Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Gears of War: Judgement

Beast Master
    I played a bit of the latest Mass Effect DLC last weekend, other than that... nothing. Been making things and watching movies.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    I MIGHT BUY THIS GMAE WHEN IT'S CHEAPER. PERSONALLY I THINK YOU MOVEE TO SLOW. THIS IS PROBABLY A GOOD GMAE IF YOU'RE INOT THAT. I KNOW IT'S NOT CALL OF DUTY... BUT IT SHOULD BE

Quote Originally Posted by usedtabe View Post
    Glad they finally removed grenade tagging.
    Kind of. You can literally toss a frag at someone and it'll stick to them.

Honkey Kong
    Lol. I guess stickies aren't as bad as lucky proximity mines.

Oh, you were talking about wall tagging. Yeah, that doesn't take a lot of skill. I know this because I do it ALL the time.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    A friend of mine just posted a picture to Facebook, with him holding The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct and the new Gears game. Caption: Best release date of the year.

I cringed.

It's sad that Survival Instinct will probably sell well enough to be profitable. So many uniformed people buy games because "I love the show!"

Beast Master
    I'm neither here nor there on the show, but I can see myself nabbing Survival Instinct at some point when it's in the bargain bin.

So, I played 5ish hours of MP with some friends and got some things to talk about. First off, it is very different but still plays like Gears. The movement, weapons, combat, everything still feels like Gears. That's where the similarities end. In TDM and Dom there are no down-but-not-outs period. When your Cog fills up, you die. This was really jarring at first, but with the new focus on multi level map design and speed it works out just fine. Another weird thing is you have a reticule even when hip firing your weapon, which actually was making me mess up with my shotgun at first so I started ignoring it. Just felt weird I guess.

So, big thing is the new controls with weapons and such, and switching weapons with Y and using grenades with LB actually works pretty well. I always used to mash Tac Com with LB, but I don't miss it that much as tac com is mostly useless anyways. Now, time to step out of your comfort zone with weapons. You only spawn with one utility weapon and a pistol and a grenade. Spawning with grenades isn't too big a deal as they have been toned down in power, but it forces people to move more than anything. It speeds things up and works fine. As far as weapons go, the auto sniper is pretty bad to spawn with, and the gnasher is really limited. This means people will be spawning with ARs. There aren't as many gnasher fights as there are team shotting AR fights. Usually you'll have 1-2 gnasher spawns on a team that try to flank and push up while the ARs do all the other work.

If you played higher level Gears before, you'll remember it was mostly set up, team shot, go for power weapon grab, team shot and push with power weapon, clean up with shotguns. Now it's set up based around high ground and spawns, team shot, and hold set up until 50 kills. It's similar to the focus in GoW3 about holding spawns in TDM but is now more focused on high ground. So yeah. That's competitive MP pretty much.

Overrun is silly amounts of fun, and the competitive MP is definitely a new take on GoW, but I don't think it's a bad one yet. At least day 1 most everything held up okay. Game is still fun, it's just different. I do wish there were more maps though >.> the maps they have are all well and good but there's way too few. 4 for mp and 4 for overrun. Yeah, I could take more than that please.

I'm a couple hours in and I can't quite find a groove with the single player/co-op yet. As bad as I thought the story and dialogue and characters were in the trilogy, they had some great setpieces. So far, I don't have much of a sense of... anything. Not much squad banter, the framing sequence/narration/scoring system makes it hard to build any dramatic tension, seemingly every firefight has a Declassified option. They didn't even bother trying to explain the set-up of the Gears world. They just drop you right in with barely a handshake.

The trilogy at least tried to get you to believe that it was a big, dumb action movie. Judgement seems to want to remind you constantly that it's a video game.

Maybe Aftermath will soften my opinion.

Honkey Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by Anne IFrank View Post
    So, I played 5ish hours of MP with some friends and got some things to talk about. First off, it is very different but still plays like Gears. The movement, weapons, combat, everything still feels like Gears. That's where the similarities end. In TDM and Dom there are no down-but-not-outs period. When your Cog fills up, you die. This was really jarring at first, but with the new focus on multi level map design and speed it works out just fine. Another weird thing is you have a reticule even when hip firing your weapon, which actually was making me mess up with my shotgun at first so I started ignoring it. Just felt weird I guess.

So, big thing is the new controls with weapons and such, and switching weapons with Y and using grenades with LB actually works pretty well. I always used to mash Tac Com with LB, but I don't miss it that much as tac com is mostly useless anyways. Now, time to step out of your comfort zone with weapons. You only spawn with one utility weapon and a pistol and a grenade. Spawning with grenades isn't too big a deal as they have been toned down in power, but it forces people to move more than anything. It speeds things up and works fine. As far as weapons go, the auto sniper is pretty bad to spawn with, and the gnasher is really limited. This means people will be spawning with ARs. There aren't as many gnasher fights as there are team shotting AR fights. Usually you'll have 1-2 gnasher spawns on a team that try to flank and push up while the ARs do all the other work.

If you played higher level Gears before, you'll remember it was mostly set up, team shot, go for power weapon grab, team shot and push with power weapon, clean up with shotguns. Now it's set up based around high ground and spawns, team shot, and hold set up until 50 kills. It's similar to the focus in GoW3 about holding spawns in TDM but is now more focused on high ground. So yeah. That's competitive MP pretty much.

Overrun is silly amounts of fun, and the competitive MP is definitely a new take on GoW, but I don't think it's a bad one yet. At least day 1 most everything held up okay. Game is still fun, it's just different. I do wish there were more maps though >.> the maps they have are all well and good but there's way too few. 4 for mp and 4 for overrun. Yeah, I could take more than that please.
    Thanks. Doesn't sound horrible but from this and other sources I can tell I made the right decision not to invest any time into this one.

It's not horrible, it's actually pretty good. But yeah, it definitely is way different so I respect people taking it carefully.

Honkey Kong
    Upping the pacing of the game by taking out DBNO just ruins it for me. Gears wasn't a slow game, but it was more methodical than your average shooter but with the pace sped up it seems like that is gone.

The first post in this thread is fantastic.

Honkey Kong
    Lol Andy.

[Level 6: Robot]
    I played the Overrun demo and it was surprisingly fun. It might reveal itself to be broken after people get better at it, but I had a good time with it. The TACCOM actually stays active for a few seconds after you press it, so it wasn't too bad. The movement felt a little off and slow though. My biggest issue though is 4 maps per mode, which is basically Epic saying "buy the season pass or fuck you" which is bullshit. In a perfect world it would be a $40 game to compensate, but clearly, based on the number of people I've seen playing it day one, from a business standpoint they would be leaving too much money on the table. Whatevs, I'm getting Bioshock Infinite full price, Epic's greedy ass can suck it until it's $20-$30.
    Last edited by Blasto; 03-22-2013 at 04:01 PM.

Wow, great info, Anne. Thanks!

I was thinking about Judgment after playing the Overrun demo (loved it) and I guess I'm okay with them messing with the formula this time. It's not like Gears 3 doesn't exist and, if I want classic Gears action, I'll just load that one up. I don't necessarily agree with them charging full price for Judgment, a game that reuses a lot of assets from 3, but that doesn't mean the game won't be fun.

I had my doubts about the class-based multiplayer but Overrun just feels like an extension of Beast mode, which I liked a lot. All of the different Locust classes play extremely differently so it's kind of refreshing to see that idea bleed over to the COG side of things.

I am sad that there are no more Locusts in regular multiplayer modes. Playing COG vs COG is just weird. Still, looking forward to when my copy arrives.

Overrun actually feels like a 3rd person MOBA since it's based on lanes and classes lol. That mode is mad fun.

This game is interesting to say the least. I do enjoy overrun and even domination now, but I do feel that Gears 3 just was a better game overall. I'm almost done with the story (been playing co-op with the Fiance on Hardcore). Needless to say, hardcore doesn't feel very challenging. You can do like "side-missions" to gain stars, which are actually kind of fun and creative. Those are what make the game slightly more challenging. I'm not sure I'll be using a gnasher much in this game, which I will miss. I feel like it's more effective to use lancers. The rooftop was an interesting concept as well. Essentially you have more abilities to be a sniper or just be a rooftop lancer. The story isn't bad. I'll play this until I get bored and probably carry on with king of the hill on gears 3

[Level 5: Mech]
    Played an entire day of the multiplayer with a friend, and the controls felt so awkward, even after getting used to them.
    It's...much better than what the demo represents, but it just lacks content multiplayer wise to warrant me purchasing it in the future.

Eh.