Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 32 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Space 3

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    DS3 is going to be terrible. Universal ammo, what is this Gears of war?

Pwnd
    Has anybody played DS1 on a console in the last couple of months? I'm going back through the game and I'm finding a lot of things that are just plain awful. Many shadows look pixelated and a few of the sound effects, such as foot stomps or inanimate objects moving around, are heavily compressed--they sound like they're coming out of a Sega Genesis sound chip. I've sifted through other forums online and found not many discussions on these issues. Part of the problem is that these lower-quality aspects are hidden away in areas or situations that are not encountered often, so it's very easy for someone to either gloss over them or never encounter them at all (like I did apparently back in 2008).

A few rough shadows are not a big deal, but in a game that heavily depends on atmosphere and presentation, it's a little jarring to pick up an item and see Atari outlines.

And that's not even the worst of it. Sometimes when the game casts Isaac's shadow against a wall for dramatic effect, I can't even identify the figure as representing a human being. I really do not remember this game ever looking this awful. It's like looking at a reprint of the Mona Lisa you've had on your wall for 5 years and noticing a doodoo smear on the corner of it for the first time.

This? This right here? This is why I don't venture into the forums. Mr Andy Dixon's Avatar
    Wow. Don't remember that at all.

Pwnd
    Nostalgia goggles. I never bought into the hype around that game anyway. Played maybe a third of it and was like meh, time for something else.

Pwnd
    It's not even a matter of nostalgia. I can't find a review at the time of release that mentions these issues. Most discussion threads at the time do not mention them either. I've googled "shadow pixelation" and "audio compression" in Dead Space 1, and each topic brings maybe 2 or 3 results at best. It's as if these issues went completely under the radar.

Pwnd
    They probably weren't as noticeable then because it was a more common problem at the time. Plus the few people who mentioned the problem were likely pressured to shut up about it. You know, denounced as trolls and such.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Odd, I played these games to completion for the first time a few months ago and didn't pick up on any of that. If I weren't on my phone, I'd go into detail about what I liked and disliked with them, but I'll say they were both pretty great experiences - fantastic when compared to RE.

RE4 > Dead Space 2 > RE5 > Dead Space

I've been itching to replay DS.

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    I haven't played DS1 since I got the full 1000G, but I remember playing Impossible and noticing how the Necromorph textures are diabolical compared to the human ones. The worst offender is easily the pregnant ones. Next time you dismember one, just kick the body around for a bit, and you'll see some horrendeous low res textures that have been stretched to fit around the belly and armpits. So glad they fixed that for DS2.

As for the shadows, the PS3 has always had a hard time processing them, and they've always been a bit blocky and odd on the 360. It's not really confined to the Dead Space. You can pick just about any game from that year and all the shadows suffer from the same problems. Perfect example, Modern Warfare's Iraq levels.

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Legendhead View Post
    They probably weren't as noticeable then because it was a more common problem at the time. Plus the few people who mentioned the problem were likely pressured to shut up about it. You know, denounced as trolls and such.
    DONT U TALK THE SHIT ABOUT MY DEAD SPACE.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevil
    As for the shadows, the PS3 has always had a hard time processing them, and they've always been a bit blocky and odd on the 360. It's not really confined to the Dead Space. You can pick just about any game from that year and all the shadows suffer from the same problems. Perfect example, Modern Warfare's Iraq levels.
    Yeah, that's pretty true. I just always had this idea of the game being visually stunning, and then I put the thing in again and ass is all over the walls. My entire memory of the game was completely wrong. I attribute it to me not really giving a fuck about these things when the game was released--I didn't have an appreciation for details.

The sound compression is what throws me for a loop though. The guns sound fine, but then I do a stomp on an empty floor and I can hear a distinct and muffled crunching noise at the very end of it. It's as though the sound file has been put through the wringer with the lowest quality codec possible.

So were they're any non gamers present in the room, when you actually decided to google "Shadow Pixelation"? Did you have to explain all of why you were searching it?

Pwnd
    I answer to no one for my Google searches.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Not even yourself? And what's wrong with searching "Shadow Pixelation" that's just gibberish to uniformed people and 12 year olds

Pwnd
    I'm playing the demo right now. The human AI are stupid as fuck. I've been crouched behind cover for about 5 minutes now, and they just stand right in the open shooting at me the entire time. They never take cover (even when I shoot at them), they never move around, and they never think to flank me.

There is no cover system in this game. There is a "crouch behind object" system, but to call it a "cover system" would be very generous. I was expecting a lock-on cover system where you could peer over or around objects and corners, but you can only uncrouch from behind boxes. It's also very easy to slip out of "cover," even when you're not trying. You can still be hit while in "cover" too.

Universal ammo sucks. The ugly ass shadows still haunt Isaac (though I'm sure that this isn't the case in the PC version). Sometimes when I walk through a large amount of snow, it looks like I'm walking through a bubble bath (this is most noticeable after the QTE with the truck). I do not like that they got rid of the store as it has been in the last two games. The enemies are pretty boring so far, consisting of necromorphs covered in snow. Closet scares from under the snow are whatever. Weapon crafting seems overly complicated.

It's ok. It's not great, but it's not terrible either. Some of these technical issues may be fixed in the final release, but I'm not holding my breath. This demo is better than all of Resident Evil 6 at least. It is a little boring, but it's definitely better than RE6 (as low as a bar as that may be).

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by Revuhlooshun View Post
    DONT U TALK THE SHIT ABOUT MY DEAD SPACE.
    I'm glad you post walls of text though. I'd hate to be the only one who does that.

Pwnd
    Walls of text lack line or paragraph breaks. My spacing is unrivaled.

I finally found some AI towards the end of the demo that get into cover. What a rare feat. They still don't move or flank around though. I'm assuming that they got into cover only because the programmers gave them that specific instruction for this particular set piece. Whenever they're out in the wild (like when you save them from oncoming necromorphs), they stand around light lightpoles waiting to get nailed.

Pwnd
    Walls of text lack line or paragraph breaks. My spacing is unrivaled.
    So is the subliminality of your chosen avatar. I got punched ten hundred times while thinking of this response.

Also, subliminality isn't a real word. I used it to distract you from the fact that I have nothing constructive to say about Dead Space. Wait it won't work now that I told you about it. Fuck! Next thing I know you're gonna look on my memory card and tell me I've been playing Castlevania! Game over man! GAME OVER

Honkey Kong
    That's funny considering we've had flanking AI since F.E.A.R.

Pwnd
    It's like they're there to just get slaughtered by the necromorphs. I decided to save them and shoot the necromorphs first just to see how they'd react, and they were totally unprepared for that scenario.

"Whoa, what the fuck? We're still alive? How the hell...? So uh, shit, what do we do now?"

Maybe it's different in the final game. Though with that said, showing a rough draft of the game that makes it look stupid doesn't seem like a sound business strategy. Any interest I had in the game has been neutralized after playing this demo. It was ok, but not $60-ok.

And I want the old store back.

This? This right here? This is why I don't venture into the forums. Mr Andy Dixon's Avatar
    Maybe it's different in the final game.
    I've hoped for that way too many times in my life...

Anyway, starting the demo now, guys! Aren't you so excited for me?!