Page 36 of 43 FirstFirst ... 26 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Resident Evil Thread

Pwnd
    I've finally beaten the three main campaigns and am on Ada's. I just ran into a Resident Evil puzzle I could not solve for the first time in my life. Kudos, RE6 -- you finally won some points in my book.

Bringer of Truth
    So I hear RE6 is pretty fucking terrible, is that the general consensus?

Not in the "RE5 is bad" way, where it was basically just a bad RE game, but from what I hear this is just straight up not a good game at all.

Honkey Kong
    Pretty much.

Pwnd
    The AI has significant problems. I've caught both my allies and enemies staring at each other a handful of times.

The knockdown mechanic. A lot of time in this game is spent being knocked down onto the ground, sometimes for the simplest brushes of a shoulder. Other times, an enemy will grab you from the ground even though you've begun to shoot at him. Because the grab has invincibility frames, you will be dragged down and forced to button mash every single time.

Many bosses go on for too damn long. Fighting a boss in 4 different parts doesn't make me feel like he's a badass -- it just makes me feel like I'm a bitch.

The game likes to make you go through incredible amounts of button mashing in its QTEs, only for you to fail the in-game scene anyways. Many times it forces you to run, jump, slide, climb ladders, drop down ledges, mash the A button, spin both analog sticks, and then snap the right trigger in the perfect time frame in order to escape some catastrophic event. By the end of the scene though, it ends up getting to you anyways and flings you down some hole.

Health items and ammunition can be incredibly scarce, but not in a good way. In such an action-heavy game where you're encouraged to spill bullets, it sure likes to take a shit on you for doing just that.

The cover mechanic. You go into cover by holding down the L trigger. You also aim your weapon by holding down the L trigger. Aim near any type of solid object, and you will be dragged into cover against your will. Now if you want to hide behind the cover, you have to hold both the L trigger and the A/X button. If you let go L (which is your natural inclination since it is the aim button -- letting go if it in cover would logically correspond with that convention), you will get thrown out of cover and into your enemies.

Bad camera positioning. The game forces the camera to look at certain events even if you're in the middle of being attacked. This of course leads you into getting knocked down once the game gives you the camera back. Other times it will turn backwards as you're moving forward, which causes you to go backwards while you're being chased by something (which then causes you to die as you end up running into it), but then it'll swing forward again while you're already going backwards from the previous camera shift, which is actually forwards in that view, causing you to instead go backwards again (which then causes you to die as well).

I can go on, but I'll end it here with simply stating that the game is just bad. It has its moments, but I would never spend money on it. A 5/10 is an appropriate score.

^ That pretty much.

There's some stuff with the health system and the way enemies attack that's annoying too but that sums up the biggest problems.

Pwnd
    I will say though that Jake may be one of my favorite characters in both Resident Evil and video games in general. I was stunned to see an actual person that had been given the time for a proper personality.

"All you jarheads look the same to be, pal"

(pretty sure I got that wrong)

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Still disappointed he didn't turn out to be HUNK.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    God, I wish every game had a different cast, with no more than one return appearance per few games. We don't need to see the same names or this soap opera of a shark jump story. This hardly applies to RE6, though, because the cast is about the least relevant issue regarding wtf is wrong with the direction the game/series took.

well, frig. I was hoping with the separate campaigns they'd at least deliver on the promise of having different Resi styles, but from what I'm hearing this is a shitpile of trainwrecks. I enjoyed RE5, if nothing else for the co-op, and loved the throwback of Lost In Nightmares. I hate myself for knowing that I'll eventually buy this, maybe when it's 15 bucks or so.

I think co-op is the main problem with both games really, too much has been conceded in terms of gameplay and atmosphere in order to get the co-op to work properly enough for people to be able to play it that the games themselves no longer really work as horror games.

Not that I'm against co-op in principle.

I can agree with that, I guess it's a matter of perspective: I would've outright hated RE5 if it were a strictly single-player game. As it was (I only played offline with my brother) I found it to be an enjoyable, if flawed, experience. It's not that the design was great either; most puzzles required you to be in the same place and there were (almost?) no segments where you got separated and had to coordinate properly. While playing I kept thinking of Resident Evil Zero and how that forced you to play two characters and optimize resource management in creative ways. In my dreams, I was hoping for RE6 to go in the direction of a two-player RE Zero mansion exploration affair. Any pretense of that went right out of the window when they showed the first demo, though.

It helped that RE5 was a decent shooter overall, though a bad Resi game. I'm probably repeating somebody else's opinion from this same thread, but RE6 sounds like a crap game, period.

It's bad that they explicitly admitted they went in this direction to boost mass appeal in spite of the survival horror niche. That's the really, really depressing thing. Even sadder is that as of today, despite the outcry and low scores, RE6 is the top-selling game worldwide on any system.

I don't think horror is necessarily niche though, even survival horror - in some respects horror has more universal appeal than space marines or burly dudes with guns ever will. It's just the type of experience people want that's at odds with a really scary horror game; they want a positive, action-packed experience that they can enjoy as an empowerment fantasy - much like an interactive action film, and that can often conflict with what makes a good horror game (feeling weak, avoiding confrontation, slow-pace, etc.)

The point is finding the balance between the two, which is something the early Resident Evil games did in their time, and RE4 did in its own way, and 5 and 6 seem to have lost sight of in the dash for lowest common denominator appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Panzadolphin56 View Post
    I don't think horror is necessarily niche though, even survival horror - in some respects horror has more universal appeal than space marines or burly dudes with guns ever will.
    Oh yeah, I was talking about the classic gameplay structure, not the themes necessarily. Even CoD had zombies at one point, which should say something.
    It's all part of the larger-scale dumbing down of big-market videogames which I think we're all well aware of by now. More than empowerment fantasies (which are definitely a part of it), I think it's about making experiences that are linear, accessible and familiar. Now we have an overkill of objective markers and assist characters telling you where to go (something that almost ruined Dead Space for me, to name one). It's great to have games that you can leave aside for two weeks and come back to and they remind you what you have to do. It's less great to have the objective hammered into your head repeatedly until you just stop listening to what anyone has to say and drone towards markers like Pavlov's dog.
    Not to mention that puzzles and mental challenges of any kind are all but disappearing. Puzzles like, say, Silent Hill 2's seem like a memory from a distant era. For crying out loud, the hardest puzzle in Skyrim (tied for top fucking rated game last year) is "look up the combination on the key which you find right next to the locked door".

I'm not saying that certain mechanics were perfect ten years ago; riddles in Silent Hill and point'n'click games necessarily forced you to stop playing and think. That's not always good. However instead of trying to keep that kind of challenge in games in more streamlined ways, everybody just seems to be removing the challenge altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinryu View Post
    Oh yeah, I was talking about the classic gameplay structure, not the themes necessarily. Even CoD had zombies at one point, which should say something.
    I know, I was responding more generally to Capcom's belief that horror doesn't sell, which I thought is what you were referencing.

It's all part of the larger-scale dumbing down of big-market videogames which I think we're all well aware of by now. More than empowerment fantasies (which are definitely a part of it), I think it's about making experiences that are linear, accessible and familiar. Now we have an overkill of objective markers and assist characters telling you where to go (something that almost ruined Dead Space for me, to name one). It's great to have games that you can leave aside for two weeks and come back to and they remind you what you have to do. It's less great to have the objective hammered into your head repeatedly until you just stop listening to what anyone has to say and drone towards markers like Pavlov's dog.
    Not to mention that puzzles and mental challenges of any kind are all but disappearing. Puzzles like, say, Silent Hill 2's seem like a memory from a distant era. For crying out loud, the hardest puzzle in Skyrim is "look up the combination on the key which you find right next to the locked door".

I'm not saying that certain mechanics were perfect ten years ago; riddles in Silent Hill and point'n'click games necessarily forced you to stop playing and think. That's not always good. However instead of trying to keep that kind of challenge in games in more streamlined ways, everybody just seems to be removing the challenge altogether.
    I think that's true, but at the same time the games market has changed, there are more games than ever and they're all vying for people's money. So with the big companies atleast there's the perception that games that slow down at any point or tax the player won't sell big numbers.

Personally I'd love to see a slower paced, more old-fashioned survival horror game, one which mixes point and click elements with puzzles that can take you days to figure out. Just get rid of the clunky controls and low production values of 10 years ago.

What in the fuck.

I assume that's a gif that tapatalk won't play. I am worried to see it in motion.

Yeah, it's a giraffe... thing

Pwnd
    I decided to boot up RE1 on my PS3 today. It's been a few years since I've touched the original game, and there was nothing else I felt like playing at the moment. For this playthrough I chose to play as Chris on the Arrange Mode, since I've never played either in all of my years (I always needed that lockpick and extra inventory crutch). I figured I'd might as well try some new shit by playing with a "new" character and an entirely clean slate.

I died in 10 minutes. To some regular ass zombie. It wasn't even a contest. I was in that "Gotta save muh bullets, use only muh knife" mindset and I got cornered. Either these old ass games got hard or I just started sucking more. It's probably a case of the latter.