Find and buy FFA PS1 port
    Find and buy GBA port
    Buy off PSN
    Wait for 3DS remake

WHAT THE FUCK DO?

Pow! Right in the kisser!
    Definitely ROMs.

Aurain speaks the truth.

Play FFVI with a GBA ROM or on the PSN (or Virtual Console if you want to play the American 'III' version). The latter one has some nice FMVs added in, but the former has the most in terms of gameplay. As mentioned already, pretty much all released versions of the game have become high-priced collectibles, so I wouldn't bother tracking it down. Getting a hold of decent copies of V and VI for the GBA required quite a few searches through Gamestop display cases, many of which contained those cheap and ugly Chinese knockoffs.

Speaking of Final Fantasy IIIs, why the hell did they decide to reissue the DS version of III for the PSP after making I, II, and IV Collection look so much more awesome and clean on that system? Does drawing sprites really cost that much more money than putting a spit-shine on ugly 3D? I just can't wait to see how they manage to make Final Fantasy V and VI look hideous.

Loved FFVII and FFVIII but you can do FFXI

I would say 9 too, its easy to dive into & the last of Final Fantasy before the series changed up. Then from there go down from 6 to 5 yadda yadda. Then go for the more advance ones Final Fantasy Tactics & Crystal Chronicles. Getting some friends for Crystal Chronicles would be good time

Most players consider Final Fantasy VII as an entry point, as this is the most popular. If what you are after is a great storyline, try final fantasy 6 as a starting point. The stories of Celes, Locke, Terra, and ... i forgot the other one.. is pretty cool.

[Level 5: Mech]

I'd say if a grand, coherent story is what someone wants, FFX is the place to start. It's the only one which properly separates the core story and the fluff. Well, FFXIII does it too, but it delivers most of its story in an encyclopaedia in the menu, so f that.

[Level 2: Human]
    Mixed opinions on which final fantasy. That's actually one tough question since players have different preferences. I am, honestly indifferent among all final fantasy games. I was not able to play all of them. I know final fantasy VII --yes, because it is popular... and final fantasy IX and X-2. I think all of them are great.. i also played in GBA im not sure what part was that XD

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    I still say four would be a nice start! I am almost finished playing through again

[Level 5: Mech]
    I played the hell out of Theatrhythm Final Fantasy recently and it prompted me to marathon through as many of the Final Fantasy games as I can tolerate. Between that and the marathoning it's reminding what I have loved about the series and what I have hated.

I think the choice of which FF's people seem to like/recommend depends on a) which was the first Final Fantasy he or she has played and b) Do you prefer the sci-fi Final Fantasies or the Fantasy Final Fantasies. Now I know that they all have both but I think it's pretty clear that some of them are fantasy with sci-fi elements and others are sci-fi with fantasy elements. It really makes it seem like the series is schizophrenic or something. Maybe that's part of the reason why gamers don't seem to like the series as much as they used to.

I know IV isn't the best Final Fantasy, but it's my favorite Final Fantasy, and I'm more into the fantasy-based FF's. I haven't had a chance to play XII, and I hope to remedy that soon.

Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is probably the easiest Final Fantasy ever created lol

But then I think Final Fantasy XIII is way to go, plus it's more recent

Quote Originally Posted by naia-the-gamer View Post
    Maybe that's part of the reason why gamers don't seem to like the series as much as they used to.
    Plenty of gamers like it just fine. It's tough to get a clear signal on that from listening to the dreary, jaded bullshit that radiates from most members of the gaming community.

I know IV isn't the best Final Fantasy, but it's my favorite Final Fantasy, and I'm more into the fantasy-based FF's. I haven't had a chance to play XII, and I hope to remedy that soon.
    XII is worth playing for its gameplay, but for me its story was boring and its characters were cold, uninteresting, interchangeable, and completely lacking in charm. It doesn't help that Vaan and Ashe look similar to the two main characters from FFX.

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by Caostotale View Post
    ...the dreary, jaded bullshit that radiates from most members of the gaming community.
    You. You are an honest man. Please post more often. These kids need you.

[Level 8: Skynet]

The honest truth is that plenty of people bought and enjoyed the most recent Final Fantasy entries. They just haven't been especially vocal about it. Final Fantasy isn't the big deal it used to be. In terms of sales it's still a beast, but a lot of people just buy it and have fun with it for a while and then forget about it.

That's what happens to most games, really. Even the good ones and the financially successful ones. There's only ever a handful of bonafide top tier games that anybody remembers beyond a couple years, and it's because those were the games that people played so much that it's basically burned into their brain. Everyone remembers Mario 64. That shit was huge. Same with Final Fantasy VII. Do as many people remember something like Legend of Dragoon? Nope. For the majority of the gaming world it was just something that was played once, if it was even finished.

Like 9 out of 10 games are made and then forgotten, even if they were fun. Final Fantasy's just one of those 9 now. That's the reality.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Going to finish Final Fantasy 1 today hopefully, I'm at the final boss and it will be a bitch because I have no more ethers left and no full MP on my mages, so let's see how I manage that, I have plenty of potions son, hopefully all will go well, Then I'll hop into FF2

Quote Originally Posted by Wry Guy View Post
    The honest truth is that plenty of people bought and enjoyed the most recent Final Fantasy entries. They just haven't been especially vocal about it. Final Fantasy isn't the big deal it used to be. In terms of sales it's still a beast, but a lot of people just buy it and have fun with it for a while and then forget about it.
    That's the problem ultimately. Final Fantasy isn't the memorable set piece it used to be nor the standard setting king. Now I'd put that Crown on Bethesda with Fallout & Elder Scrolls.

I look forward to the Tales series more than I do Final Fantasy today. Nothing against the Tales series which is great but it's a sad day for JRPG fans because of this IMO.

Pwnd
    It also didn't help that 13 was pretty shitty. We can blame the community and The Man™ all we want, but at the end of the day, it not only wasn't a good Final Fantasy game, but it wasn't even a good game (even with all of its ardent and apparently mute supporters that cannot be quantified). You play it once, you do the sidequests, and then you move on because it isn't good enough to warrant a replay. I had fun with it--the battle system was a blast and probably my favorite. But the overall package was not good. It certainly wasn't Square's best work, or even its average work. It deserved to fall by the wayside.

With that said, FFXIII-2 fixed a lot of its problems. I'll rep that game all day. That was one of the best JRPGs I've played in a while, nonsense story aside.

Quote Originally Posted by Wry Guy View Post
    I agree. The strangest thing I noticed is that ever since the online social age started people don't speak very much about games as it used to be years ago. A quick glance on most major websites' forum reveal that communication is dying.

I've personally spoken to a lot of people that enjoyed FFXIII, but most of them weren't necessarily big on videogames. They were more carefree casual types that just play whatever, or sometimes just the type that only play one or two series. That in itself is average too.

Gaming isn't a huge deal to most people. There are plenty out there who only buy a console to play 1 or 2 games, or just live by the bargain bin and play whatever's cheap. Kingdom Hearts fans really often fall in the camp of buying a console just for Kingdom Hearts (which is funny since they're nothing but spinoffs lately.) Kingdom Hearts fans are very often annoying as fuck, by the way. They only have one thing to talk about and they never shut the fuck up about it.

Speaking from retail experience here.

Personally I look forward to Shin Megami Tensei games. Persona 4 Arena was actually really fucking good (speaking as both a fighting game and jRPG fan). Nocturne was a hell of a PS2 game that I'm playing a second time in hopes of finishing it right now. I struggled with it the first time about 3 years ago and stopped half-way. It's a tough fucking game. I'm much better at SMT games than before after beating like 8 of them now.

Atlus is general has had a good run, what with Radiant Historia being one of the best RPGs I played in years. A lot of people I've spoken to say that Final Fantasy XIII-2 is kind of ripping it off, but I wouldn't know from experience. Something about the time travel mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by N7 View Post
    That's the problem ultimately. Final Fantasy isn't the memorable set piece it used to be nor the standard setting king. Now I'd put that Crown on Bethesda with Fallout & Elder Scrolls.
    Those games are too different in too many ways to measure them against JRPGs. I would sooner say that a game like Persona 4 was the last high standard for that genre if neither of the last two FF games counts.

I look forward to the Tales series more than I do Final Fantasy today. Nothing against the Tales series which is great but it's a sad day for JRPG fans because of this IMO.
    I haven't yet seen Tales of Xillia, but the Japanese went apeshit over that one. It's sure to not be a huge seller here, but it could be another high water mark. That series could certainly use one.
    Last edited by Caostotale; 12-07-2012 at 10:12 PM.