Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: DOOMed! (The DOOM Series Thread)

THE MR.E BIRD
    There's a competition there?

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    Am I the only one who, as a child, couldn't walk down a dark hallway without imagining a pink demon chasing behind you? And having to strongly resist the urge to start sprinting towards light? That shit messed me up for years.

Quote Originally Posted by randombullseye View Post
    My favorite flame war of 2004, DOOM 3 against Half Life 2.

Beast Master
    I first played Doom when I rented the Super Nintendo version as a kid. It's funny to me because my mom wouldn't let me rent Mortal Kombat because it was "too violent", but we could rent Doom because she didn't know any better. MK got all the controversy, so Doom was fair game.

This? This right here? This is why I don't venture into the forums. Mr Andy Dixon's Avatar
    DOOM was the first game I ever played on the first PC my family ever owned. My parents did NOT approve after they found out.

I loved doom as a kid, it led to great things like Quake, Dark forces and substance abuse. Well maybe that last one was all me but my mother strongly linked the two, so I don't know.

Strangely all these years later, I find Doom's the most fun and easiest to play with an Xbox controller. The lack of vertical look is an asset when moving around with thumb-sticks lol.

THE MR.E BIRD
    True, and if you can get an elasticated band on the controller right you can give your left trigger finger a rest if you're running all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Puhnkss View Post
    I loved doom as a kid, it led to great things like Quake, Dark forces and substance abuse. Well maybe that last one was all me but my mother strongly linked the two, so I don't know.

Strangely all these years later, I find Doom's the most fun and easiest to play with an Xbox controller. The lack of vertical look is an asset when moving around with thumb-sticks lol.
    Ah man, Dark Forces, I loved that game. Shooting storm troopers in the face and getting to run around a star destroyer (think it was a star destroyer at the end.)

Second to last level was the Super Star Destroyer, then the "arc hammer" which was a weirdly shaped star destroyer.

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    We used to install Doom and Wolfenstein on the school PC's during free period. The weird thing was, our IT teacher didn't seem to mind, as long as nobody else saw it.

Good times.

THE MR.E BIRD
    That's IT departments for you. They just know better.

Quote Originally Posted by Puhnkss View Post
    Second to last level was the Super Star Destroyer, then the "arc hammer" which was a weirdly shaped star destroyer.
    Ah yeah, that's it. You had to fight those dark troopers on the last level, if I remember right. Good times.

Sequel was pretty good and all.

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    Sequels were more than good. Jedi Knight and Jedi Knight II were amazing. Still are, really.

Didn't care much for Jedi Academy, though.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Here's an interesting little factoid that I read earlier today:

"When [Gabe Newell] was at Microsoft in the early 90’s, he commissioned a survey of what was actually installed on users’ PCs. The second most widely installed software was Windows.

Number one was Id’s Doom."

Crazy shit.

Beast Master
    OLD GOBUINS SHIT I STILL HAVE HJOSTED:

DON"T WORRY, IT DIND:T MAKE SENSE WHEN I MADE THEM EITHER.

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Andy Dixon View Post
    My all-time favorite DOOM is DOOM II, but I also love the first... AND the third!

What's yours?
    A DOOM thread?!? Time for some "DOOM Dialoguing"? Now I have a reason to get into the forums!

I LOVE the old DOOM games. Doom 3 I still like, but... it's not the same feel. Serious Sam is close, but nothing has matched the lightning-fast, circle-strafing goodness that DOOM captured.

My favourite? None of the official releases. Well, Final Doom I suppose (specifically, the TNT: Evilution episode), but that wasn't done by id. All the quality mods were what made it for me. Aliens TC, Batman DOOM, and especially Cyberdreams are amazing.

[Level 2: Human]
    I used to love playing the old DOOM games, but I recently had them ruined for me; thanks to this:

[Level 6: Robot]
    Yeah Brutal Doom is pretty stupid. Aeons of Death however, is great. It turns Doom into a megamix compilation of every awesome FPS from the 90's. And it even feels vaguely RPGish, with the randomized enemies and weapons.

Keeper of the Reals
    Wow, what even shit is that?

This? This right here? This is why I don't venture into the forums. Mr Andy Dixon's Avatar
    My thoughts exactly. (Though I think it looks kinda cool, to be honest.)