worries me. Having to constantly look down at it/hold it up to the screen while zombies be bitin' yo shit just seems like a terrible idea."

Part of that is intended by the developers and as I said, it's not hard to look down.
    Except I never said it was hard. I said it was a terrible idea to have to look away and/or block the game screen while zombies were attacking from all sides. Sure, it adds to the tension, but it doesn't make it a good idea from a pure gameplay perspective.

Watch the video you linked to again. The prompt to "Look at the Wii U controller" pops up in the middle of the screen like every 30 seconds, taking you out of the game to play some dumb minigame. And holding the controller up in front of your face to scan the environment? Much more easily handled WITHOUT the WiiU controller. (See Arkham City, Metroid Prime, etc.)

It's like how they're forcing the detective vision and batarang controls onto the gamepad for the WiiU Arkham port. How does that make the game more fun? They're trying to justify the existence of the gamepad, nothing more.

This? This right here? This is why I don't venture into the forums. Mr Andy Dixon's Avatar
    And for the record, I said the game looked fun and I meant it. I just haven't seen a single use for the WiiU controller that made a game look more fun being played with it, which SHOULD BE the point. So far it's all forced gimmicks and nothing more.

I feel the majority of what Nintendo does is a gimmick. Very rarely do I feel that this game is 100% more awesome, for the fact that I can swing my arm around mimicking a sword. This is not only with Nintendo, but motion controllers in general, their useless, and don't really need to be used. We can skip the step of motion controls, and go straight to virtual reality. :P Though, the fact that you have to dig in your bag in real time, is more realistic, awesome, and will add pressure.

I don't know, we will have to see how the game turns out, and how comfortable we all are with the game pad features involving Wii U. :P

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Andy Dixon View Post
    Except I never said it was hard. I said it was a terrible idea to have to look away and/or block the game screen while zombies were attacking from all sides. Sure, it adds to the tension, but it doesn't make it a good idea from a pure gameplay perspective.

Watch the video you linked to again. The prompt to "Look at the Wii U controller" pops up in the middle of the screen like every 30 seconds, taking you out of the game to play some dumb minigame. And holding the controller up in front of your face to scan the environment? Much more easily handled WITHOUT the WiiU controller. (See Arkham City, Metroid Prime, etc.)

It's like how they're forcing the detective vision and batarang controls onto the gamepad for the WiiU Arkham port. How does that make the game more fun? They're trying to justify the existence of the gamepad, nothing more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Andy Dixon View Post
    And for the record, I said the game looked fun and I meant it. I just haven't seen a single use for the WiiU controller that made a game look more fun being played with it, which SHOULD BE the point. So far it's all forced gimmicks and nothing more.
    We have a Dead Space game that is a complete abandonment of any survival horror it may have had and we have this game that is at least attempting to embrace it through the controller and you're saying well I don't understand how it could have an impact. The prompt comes up based on things the player is doing, not because the game tells you to go play a mini-game. You want to go through your inventory and get your items together you risk being attacked. The game isn't paused. They showcased in the proof of concept video bringing up a scanner, searching for items you have to bring up the controller limiting your view causing you to be at risk of death.

I don't know if it will all work, we could have another Red Steel, but at least they are trying to bring a real survivor horror game out on consoles again.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRemedy View Post
    you're saying well I don't understand how it could have an impact.
    Where am I saying that? I'm not a moron, I understand why they're doing it -- they're trying to force a feeling of tension by making the player feel helpless. Same reason RE4 didn't let you move and shoot, etc. All I'm saying is, having to constantly switch between looking at the screen and looking at the controller is jarring and doesn't look fun, when it could easily be handled in other ways.

Survival horror does not necessitate a limited/lackluster control scheme, just as limiting a player's control options does not itself make a game truly scary. (Imagine how scary Call of Duty would be if you had to look down and touch a different button every time you wanted to reload your weapon. OMGFRIGHTENING!) Proper survival horror just takes a good developer to get the atmosphere right. And like I said (for the 50th time), I think the game looks fun, I'm just not sold on the usefulness of the WiiU controller yet. I haven't written the game off at all, I'm just sharing my first impressions.

I'll be as happy as anyone to be proven wrong.

Limiting the player in some way has been at the forefront of every successful survival horror game. Resident Evil 1-3 featured kinda wonky controls and cumbersome menus. Silent Hill had kind of awkward combat. Resident Evil 4 you still had to stop and aim to kill things. Amnesia and Fatal Frame you have no real weapons to fight back. It's been a standard of the genre for nearly two decades, and with this game, they are putting all the awkwardness towards the controller.

If they are successful at creating a good survival horror remains to be scene, but I don't think this is the proper thread to discuss whether or not the Wii U gamepad thing is a gimmick or not as that's an entirely different subject and is not relevant to the discussion of this game in of itself.

"Limiting the player in some way" does not have to mean "use a crappy control scheme". See your own Amnesia example for proof.

And even though I'm happy to move on, I think this was the perfect place for this discussion. As you said yourself, the controls are a big part of this game, thus, they warranted dissection.

I think it would be fine if we were discussing whether or not the gamepad controls in this game were utilized in a good way. But this one game that isn't even a first party title is just not a great platform to discuss the gamepad as a whole as that topic can easily over shadow the game.

Two new ZombiU gameplay trailers... Here are the links, enjoy. :P

To the nursery
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-zombiu/731416

To the death
    http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2012-zombiu/731420

Really liking how this game is turning out. Still a little worried on graphics, as I stated in an earlier post, but this is (hopefully) a launch title for the Wii U, and thus not at the consoles full power. :P Regardless, enjoy the video, I know I did.

This game and Watch Dogs are my two most anticipated games from this E3. Every time I see a new video for ZombiU I get that much more excited to finally get my hands on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillyBilly View Post
    This game and Watch Dogs are my two most anticipated games from this E3. Every time I see a new video for ZombiU I get that much more excited to finally get my hands on it.
    I do as well.

Just to let you know, they have added more videos about ZombiU, here is the link to all of the videos, you should go check them out, if you have not already.

http://www.gametrailers.com/game/zombiu/16496

Game is looking amazing. Also, its possible that it may come to other consoles, but it won't be for several months after its original release, if it ever does release on other consoles.

The *idea* of using the tablet to scrounge around in real-time, looking away from the screen to find essential items sounds cool, but there's no reason this couldn't be ported to typical consoles and controllers. Hold L1/LB to look in pack, which fills 90% of the screen and leaves a blurry edge with a glimpse of the impending danger. Toggling back and forth between views keeps you updated on what's in front and whether or not you should continue searching. That could be cool, but don't people have pockets where they can easily access emergency items?

The permanent deaths and item recovery system are what intrigue me. Not enough to buy a console for it, though, especially when its 'unique' features could be easily ported.

King of Ties 'n' Gifs 'n' Shit
    Look at WiiU Controller.............Look at WiiU Controller
    Look at WiiU Controller

When you get attacked by a zombie it automatically turns you in their direction? That part in the kitchen with the shotgun looks super jarring.

I love zombie stuff so I am curious to see more and try it out but the WiiU is not looking to be day 1.

Here is some information concerning ZombiU multiplayer features... Seems interesting, though there are no videos of the multiplayer as of yet. But here are the links.

http://www.gametrailers.com/side-mis...zombie-master/
    The second one goes into more details, the article by Venture Beat. Though Game Trailers simply posted it on their site, gave credit to Venture Beat, than basically posted a link. Enjoy. :P
    http://venturebeat.com/2012/06/06/zo...-us-strengths/

Bringer of Truth
    I never realized it was spelled "Zombi" until just now.

Last edited by ClownBaby; 06-08-2012 at 07:12 AM.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    It isn't. That's Italian.

this game sounds interesting, but I'm not sold yet. For one thing, I like the idea of using the controller to check your map and inventory in real time, but other applications seem gimmicky. Still, it could be very good. I haven't watched a lot of videos, but I hope they make it more puzzle-based like early survival horror games (which is what they keep repeating this game will be like).

Also, it has the stupidest name ever conceived.

Honkey Kong
    I like what I saw but I hope it get's ported to the other consoles. I'm more interested in the concept(permadeath of characters) than any of the control gimmicks.

Bringer of Truth
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinryu View Post
    It isn't. That's Italian.
    Thank you I'm aware.

I was referring to the game.