Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Games You Wish Didnt Have Sequels

Pow! Right in the kisser!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarvu View Post
    I wish no game ever had sequels.
    HA! I was literally just going to post this statement.

So much wasted effort when all this time could be spent developing new, and ground-breaking IPs.

Stop it, developers. Just stop it now.

Unless of course, you want to finish that sequel to Beyond Good & Evil.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    I'm conflicted. I don't hate sequels, in fact a ton of my favorite games are sequels, but I do think that they shouldn't go on too long. Like we should retire some franchises like Resident Evil and Final Fantasy. I mean I wouldn't mind if Capcom just started another series of zombie games (I mean, besides Dead Rising), just as long as it isn't Resident Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzadolphin56 View Post
    I didn't mind the change to FPS with Syndicate so much (though obviously, an isometric strategy like the original would have been better) it was just how little effort they'd put into the story or characters with that game that annoyed me. Oh and how lazy the PC port was in general.
    I think it could have been great in the hands of another developer. Never understood the love Starbreeze gets.

I think the problem was more EA, they wanted to revive the IP so they dictated the sort of crappy generic plot they wanted ...that's only a guess though. Haven't had much experience of Starbreeze outside of Syndicate but they did a good job with the mechanics, visual style, gameplay elements.

THE MR.E BIRD
    I don't hate sequels. I just hate games.

Also, BG&E HD is on my to play list. I am terrible. I know.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    My favorite games of all time are sequels: DMC3, Ocarina of Time, Resident Evil 2, MGS3, and even MGS is a sequel to Metal Gear games. Sequels should refine, offer new twists and settings, and give players more of what they want. I don't want everything to try to be the next unique thing. Dishonored is a new IP, but it seems more similar to Bioshock than DmC is to its series predecessors.

Games that I wish didn't have a sequel... Mass Effect (yup), Dragon Age Origins, and the rest I was going to list were sequels themselves, so I felt they shouldn't count. EA's Bioware really stunk up some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzadolphin56 View Post
    I think the problem was more EA, they wanted to revive the IP so they dictated the sort of crappy generic plot they wanted ...that's only a guess though. Haven't had much experience of Starbreeze outside of Syndicate but they did a good job with the mechanics, visual style, gameplay elements.
    I hate the way the weapons handle in their games.

I mean I know they're going for realism but there were times when I'd fire at a dude standing just a few feet in front of him and miss every shot because the recoil on the guns are so ridiculously high.

Plus they overdid it with the bloom. Way overdid it.

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    Dynasty Warriors

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    Quote Originally Posted by Arttemis View Post
    Games that I wish didn't have a sequel... Mass Effect (yup), Dragon Age Origins, and the rest I was going to list were sequels themselves, so I felt they shouldn't count. EA's Bioware really stunk up some ideas.
    The first Mass Effect is a set-up, so I can't imagine it not having sequels. But I see what you mean, it shouldn't have had the sequels that were released. I always imagined ME3 turning out like it did, if a little streamlined, though.

I've never bothered with Dragon Age. I'd like to play the first game, and from what I've heard about the story, it's basically self-contained (including the expansions). One day, I'll give it a go...but I have no interest in DA2.

[Level 5: Mech]
    Definitely fable 2.

I loved the second one, but 3 was fucking painful to play through.

Halo 3. I don't care how good Halo 4 is; the story is done.

The Hunger Games. Am I doing this right?

Nope, but I did see what you did there

The Fable series became very awful after the first game...

THE MR.E BIRD
    Very much so. Such a shame.

Beast Master
    The second game was still great, and Pub Games on XBLA was a fun diversion and neat idea in general.

Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail. Even though that entry in the series wasn't all that good, I still enjoyed it. Later games though...meeeh

Deux Ex: Invisible War. Haven't played HR yet, but IW was such a let down for me

Didn't enjoy RE4, RE5 or RE6 as much either. Could have just stopped after Code Veronica and just made remakes of RE2 and RE3

Fin Sahrot Dovahkodaav
    ^ Obligatory "What? You didn't like RE4?"
    (But you know, to each their own.)

Also, while I don't mind that there was a sequel, I really wish that Megaman Battle Network didn't have 6-ish sequels.

My girlfriend's new to games and has been playing through Final Fantasy VII for the first time and I'm reminded of just how abominable that game's spin-offs and movie sequel were in comparison with the original game.

Quote Originally Posted by Caostotale View Post
    My girlfriend's new to games and has been playing through Final Fantasy VII for the first time and I'm reminded of just how abominable that game's spin-offs and movie sequel were in comparison with the original game.
    I've been playing Crisis Core and it has been fun, it's a good game for background story, certainly much more interesting main character than Cloud

Totally misread that and thought your girlfriend had been playing Crisis Zone.

I bloody loved that game.