Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 19 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Space 3

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevil View Post
    I wished for this, big-time, in DS2.

They banged on about the importance of the convergence, without actually explaining what it was or what it did. I thought I missed something important, but no, they never explain the term. Even on the DS wiki, nobody actually knew what it meant, other than it was obviously bad (and maaaaaybe it created a hive mind). That was when I knew Visceral were stretching out a fairly vague mythos. They did a great job of aping Capcom in that regard.

I'll need some more context for DS3's ending (I only saw the last 9 minutes), but the final scenes are fairly cut and dry/wrapped up in a neat little package, and considering how the last two games tread a fine line with their answers, I don't think many will walk away all that satisfied.
    I kind of excused that because there isn't a narrator and information on what convergence was wasn't being provided by the crazy unitologists I encountered. It's clearly a big thing, even if not for the crazy corpse twister, at least "unity-ology" and converging was a thing. I hope they talk about it earlier in the game.

It doesn't sound all that different from the Alien series, what with killing Ripley and effectively the last queen alien in a wholly unrecoverable way. And then Resurrection happened...

Pwnd
    But do Isaac and Carver fuck? We still haven't answered that question.

Honkey Kong
    That would be the only redeeming "co-op" in all of this.

Pwnd
    "I built us a double-ended dildo at the crafting bench. My engineering degree is finally paying off."

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    Quote Originally Posted by Revuhlooshun View Post
    But do Isaac and Carver fuck? We still haven't answered that question.
    He taps him on the shoulder at point.

It's a slow burning romance.

Honkey Kong
    Fuck that Brokeback Mountain showed co-op done right. You wrestle that nigga down give a little kiss then take that booty hole.

Maybe in Dead Space 4.

To me, the ME3 ending spiralled out of control, so what was basically a rant about choices not affecting the ending to the fullest degree, then turned into this nitpick EVERYTHING debacle. I think the perfect example of their bullshit was when they donated to charity just so the ending was changed. A lot of people pumped money into Child's Play for their own reasons, not because they were helping others.
    Ehhh. It was never intended to be a trade-off, just a numerical indication of how disappointed they were... which, granted, was kind of weird anyway: "We're so annoyed at you that we're giving away additional money (on top of what we already spent on your game) to prove how annoyed we are." And, to be fair, just about everyone who donated actually read the description before hitting the Donate button. It's the Aspie's in every group that fuck it up for everyone.

The term "entitled gamer" really became kind of a rhetorical fallback position. It feels cathartic to say and you don't have to prove it using numbers and facts and stuff. It's as much of a bummer watching people trot out that old horse as it is listening to the conspiracy theorists wax endlessly about about EA buying off journalists and whatnot. Lazy vs. crazy. Everyone loses.

But, rilly doe, there's gotta be someone on DeviantArt cooking up some primo Issac/Carver Rule 34 type stuff.

The thing where they sent them cupcakes was pretty ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by The Defenestrator View Post
    Ehhh. It was never intended to be a trade-off, just a numerical indication of how disappointed they were... which, granted, was kind of weird anyway: "We're so annoyed at you that we're giving away additional money (on top of what we already spent on your game) to prove how annoyed we are." And, to be fair, just about everyone who donated actually read the description before hitting the Donate button. It's the Aspie's in every group that fuck it up for everyone.

The term "entitled gamer" really became kind of a rhetorical fallback position. It feels cathartic to say and you don't have to prove it using numbers and facts and stuff. It's as much of a bummer watching people trot out that old horse as it is listening to the conspiracy theorists wax endlessly about about EA buying off journalists and whatnot. Lazy vs. crazy. Everyone loses.

But, rilly doe, there's gotta be someone on DeviantArt cooking up some primo Issac/Carver Rule 34 type stuff.
    Who needs numbers when you have the entire BSN at your disposal?

But seriously, that's what happened. That's a fact that was reported and even prompted Penny Arcade to talk about the abuse of their Child's Play charity, and steps they were going to use to change that. Simple as. No "lazy vs crazy", no conspiracy theory, or making up stuff.

I mean, put it this way, that surge of donations popped up in a very small space of time, and completely dropped off when PA had to put their foot down. I bet if you took a poll of those donators, the results would be, most likely, that they did it as a statement towards BioWare. Did those people throw into the pot, before or after?

At the end of the day, giving to charity shouldn't be a statement towards a company's standing, regardless of if you've read the text before clicking. Mass Effect 3 has nothing to do with hospitals needing resources and the like. The reasons are no longer concerned with selflessness. They were all in the boat and it had nothing to with Aspergers.
    Last edited by Stevil; 02-01-2013 at 05:23 AM.

Regarding "convergence", I thought it was supposed to be a blatant allusion to religious zealots welcoming death via necromorph assimilation. The entire cult is ready to drink to KoolAid in the form of suicide-by-alien, and they're all pining for a trip to 'meet their marker'.

I'm kind of glad they didn't explain everything about convergence, you got a bit more on how the marker effects individuals but they didn't really ruin it in any way. That said, it was a bit odd that they revealed where the marker came from at the end of the first game, and that it was a copy, but then that was never really expanded upon in the sequel - I was expecting that to be a major plot point.

Quote Originally Posted by Arttemis View Post
    Regarding "convergence", I thought it was supposed to be a blatant allusion to religious zealots welcoming death via necromorph assimilation. The entire cult is ready to drink to KoolAid in the form of suicide-by-alien, and they're all pining for a trip to 'meet their marker'.
    From what I gathered, it was all the Necromorphs melding together to form one of the hive mind creatures.

But then, I never understood the huge growths on the Ishimura or why they need Infectors if the dead tissue re-animates near a marker, anyway. You just roll with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzadolphin56 View Post
    I'm kind of glad they didn't explain everything about convergence, you got a bit more on how the marker effects individuals but they didn't really ruin it in any way. That said, it was a bit odd that they revealed where the marker came from at the end of the first game, and that it was a copy, but then that was never really expanded upon in the sequel - I was expecting that to be a major plot point.
    That was sort of left to EA's merchandise bonanza, wasn't it?

Was it? I've only really played the games, oh and watched that short cartoon they did for the original.

Honkey Kong
    Necromorphs represent multiculturalism and Isaac is the great white Breivik hope. Visceral confirmed for bro-tier racisms.

>implying I know how to photoshop
    Last edited by usedtabe; 02-01-2013 at 09:10 AM.

Pwnd
    Dude, just PM me next time when you need a shop. Jesus, lol.

Honkey Kong
    Fix it for me pls bby.

Hurry Rev.

...you should probably make the woman look blonder aswell.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    She needs more eyes and bigger boobs. EA is on to something there.

- - - Updated - - -

She needs more eyes and bigger boobs. EA is on to something there.

Who needs numbers when you have the entire BSN at your disposal?

But seriously, that's what happened. That's a fact that was reported and even prompted Penny Arcade to talk about the abuse of their Child's Play charity, and steps they were going to use to change that. Simple as. No "lazy vs crazy", no conspiracy theory, or making up stuff.

I mean, put it this way, that surge of donations popped up in a very small space of time, and completely dropped off when PA had to put their foot down. I bet if you took a poll of those donators, the results would be, most likely, that they did it as a statement towards BioWare. Did those people throw into the pot, before or after?

At the end of the day, giving to charity shouldn't be a statement towards a company's standing, regardless of if you've read the text before clicking. Mass Effect 3 has nothing to do with hospitals needing resources and the like. The reasons are no longer concerned with selflessness. They were all in the boat and it had nothing to with Aspergers.
    Okay. Give me a sec here, I'm trying to parse your thoughts correctly. Are you saying their donations are irrelevant or wrong because it wasn't done purely out of selflessness? Because that's sort of a narrow interpretation of philanthropy... not to mention impossible to prove or police. Most of the "Retakers" I talked to were either annoyingly earnest or miserable, angry assholes long before ME3 came along. Broad statements about large groups of people tend to not end well.

Just because the donation is part of a protest or done for a self-serving reason doesn't mean the end result is tainted. That money still went to sick people in need who, I'm sure, are not going to turn in their Wii-motes just because whoever donated the money wasn't sufficiently selfless or were too dumb to realize what they were donating for.

As far as your other point, the ChipIn they organized had a specific time frame and existed entirely to draw attention to their movement so... yeah, you're right, that poll you took probably would say it was a statement towards BioWare because that was the whole point. It stopped because the PA guys shut it down. They didn't continue donating because they hit the amount they wanted, Child's Play made it clear they weren't wanted and the Extended Cut got announced anyway... and who has so much money that they can keep throwing it around even after their point was made? Basically, we agree on everything other than how we choose to frame it.

I get that Penny Arcade wouldn't want to be tied to a specific cause outside of their charity. That's totally their prerogative. But most of the "Retakers" I know (and goddamn does it feel silly typing that out) were just trying to use it to get a positive result to a negative situation. At the very least, it's not the white hat/black hat situation you present.

PS Necromorphs are cool. Plasma cutters are pretty rad.