Page 34 of 61 FirstFirst ... 24 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 44 ... LastLast

Thread: Nom nom, glug glug: Food & Drink Appreciation Thread

I was trying to make caramel, but didn't get it right and made dulce de leche instead. It's not particularly hard, it's basically sugar and milk, but it feels good when these things happen by accident.

[Level 5: Mech]
    To this day I cannot make myself say dulce de leche/doce de leite. I still call it "mumu".

But I guess it's common all around for people to use some famous brand name instead of the actual name.

Do people call it mumu? I didn't know that.

Yeah, but it's probably below São Paulo only. It was the most famous brand in Rio Grande do Sul, but it was also sold in Santa Catarina, Paraná, etc. As you start going north the brand starts getting rare, as is the expression.

But it's most likely heard from the older folk though, I think my generation was the last to call it "mumu". Probably.

The same happens with "Frigidaire". It was some sort of french brand or something, imported before we had popular brands of our own. Given that we were colonized mostly by europeans, it was very common to hear "Frigidaire" instead of refrigerator.

Which "brand name instead of actual name" things you guys have up north?

Also, here in Ethiopia, if you want sparkling water you have to ask for "Ambo". And for plain water you can say "Highlander" instead of wiha(which is the actual word for water, you pronounce wooha), it's actually a brand that's not even manufactured anymore, but people still call bottled water by that name.

Also also, you are probably going to remember this, Victor:

It tastes just like I remember it: sweet, watery, SWEET, and a bit like washed ass and sugar.

[Level 12: CHET]
    The german hotdog stand in town here sells cans of that!

For some reason they stopped manufacturing/distributing it in Brazil.

[Level 6: Robot]
    Does anyone remember the cans of pop(soda for amerinoobs) that had little floating sweets(candy) in and the can was clear plastic around the side?

It was this inside a clear soda can.
    Last edited by noobspoon; 10-16-2012 at 01:18 PM. Reason: found picture

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearPsycho View Post
    Yeah, but it's probably below São Paulo only. It was the most famous brand in Rio Grande do Sul, but it was also sold in Santa Catarina, Paraná, etc. As you start going north the brand starts getting rare, as is the expression.

But it's most likely heard from the older folk though, I think my generation was the last to call it "mumu". Probably.

The same happens with "Frigidaire". It was some sort of french brand or something, imported before we had popular brands of our own. Given that we were colonized mostly by europeans, it was very common to hear "Frigidaire" instead of refrigerator.

Which "brand name instead of actual name" things you guys have up north?

Also, here in Ethiopia, if you want sparkling water you have to ask for "Ambo". And for plain water you can say "Highlander" instead of wiha(which is the actual word for water, you pronounce wooha), it's actually a brand that's not even manufactured anymore, but people still call bottled water by that name.

Also also, you are probably going to remember this, Victor:

It tastes just like I remember it: sweet, watery, SWEET, and a bit like washed ass and sugar.
    I vaguely remember the bottle, but I guess I'm a lot younger than you.

Pow! Right in the kisser!
    Quote Originally Posted by noobspoon View Post
    Does anyone remember the cans of pop(soda for amerinoobs) that had little floating sweets(candy) in and the can was clear plastic around the side?

It was this inside a clear soda can.
    YES! I think I tried it once, then slipped into a deep, sugar-induced coma. It was the greatest thing ever.

A friend of mine is appearing on Come Dine with Me and they're shooting it next week. It won't air til Christmas probably but will be cool to see the person we live with on television, especially that show. Only thing is his menu is quite basic. I suppose how he pulls it off, entertains and utilises his personality will make the difference.

Someone my dad knows was on come dine with me and she asked him and his friend to be the Musical Entertainment, seeing my dad on tv was so wierd.....

Came back to find housemates had done a lot of bill sorting ect over the week so baked them some simple buns, simple because it's my first time making vegan anything (as one of them is vegan now)

The best part of that is the turtle.

It's making turtle sex noises.

What noise to turtles make during sex?

I'm having a chorizo, rice and chicken breaded 'cake' at the moment oh my orgasms!

Holy shit they're loud, also i love me some chorizo.

Wolf Master
    My wife and I got a gas grill/charcoal grill combo with a smoker attachment as a housewarming gift, and yesterday I took it for its maiden voyage.

Smoked some ribs for several hours with mesquite wood chips. I've never smoked anything before, so this was sort of a trial run. That said, I was not prepared for just how much charcoal and wood I'd end up using in order to keep the thing at temperature for as long as it needs to be. The good news is that the ribs tasted fantastic. They had deep pink smoke rings and they were super juicy. That said, they weren't as tender as I had hoped, so next time I'm going to have to smoke them for even longer, I think.

Also, by the end of it, I smelled like a campfire, basically.

I made godiva liqueur brownies for my birthday...they were amazing!

Frodo Bangins
    ... I want to go to there...