10-19-2012, 01:13 PM
After beating the game last night, I started typing up a whole big thing this morning, and decided to make it into a cblog instead.
10-22-2012, 09:37 AM
Wow. Classic difficulty is no fucking joke. I started a second campaign over the weekend, and I'm getting my ass kicked left and right after 6 or 7 missions. So many crits!
I'm trying to focus more on satellites and base building this time around, which is leaving my soldiers with some shitty gear. I miss my Double Tap snipers from the last campaign.
I went with a Star Trek TNG theme for my squad, and Riker earned the nickname "Rascal." Perfect.
Last edited by Char Aznable; 10-22-2012 at 11:18 AM.
10-22-2012, 11:01 AM
I decided to just do my second playthrough on normal, but with ironman and a few second wave features. Got thrashed the first few times because I used too many custom options but started again and everything's going well so far. Mutons are a bitch on ironman and my rosters are a bit light on good soldiers but it's more fun than my first playthrough.
10-22-2012, 11:32 AM
Nice, which second wave stuff did you enable? Some of those options seem like they'd make the game unbelievably hard. I wonder if console players will get this stuff as DLC (hopefully for free, or maybe bundled with more content).
Originally Posted by Panzadolphin56
I was actually thinking about where they could go with further DLC. The structure of the game doesn't seem like it would work if they just plopped down another chunk of story missions in the middle. Additional stages for multiplayer would be lame. Maybe a series of one-off missions on the side with specific circumstances or win conditions, like Call of Duty's Spec Ops mode? I'd be down for that. I'd love to see some form of co-op, if that wouldn't break the game.
Has anyone online found more secret heroes, aside from the first four that were shown like Ken Levine and Sid Meier?
10-22-2012, 12:38 PM
Not created equal, Greater good, hidden potential and absolutely critical - Basically my recruits have more random attributes, level up randomly, I need to interrogate a psionic alien to get psionics and hitting somebody from the flank gets you a critical (works both ways.)
I'm hoping they make them official, people were badgering them for it on the 2K forums and it looks as though DLC is in the works so hopefully they put it in. Plus they seem to give normal difficulty that extra edge it needs to be a bit more challenging.
As far as the DLC itself, I'd like to see more customisation options, possibly putting in a few of the aliens that didn't make it (I think they left a few out.) Possibly some new environments (jungle maybe?). Apparently there's some hidden achievements that point to unique mission objectives that might be DLC related.
10-23-2012, 04:56 PM
[Level 2: Human]
Its nice to see the game get a difficulty boost not because the game isn't hard but to shut up all those complainers that the game needs something more. Has anyone dared to use all the second wave options? Right now I'm personal struggling on my second game in the classic difficulty going on Iron man mode... I haven't had this much fun in years
10-24-2012, 01:40 PM
Same here, dude, but I don't have the balls for iron man just yet. I would've ragequit already, because this classic difficulty pulls no punches. I just reached the alien base mission last night (the one with the skeleton key), so I'll see how it goes.
Originally Posted by Benefit Evil
Apparently, I missed a few research opportunities in my first playthrough on normal. I didn't get that achievement, nor the one for downing every type of UFO. Looks like I missed the Guided Fusion Launcher, a weapon only available for research after you take down a Battleship-class UFO. Damn you, XCOM.
10-24-2012, 01:58 PM
So is this incredibly rad?
Because I think I've decided that WHEN I can afford a game (maybe next month, maybe this check, depends on how many hours I got this check), this is next on my list.
10-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Well there's DLC coming out in a month or two, so it might be worth waiting for that if there's some sort of deal but other than that yeah, it's great.
10-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Agreed, it's fuckin' awesome. The game is hard to put down when I need to go to bed for the night, which is always a good sign for me (or troubling, depending on your point of view).
10-25-2012, 11:02 AM
Well not this check, maybe next. Maybe.
10-26-2012, 10:37 AM
I just had my first country pull out last night, and I'm a little more insulted than I probably should be. Where the fuck do you think you're going, America? You're just gonna fight back that whole invading armada on your own?
Fine, we don't want you in XCOM anyway. Get your unilateral ass outta my sight.
I wish I could have a spite-based revenge mission afterward, where MY TEAM gets to invade America and pillage some resources. That'll teach 'em.
11-24-2012, 01:59 AM
I don't know if my heart can take this. Got the game today...classic difficult. First guy was a heavy, he was oh so good to me. Chadathan 'Hulk' Brodoza...you will forever live on as the beer guzzling, mutton chopped, asian beefcake with laser weapons that everyone loves and that damn Muton pack can suck your balls.
Brodo 'Wardog' Braggins and Pepe 'Specter' Le Pew will kill all these son's of bitches. ALL OF EM
12-01-2012, 01:58 AM
So new DLC comes out next week, anybody picking it up day one?
I'll probably get it, but I think I'll wait awhile; the fixed missions aren't really what I play XCOM for :|
12-03-2012, 11:37 AM
This game's in a drawer and I can't touch it until Christmas. The wait is fucking killing me. GAH!
12-03-2012, 11:46 AM
I'll probably hold off on the DLC for a bit, I've moved on to some other games. I definitely will return, though. I have unfinished business with my Classic playthrough.
12-03-2012, 04:37 PM
I wouldn't bother with the DLC.
It's three campaign missions - escort, timed, and assault the base. I believe they're not randomised maps, either. As a reward, you get one unique character to play around with, some new customisation options and earlier access to some heavy weaponry. Oh, and you have to start a new game to activate it.
12-04-2012, 01:31 AM
Yeah, it sounds pretty weak from what I've read. I think if I do get it I'll wait till it's cheap on Steam with the next bit of DLC, aslong as that's not lame too :/
12-07-2012, 11:19 PM
So I just did an interesting test that really just kind of ruffles my feathers. New game, first terror mission, I have a 99% chance to hit this target but the only character I have yet to use has a habit of missing...well..everything. I save the game and reload whenever she misses. There's supposed to be a one percent chance of failure on this and she's missed a point blank shotgun shot 15 times in a row now. How does this even happen?
12-08-2012, 02:11 AM
Perhaps the point you saved it at, the game has already decided the outcome of that?
Originally Posted by Konnery
Anyways, a 99% chance to hit doesn't mean that if you do it 100 times it will hit 99 of them. If it's randomly generating those numbers each time you just got the 1% 15 times in a row.
I see this all the time at work both this way and the reverse. There's a blackjack bonus that pays 9 to 1 and has roughly a 1 in 15 chance of hitting, yet sometimes it will hit 4 times in a row. Other nights there will be entire shoes where it never shows up.