Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Sleeping Dogs

Pwnd

Sleeping Dogs

How in the hell do we not have a thread for this game yet. Here's the most recent video;

Bringer of Truth
    I have played this video game, in a secret hotel meeting room thingy.

It is fucking rad.

Frodo Bangins
    wasnt this a true crime game at one point?

Bringer of Truth
    KIND of.

At first it was an original IP. I forget what their name for it was, I can dig it up in my notes. I want to say something with the word "Lotus" in it. Then they were told that Squeenix wanted to make a True Crime game and basically the name got tacked onto this game.

Then they lost the license and they were "forced" to change it back to an original IP, though that's what they wanted from the beginning so the dev team was happy with this development.

It has always been what it is right now: being True Crime and changing from NOT being that never changed the game. It was always just added to the title, so that never affected development.

The settled on Sleeping Dogs both as a cue to the phrase "Let sleeping dogs lie" and to create a cinematic sounding name. The game itself draws heavily from Hong Kong cinema including the John Woo movies and particularly Internal Affairs (the movie The Departed is based on)

Actually the building I viewed the game in was across the street from where the rooftop scene in The Departed was filmed, they were quite excited to point that out.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Looking and sounding good, will be tempted with this when it hits.

I've been stoked since I heard it was a game bared on HK cinema. Huge fan, and the videos look amazing. Definitely buying this, and partly to support the devs and SE's decision to allow devs to make this.

@clown - I thought SE bought this from Activation last year. Was that not the case?

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    Yeah, it completely appeals to me, but I'm going to wait for the reviews. There's something about the combat that doesn't sit too well.

Bringer of Truth
    Quote Originally Posted by Arttemis View Post
    I've been stoked since I heard it was a game bared on HK cinema. Huge fan, and the videos look amazing. Definitely buying this, and partly to support the devs and SE's decision to allow devs to make this.

@clown - I thought SE bought this from Activation last year. Was that not the case?
    That's right, Square were the ones that got the license and had them make it an original IP again. Got mixed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevil View Post
    Yeah, it completely appeals to me, but I'm going to wait for the reviews. There's something about the combat that doesn't sit too well.
    The combat was incredibly smooth. The environmental stuff had a very Arkham Asylum vibe to it with the environmental kills. Guns were available and the shooting felt straight out of a third person shooter. The mix of both of those being great blew me away and I was playing Pre-Alpha.

I found a glitch while I was playing that had the dev team cracking up because they had never encountered or seen it before. When I was walking around I passed what I figured for a hooker and a prompt came up. I figured it was just like in GTA or anything else until I read it: "Press X to get car"

There was a garage half a block away that it was trying to access but it did it there. I told them they should keep it in.

[Level 5: Mech]
    I really want this to be good and sell well. I know i'll get it at some point, just with the wave of games coming I'm making sacrifices.

Shooting looks fun. I'll probably get it.

I'm excited for an original game! I like sequels and franchises but it's nice to have something new.

Pow! Right in the kisser!
    Word.

[Level 8: Skynet]

Last edited by Steven Hansen; 07-31-2012 at 02:45 AM. Reason: to add another sleeping dog

17. 07-31-2012, 03:11 AM
    Reason
    image disappeared

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Legendhead View Post
    Sir, that truly is a legendary head.

This and #darksiders2 out within a week of each other, increased backlog approaching.

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by Edd Strid View Post
    Sir, that truly is a legendary head.

This and #darksiders2 out within a week of each other, increased backlog approaching.
    Ah thanks!

I'm sticking with just this, myself. I need a new drive around/kung fu/shooty shotty thing to play with.

As far as wild mythological adventure brawlers, I've barely even started on Thor. Not exactly the new hotness but then again I don't exactly care.
    Last edited by Sir Legendhead; 08-03-2012 at 05:53 AM. Reason: note: this was posted before I realized how much that Thor game sucks

I pre-ordered this for tf2 items.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRemedy View Post
    I pre-ordered this for tf2 items.
    I'm gonna go the same thing