Page 107 of 170 FirstFirst ... 7 57 97 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 117 157 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,140 of 3384

Thread: Werewolf Graveyard-Where the dead can talk.

Beast Master
    Oh definitely, whoever's running it should always put something in there, I'm just saying different themes are going to grab different people's attention more. Like Dex's early stuff with the werewolves and the villagers and all that drew me in. I'll probably be into your fluff because I dug that movie. I like monsters and weird shit more than video games and spies, all I'm getting at.

I agree with ZP. For me, the fluff for the heavily themed games depended too much on the reader/player digging the theme so I wasn't too interested. I much prefer fluff of a brief nature that is good to read more so than fluff serving as a long form narrative for fans of the subject.

That being said, I prefer fluff I can skip to no fluff at all. Games with no fluff feel a little soulless.

Bringer of Truth
    So I had an idea awhile back after somebody mentioned doing a Blade Runner themed game.

What if in that one, only one person knew they were in fact an android (the "special" one as it were). It would certainly make trials more interesting, as everybody would believe they're telling the truth when they say they're not an android.

My "nerd" role from this game could be revived for it and told again how many monsters are in each group. The "main" android would know who the others are just because.

Just an idea I had, might be worth exploring.

THE MR.E BIRD
    It sounds interesting but then it doesn't really fit the Werewolf framework if there isn't really an enemy team. Worth thinking about further though.

Bringer of Truth
    Well there's still an enemy team: they all have to be found to win. They're just not actively taking part in the murdering. Regarding that I think if the "main" one were caught another would be chosen to take over, or else it could be game over if they're found out.

There could be a way to make them participants somehow though I have no idea how. Or it could go in the "offshoots" game.

THE MR.E BIRD
    I think it would be better as an offshoot, would give better freedom in how you set the rules and roles up.

Honkey Kong
    Like the idea agree it should be an offshoot for greater freedom. Just pretty please no dice.

Bringer of Truth
    No dice. RUNNING a game with dice is a nightmare.

Normally you just gather all the stuff to make sure everybody at night did their thing (Wolves got a target? Bodyguard did their thing? Seer? etc) and post it. With the dice you have to wait for all that and then do the other shit on top of it.

Beast Master
    Playing a game with dice is a nightmare.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Dafuq is a dice?

The Blade Runner idea sounds good.

[Level 6: Robot]
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamoctapus View Post
    Dafuq is a dice?
    A method of deciding certain outcomes, I.e. roll a theoretical 6 sided dice, if x occurs y is the resulting action.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful-dodgeR View Post
    A method of deciding certain outcomes, I.e. roll a theoretical 6 sided dice, if x occurs y is the resulting action.
    Ah, okay.

Wait, you were joking, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ClownBaby View Post
    So I had an idea awhile back after somebody mentioned doing a Blade Runner themed game.

What if in that one, only one person knew they were in fact an android (the "special" one as it were). It would certainly make trials more interesting, as everybody would believe they're telling the truth when they say they're not an android.

My "nerd" role from this game could be revived for it and told again how many monsters are in each group. The "main" android would know who the others are just because.

Just an idea I had, might be worth exploring.
    I think it would be better as more of a straight up werewolf game with some special "hero" roles (one per team: Deckard for Team Blade Runner and Roy Batty for Team Replicant).

Another idea could be to split the game into three teams: Blade Runners (special roles), Tyrell Corp (vanilla villagers), and the Replicants (wolves). The goal of the game would be different depending on the team: Replicants would have to eradicate Tyrell Corp; Blade Runners would have to "retire" Team Skin Job, and Tyrell Corp would have to survive the chaos. Blade Runners and Tyrell Corp Players would be unaware of the identity of their fellow team mates (fostering the sense of paranoia Werewolf is known for). Admittedly, this game would have to have to have a huge number of players to work properly.

One idea that might be cool to toy with would be the concept of the replicants' built-in obsolescence (4-year life cycle). Each could have a different incept date, and therefore a longer/shorter life span. This would add a sense of urgency on the wolf team. Perhaps the Blade Runners would be aware of the replicants' incept dates as they are in the film (without naming any players specifically).

Most likely, their life span would be a surprise, in order to prevent Team Blade Runner from exploiting the incept date and abstaining every night phase. The life span would have to be well-balanced, not too short, not too long; otherwise, it would be too easy for either team. Perhaps to balance the limited life span, the death of a replicant would confer a special ability on the remaining replicants (a freebie kill, protection, delaying the end of their life cycle, etc). Alternatively, there could be a larger number of "wolves" to offset the replicant deaths.

Special "hero" roles would be: Deckard (Team Blade Runner), Eldon Tyrell (Team Tyrell Corp) and Roy Batty (Team Replicant). Each would have a special ability of some kind (as above: a freebie kill, protection, delaying the end of their life cycle, etc). If Roy Batty (ie. Team Replicant) killed Eldon Tyrell or Deckard, Roy Batty would unlock another special ability to be activated at his disgression (or a team special ability). If Deckard/Tyrell (ie. Team Blade Runner/Team Tyrell Corp) "retired" Roy Batty (ie. via hanging), Both Deckard/Tyrell would unlock another special ability to be used at their disgression (ie. activated individually, affecting only their teams), the specifics of which (its effects) wouldn't be made public until it was activated.

An Interrogator would act in a similar capacity to a Seer, using the "Voight-Kampff" test (ie. a test of empathic response) to detect whether or not someone is a replicant. Other roles would need to be renamed, reworked somewhat to work in this format (not taking into account the special hero roles), but I think it could be awesome if handled properly. What do you guys think? Any of you old pros want to pick up and run with this?

By the way ClownBaby, replicants ain't your run of the mill androids, either, they're bio-androids. Best recognize.
    Last edited by MarcoSnow; 11-11-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Bringer of Truth
    Fool I own the book, recognize. Thus the part about the others not knowing what they are.

Mah bad, Clown. Seriously though, whaddya think of the idea I laid out? Too complicated? Workable?

Honkey Kong
    Either way it's not like we couldn't have two themed versions/games based on Blade Runner.

Just going to lay this out in advance, maybe we'll talk about the roles before kicking off the game tomorrow.

And we're still taking new players if anybody is lurking. It will be traditional rules so you won't need to learn a whole new jig, and it should breeze by comparatively quickly. (One game I ran lasted only three day phases, I think.)

Those familiar with the following info need only check out the roles - I'm taking out the Witch and putting in CB's Bodyguard... or at least a slightly altered version.

Player list:

1. Panzadolphin
    2. Usedtabe
    3. ZP
    4. Muckfoot
    5. Dexter
    6. CB
    7. MarcoSnow
    8. DJNeal
    9. Flamoctapus

Rules:

You're all more or less familiar with how the classic game works but just to re-establish things here's a quick summary:

The game is divided into night phases and day phases. During the night phase, players with roles related to night time activities communicate with me. The night usually ends with the death of one player at the hands of the Werewolves, discovered at the beginning of the day phase. During the day phase, players on the Villager team communicate publicly with each other in order to find out who the Werewolves are and, ideally, lynch them. Players on the Werewolves team may lie, manipulate others and resist detection as best they can. The wolves win when all the Villager team is killed; the villagers win when all the wolves are exterminated.

Roles are allotted secretly. You can claim to be whatever role you at at any time in the game - I won't stop you from that. The only thing you can't do is quote anything from the pm where you received your role. Bear in mind, the game tends to be more fun when players on the whole remain mysterious about their roles.

The roles you'll be seeing in this game are as follows:

Werewolves: Several players in this game will be werewolves. During the night phase, they secretly communicate with each other via PM on the topic of who they would like to kill.
    Seer: Once a night, PMs me with the name of a player whose team they would like to know. Is on the Villager team.
    Guardian Angel: Each night, assigns a player of their choice to serve as the Bodyguard until the following day. Cannot assign him/herself.
    Vigilante: Upon death, the Vigilante picks another player to die alongside him/her. Is on the Villager team.
    Cupid: At the very beginning of the game, Cupid PMs me with the names of two players he/she chooses to become Lovers. Cupid may choose him/herself to be a Lover, if that is his/her heart's desire. Cupid then reverts to being a perfectly normal player on the Villager team.
    Thief: At the beginning of the game, the Thief is given the choice of a few roles that are left over from when roles have been dealt. I won't tell you how many roles there are but rest assured it is more than the total number of players. The Thief picks one of these leftovers and adopts that role for the game.
    Villagers: A normal everyday player with no special powers. Sorry. Is on the Villager team.

Roles attributed during the course of the game:

Lovers:
    Picked by Cupid, two players are given the Lovers role in addition to their other role. The two players are then informed by me that they are to fall hopelessly in love with each other, which entails two things - 1) on the death of one Lover, the other Lover also dies; 2) neither Lover can vote to lynch the other, nor bring themselves to maul their beloved (should a Lover also be a wolf). Since their love is shameful, knowledge of the Lovers is secret only to Cupid and the Lovers themselves. Lovers can only win the game if they survive until the end. If the Lovers consist of a Villager and a Werewolf, they can only win by being the last two players alive at the game's end.

Bodyguard:
    Assigned nightly by the Guardian Angel, this player is granted the ability to defend a player of their choice from a wolf attack. The role expires come the following day phase, as does their protection. The Bodyguard is not able to protect him/herself.

The Sheriff:
    During the day phase, the village may decide to appoint one of the players as a Sheriff. The Sheriff role stacks with the appointed player's primary role and gives them the advantage of their lynching vote carrying twice the weight. In other words, during the vote to lynch, the Sheriff's vote counts twice, allowing the Sheriff to make or break ties. If the Sheriff dies, that player must immediately deputise another player who then takes up the mantle of Sheriff. And when that Sheriff dies, the badge is passed on again, and so on.

In order to nominate someone for Sheriff, simply post who you nominate in bold. The player with the most votes is the one who gets the Sheriff's badge. If at least half the village wants to abstain nobody becomes Sheriff. If more than half the village tries to nominate for a Sheriff, the one with the most votes gets it. In the case of a tie where all the nominations for a Sheriff are for a single player, and the number equals the total number of abstains, no-one is elected. The process repeats each day until a Sheriff is elected.

Lynching:

During the day phase, players simply put forward their vote on who they want to lynch or if they want to abstain. If more players vote to abstain than vote to lynch any single player, no lynching occurs. If more people want to kill a particular player than want to abstain, however, the player who receives the most votes against them is executed. In the event of a tie where all the votes to lynch are for a single player and equals all the votes to abstain, mob rule rules and lynching occurs.

Players can either voice their nomination in bold publicly, or PM them to me privately. Once all votes are in, I call the phase, reveal how the votes went and enact the appropriate result.

If the day phase is dragging because we're still waiting on players to put in their votes, I'll give a heads up that we're to move on with the game. If necessary (e.g. a good few hours later), I'll simply call an end to the phase with any unresolved votes counting as 'abstain.'

With currently nine players I don't think we can stretch it to three wolves so we'll stick with two. I'd like to throw in another new or interesting role but again I think we'd need more players, so for now we'll work with this.

Switching the Witch with the GA/BG means the villagers lose a kill potion and their definite save potion, but gains a potentially recurring saving role. It also means, along with the Lovers and Sheriff, you can be a normal Villager and still get something to do during the course of the game. However, the possible deductive energy of the GA role is still something we'll have to see in action before we can determine if it's over-powered.

I've made both the GA and their BG unable to choose themselves. How does that sound?

Honkey Kong
    Yes. Cupid's back.