Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: The Legend of Zelda Series

Gym Leader

The Legend of Zelda Series

I absolutely adore the Legend of Zelda. It was one of the first games to break the "arcade" mold that had become the standard back in the late eighties, and over the past twenty two years it has manged to captivate the hearts and minds of children and adults through every iteration. For me, personally, nothing comes close to the connection I feel with it.

After revisiting an old blog of mine today, I've begun to wonder how the gaming public at large feels about this series, how it was, what it is now, and where they'd like to see it go in the future. So, Destructoid, what say you?

HERE THAR BE SPOILERS.

READ ON AT YER OWN RISK MATEY.

Gym Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
    Long Zelda related post
    If I didn't have a concussion and wasn't sick with the flu, I would argue some points here. Give me a week or so.

In the meantime, I'll let my good friend John Solgrim take care of you.

The Zelda series is my favourite game series of all time.
    I am excited to play LTTP again on my Pandora when I get it in two months.
    The two N64 games were incredible in my opinion. With Majora's Mask being my favourite game of all time.

Majora's Mask >>> All of them.

/Morty's thread contribution.

Fifth Dimensional Admin
    I haven't played Phantom Hourglass yet, so I can't speak on that.

Twilight Princess was a game I really tried to love, but it just seemed like too much busy work. Too many drawn out sidequests to do, everything left like it was being padded to inflate the length. I didn't think it was a bad game, but I just couldn't bring myself to finish it. I will one of these days.

Overall I love the Zelda series, but I think it might be time for a reinvention of the game. The OoT formula is starting to get a bit stale. With the Wii's new input capabilities, it's time for Miyamoto to work some magic and prove that he's still got it.

Gym Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxyzptlk View Post
    Overall I love the Zelda series, but I think it might be time for a reinvention of the game. The OoT formula is starting to get a bit stale. With the Wii's new input capabilities, it's time for Miyamoto to work some magic and prove that he's still got it.
    I do and don't understand the argument that the OOT formula is overused. It was used in ALTTP originally, and it was ported over to the Ocarina of Time because it was guaranteed to work. None of Eiji Aonuma's games used this formula until Twilight Princess, and then only because a sea of angry nerds clamored for it after Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and Four Swords Adventure failed to meet their expectations of what a Zelda game should be.

Now, if another Zelda game is released that follows that exact formula again on a home console, then I will join the legions of angry nerds who type away furiously at their computers about how the Zelda series has lost its way.

[Level 8: Skynet]

I really don't understand the hate for Phantom Hourglass, but it seems to be a very loudly voiced protest of a small minority that really hate the game. Personally, I thought Phantom Hourglass had plenty of magic to spare.

I don't play a Zelda game for the difficulty, nor do I play them for some incredible story and narrative. What fucking pipe are you smoking if you play Zelda for its story? Ocarina of Time had a minimal story at best, and the timeline is so incredibly fucked up that not even Nintendo likely knows what the actual plot of the series is.

I personally really enjoyed having to use my items to find shortcuts in the Temple of the Ocean King, and using the touch screen to play the game. Sailing wasn't that bad either to me, though it is the one point in the game I actually did wish they would pump up the difficulty some. Pin point hookshot/grappling hook accuracy was a great novelty to me.

The multi-player was pretty damn good too. I wonder how many people actually tried it.

I can't say much about the Zelda series since I've never played it before, but I CAN comment on Final Fantasy. In all seriousness, how many of these games are fucking released in a year? And they're almost always the same game. I've had more than a few whirls at these games, and its the same exact bullshit over and over again. What is so spectacular about this series now? Nothing. And yet it's still extremely popular. I just dont get it!

Gym Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by The Legendary Star View Post
    I can't say much about the Zelda series since I've never played it before, but I CAN comment on Final Fantasy. In all seriousness, how many of these games are fucking released in a year? And they're almost always the same game. I've had more than a few whirls at these games, and its the same exact bullshit over and over again. What is so spectacular about this series now? Nothing. And yet it's still extremely popular. I just dont get it!
    Hey you, no thread derailing. All of that nonsense can go here.

But... But!

Someone said something about FF!

Gym Leader
    But... But!

Someone said something about FF!
    http://www.destructoid.com/forum/sho...t=10765&page=6

I don't need a title I AM Disneyworld.
    Got somethin' that might interest yeh, stranger.

On topic...

I was a latecomer to the Zelda party. I was in fifth or sixth grade when OoT came out. I'd had an NES and SNES, but never played any of the Zelda games before, but I got sucked up in the hype and had to try it. I loved it... Until I got to the Water Temple. But that didn't make me give up on the series, I knew I'd keep coming back. I got Majora's Mask, was really digging it... And then I got to its water level. Still haven't beaten it. But I haven't played it in years, I need to start a new game in it.

Despite my growing aquaphobia, I kept coming back. I was one of the few who wasn't bothered by "Celda" when it was announced, and how right I was. Wind Waker is in my top five games of all time, no lie. A huge part of that is the art style. It fits so well with the world and the story the game conveys. It still has my favorite story and characters of any Zelda game. Especially this guy. And as usual, the gameplay and music are top notch.

I finally got LttP for the GBA, and I loved that as well. Minish Cap is great (I want Vaati to be involved in the next console Zelda), and for the most part, I don't get all the TP hate (best final boss sequence in the series, in my opinion). And I did finally beat OoT a couple years ago.

In conclusion, Zelda rocks.

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    I like the Zelda series, but I feel that it is far too easy. I played the OOT, and thought it was decent. I saw a bit of Majora's Mask, and it didn't look like the game for me (Time limits freak me the fuck out. I just het so nervous.). I really got into Wind Waker, and thought the boss battles were really fun (but too easy). I played Minish Cap, and thought it was pretty good. TP was a good game, and I don't really see why people seem to dislike it so much. Phantom Hourglass was piss easy, and pretty short. That said PH was good, I suppose.

Gym Leader
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckarasu View Post
    I like the Zelda series, but I feel that it is far too easy. I played the OOT, and thought it was decent. I saw a bit of Majora's Mask, and it didn't look like the game for me (Time limits freak me the fuck out. I just get so nervous.). I really got into Wind Waker, and thought the boss battles were really fun (but too easy). I played Minish Cap, and thought it was pretty good. TP was a good game, and I don't really see why people seem to dislike it so much. Phantom Hourglass was piss easy, and pretty short. That said PH was good, I suppose.
    Are you of the mentality that every game has to have challenge to be an enjoyable experience? Does every game have to fit a standard of challenge and gameplay to be considered a good game? Part of what makes the Zelda games such an enjoyable experience is that it focuses on the adventure aspect over the challenge of combat. Majora's Mask isn't as bad as people make it out to be, you just need to do certain things in the three day period, reset to the first day, and then do different things. It plays like a completely normal game and you're never stuck doing the same thing twice.

Also, go play the Legend of Zelda or Zelda II if you want a challenge. Majora's Mask also had inventive dungeons and clever bosses.
    Spoiler!

I take it you don't like Noby Noby Boy?

I really shouldn't post on these boards when I'm so sick my vision is blurred.

I have always been a fan of the Zelda games. I never played anything past Majora's Mask though. I played the first two for NES, A Link to the Past for SNES, Link's Awakening, Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. I would have to say my favorite is A Link to the Past. Something about that game just makes me spooge everywhere.

the only one I ever playd was the minish cap, and I really liked it!
    But then there was a swamp and I didnīt know where to go anymore...

But I enjoyed playing that far!

Ah, and I played Twilight Princess on the wii that was a lot of fun! But I made a mistake and I didnīt want to do the first dungeon again.

What I noticed is that you have to walk back a lot! That kinda sucked.
    But since I didnīt play the others I wonīt judge the whole thing.

Although Iīm sure that I missed out on something!

Quote Originally Posted by Krow View Post
    Are you of the mentality that every game has to have challenge to be an enjoyable experience? Does every game have to fit a standard of challenge and gameplay to be considered a good game? Part of what makes the Zelda games such an enjoyable experience is that it focuses on the adventure aspect over the challenge of combat. Majora's Mask isn't as bad as people make it out to be, you just need to do certain things in the three day period, reset to the first day, and then do different things. It plays like a completely normal game and you're never stuck doing the same thing twice.

Also, go play the Legend of Zelda or Zelda II if you want a challenge. Majora's Mask also had inventive dungeons and clever bosses.
    Spoiler!

I take it you don't like Noby Noby Boy?

I really shouldn't post on these boards when I'm so sick my vision is blurred.
    No, I said the games are good. I just think that they are too easy, that's all.

Gym Leader
    No, I said the games are good. I just think that they are too easy, that's all.
    Right, but I'm asking how does the lack of challenge subtract from the overall experience to you? If you just said they were easy, that would be different. Instead, you're saying that they're too easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
    You could argue that lack of challenge creates monotony. After a while it gets boring effortlessly dispatching everything that gets in your way.

The ideal form of difficulty should be a game where when you're doing things right, you shouldn't be dying, but if you screw up, you should be penalized for it. Nobody is asking for Dante Must Die insane difficulty.

But a situation where you barely make it out alive with a quarter of one heart left is exciting, it's intense. But killing 5 moblins and not getting hit once is just flat out boring.
    He's pretty much correct. The games get kinda boring because they're too easy. I never really had to think too hard. The game should at least provide some sort of challenge, but they never really do.

He's pretty much correct. The games get kinda boring because they're too easy. I never really had to think too hard. The game should at least provide some sort of challenge, but they never really do.
    Don't collect heart containers or non-essential powerups. Or play Zelda 2.