Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Auto Club: What do you drive? I want a new Supra

[Level 9: Chuck Norris]

Steam ID
    wryguy87
    Nintendo ID
    wryguy87

The Auto Club: What do you drive?

Curious. What does everyone drive? What would you LIKE to drive? I have eclectic tastes so I drive an old Saab 9-3 right now. I actually really like it. I used to have a secondary car, but see below sad story.

I'm yet to go after a brand new car. I actually have a thing for manual transmissions and I kind of like the way older stuff feels, so I'm not super tempted.

[youtube]-v_FA0cjwuo[/youtube]

But if this shit ever got released? I'd buy one as soon as humanly possible. If it were affordable. The old ones weren't so terribly expensive so you can always hope.

Saddest thing that ever happened to me car wise is probably when I picked up an MR2 Turbo for a ridiculously low price and then someone ran a red light and destroyed it on me a couple months later. My heart shattered. I made some money on that shit, though. Paid $2500, got $8000 on the insurance claim.

Last edited by Wry Guy; 01-19-2015 at 09:59 PM.

This reminded me of the car thread I made 5 years ago lol.

The only car I want to own is something electric. The Tesla S makes me happy in the nerd spot. Can't wait for something to be affordable in the future when I graduate. I want something with better software though. A good platform for apps to be developed on like Android so I can tune the car to exactly how I want it.

[Level 2: Human]
    Steam ID
    [none]
    PSN
    [none]
    XBL
    [none]
    Well TMI in my opinion but my buddy drives a BMW down the street (seems to be a growing trend there). The thing was cheaper then my wife's Kia Sorento! If i were to get my dream car, it would be a mazda rx series with the rotary engine.

Steam ID
    wryguy87
    Nintendo ID
    wryguy87
    Something that's going to be quite fascinating is Doug Demuro of Jalopnik is going to document the process of importing a 1990 Skyline GT-R from Japan. This was an actual crime last time I checked. Demuro's a fascinating guinea pig for trying stuff nobody else has the time or money for. He documented the experience of owning a Ferrari 360 last time.

http://jalopnik.com/i-m-importing-a-...pan-1680939525

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Hatman View Post

The only car I want to own is something electric. The Tesla S makes me happy in the nerd spot. Can't wait for something to be affordable in the future when I graduate. I want something with better software though. A good platform for apps to be developed on like Android so I can tune the car to exactly how I want it.
    That's the crux with Teslas is how often their software bugs out and causes problems. They're excellent cars but on some level can still be regarded as experimental. I was actually amazed when I realized how bad other electric cars are. The Chevy Volt has something like a 40 mile travel radius.

That's almost useless in a lot of scenarios. Before Saab was shut down they produced an electric car with a 125 mile range. Still bad, but at least semi-practical. Blows Chevy out of the water at least.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonM View Post
    Well TMI in my opinion but my buddy drives a BMW down the street (seems to be a growing trend there). The thing was cheaper then my wife's Kia Sorento! If i were to get my dream car, it would be a mazda rx series with the rotary engine.
    Cool cars, but you need to be careful with rotary engines. They burn oil as an inherent part of their design. Most people don't realize all the little quirks required to maintain one of those cars.

I need to learn how to drive.

[Level 1: Fresh Meat]
    I want to drive the newest mini cooper!

Fuck u, u r not a dolphin Panzadolphin56's Avatar
    Steam ID
    Panzadolphin56
    PSN
    Karatedolphin66
    XBL
    ------
    You should probably make an intro thread first, it really helps when driving.

King of Ties 'n' Gifs 'n' Shit
    Steam ID
    Mixmastaspig
    PSN
    Saffron
    Grocery getter/wifes ride/Lets drive 500km + is an 06 Suzuki Aerio
    My car (work only pretty much) is 2007 Honda Civic Si that I hav with under 35,000km....lol(or 21,748 moon miles)

I want, living within my means, a Subaru Impreza WRX but I also really want a Telsa. I like to think I am an environmentally savvy person but those Tesla cars are sexy, better than gas and cheap to 'fill up'.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonM View Post
    I am sure you know all the rotary stuff if that's the car you like but my friend bought an RX-8 about 5 years ago and he kinda wishes he never bought it, lol. Nice looking car though!!

Steam ID
    [none]
    PSN
    [none]
    XBL
    [none]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Hatman View Post

How about a car that runs on air?

http://automobiles.honda.com/mobile-low/honda-air/

Steam ID
    wryguy87
    Nintendo ID
    wryguy87
    Quote Originally Posted by Brightside View Post
    I need to learn how to drive.
    Bitch, you gonna learn how to use a clutch.

Quote Originally Posted by natalieagain View Post
    I want to drive the newest mini cooper!
    They're not exactly Mini anymore, though. I bet they feel very different from how they did before BMW bought them. They even have BMW engines in there now from what I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mix View Post
    My car (work only pretty much) is 2007 Honda Civic Si that I hav with under 35,000km....lol(or 21,748 moon miles)

I want, living within my means, a Subaru Impreza WRX but I also really want a Telsa. I like to think I am an environmentally savvy person but those Tesla cars are sexy, better than gas and cheap to 'fill up'.

I am sure you know all the rotary stuff if that's the car you like but my friend bought an RX-8 about 5 years ago and he kinda wishes he never bought it, lol. Nice looking car though!!
    It's been a long time since I heard much about Suzuki. I'm not even aware of if they're still in business. That's a ridiculously low mileage for a 2007 car. Can't say I was ever a fan of the Honda style, though. Cars that need to have their engines revved to hell to make any power can turn you into a pretty obnoxious driver. I'm a little bitter since I had to spend a lot of time driving around one of the "poor" parts of California and crappy modified Hondas are like a religion there.

[youtube]No_kbFvG_S4[/youtube]

King of Ties 'n' Gifs 'n' Shit
    Steam ID
    Mixmastaspig
    PSN
    Saffron
    The Suzuki has, I think, 140,000km on it and it has been awesome too us. We picked it up when it had around 13,000 and we have had absolutely nothing go wrong with it.

Lol, Yeah I have summer rims and a stereo and that is it but even here Honda's are bad for looking like a Fast and Furious movie. I actually had my first car stereo ready to go before I bought my first car, lol. Garage sale finds FTW!

Vtec is fun but you do have to rev the crap out of it as anything under 6k is like 120hp I think bu then SHABOOM, lighting sparks out of your engine and you fly back and hit your seat as the 199hp comes ripping out while the chick next to you becomes over aroused and ready for some sexin (or guy, #whateverfloatsboat)

[Level 6: Robot]
    Steam ID
    [none]
    Nintendo ID
    Scield
    PSN
    Scield
    XBL
    Scield
    I drive a 2009 VW Routan- kinda like this one: 2009-Volkswagen-Routan-966899-1-sm.jpg

Eh. it's a minivan. My first car was a 1999 Chevy Camaro. It was like this one, same color and everything: 1999_chevrolet_camaro_28254345.jpg

I had to sell it when we had our son. I loved that thing. I'd really like a European car now. Audi, Volvo, something like that. And I would love to have a manual transmission again.

Steam ID
    [none]
    PSN
    [none]
    XBL
    [none]
    Quote Originally Posted by Mix View Post

Yea the Rotary stuff would just be for showroom, after I got the winning lotto ticket of course.

Steam ID
    [none]
    PSN
    [none]
    XBL
    [none]

Steam ID
    [none]
    PSN
    [none]
    XBL
    [none]
    Here's what I drive: http://i.imgur.com/GFWBkrr.jpg

An IS200. It's pretty good. Nice smooth engine and a nice gearbox. I've been having some trouble with it lately, with steering wheel judder while braking. I have had the front discs and pads replaced about half a year ago so it can't be them. Might be the rear brakes, but I don't really know.

I would absolutely love a mk.4 Supra though. Pretty much my dream car, that's somewhat reasonable at least. If I could pick anything I'd go for a TVR.

Steam ID
    [none]
    PSN
    [none]
    XBL
    [none]
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrustle View Post
    Here's what I drive: http://i.imgur.com/GFWBkrr.jpg

An IS200. It's pretty good. Nice smooth engine and a nice gearbox. I've been having some trouble with it lately, with steering wheel judder while braking. I have had the front discs and pads replaced about half a year ago so it can't be them. Might be the rear brakes, but I don't really know.

I would absolutely love a mk.4 Supra though. Pretty much my dream car, that's somewhat reasonable at least. If I could pick anything I'd go for a TVR.
    They are prolly disc brakes, The Kia LX does that to me too but theres nothing wrong with it. Someone told me its cause they are all wheel discs.

Steam ID
    [none]
    PSN
    [none]
    XBL
    [none]
    Yeah I booked in my car for a service, and the garage said that it was probably warped discs again. It's really unusual because the discs are pretty new. They even said there's only been one other occasion in the past 25 years of them running the garage that a Lexus part was faulty like that, if that is the problem. I can't think of any way it could be my fault though. I haven't done anything unusual. Just commuting. It's not like I'm hooning around country roads or anything. I'm not aware of any situation where I could have locked up the brakes either. I've never even felt the ABS kick in.

Steam ID
    wryguy87
    Nintendo ID
    wryguy87
    Lexus is pretty much the grand king of vehicle reliability so that is odd. They're more expensive but there's literally not another car brand that will last you longer through ownership. Being disc brakes isn't anything special considering every single brake out there is a disc brake. The concept of bringing back drum brakes is relatively recent and an incredible attempt at cheap skating on behalf of any manufacturer. It's more them trying to save money on building the car than trying to save you money on the purchase.

There's two schools of thoughts for breaking in brakes. 200 miles of stop and go city traffic, which is probably the ideal method. The performance method some people swear by is gunning the car to 60 miles an hour and slamming the brakes to a dead stop repeatedly.

Considering how different the two methods are it's kind of hard to mess up wearing in the brakes.

It's probably your pads that are messing things up somehow. If you end up replacing them you could consider going for performance grade ones. This is assuming you don't mind noise and dust. The pedal also doesn't bite as hard right away when panic stopping. The trade off is the brakes aren't an instant on-off switch. You can modulate and feel the pedal, plus the pads can take more heat and not fade during a really hard stop.

Steam ID
    [none]
    PSN
    [none]
    XBL
    [none]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wry Guy View Post
    Lexus is pretty much the grand king of vehicle reliability so that is odd. They're more expensive but there's literally not another car brand that will last you longer through ownership. Being disc brakes isn't anything special considering every single brake out there is a disc brake. The concept of bringing back drum brakes is relatively recent and an incredible attempt at cheap skating on behalf of any manufacturer. It's more them trying to save money on building the car than trying to save you money on the purchase.

There's two schools of thoughts for breaking in brakes. 200 miles of stop and go city traffic, which is probably the ideal method. The performance method some people swear by is gunning the car to 60 miles an hour and slamming the brakes to a dead stop repeatedly.

Considering how different the two methods are it's kind of hard to mess up wearing in the brakes.

It's probably your pads that are messing things up somehow. If you end up replacing them you could consider going for performance grade ones. This is assuming you don't mind noise and dust. The pedal also doesn't bite as hard right away when panic stopping. The trade off is the brakes aren't an instant on-off switch. You can modulate and feel the pedal, plus the pads can take more heat and not fade during a really hard stop.
    Meaning get metallic brake pads rather then organic? Im no mechanic by far but it makes sense to me.

Steam ID
    wryguy87
    Nintendo ID
    wryguy87
    It depends on what you're going for. Organic won't make noise (metal on metal = noise), won't produce dust on your tires (my tires get incredibly dirty and I don't bother to clean it), and they bite faster in cold weather.

It's what the average person is going to prefer. Performance brakes can handle a lot more stress and have more of a pedal feel so you can gradually adjust how hard you're going on the brakes. Like going around a corner you can apply more or less at different points of the curve and really feel it. Since they don't bite as fast when cold it's also not as jerky in regular traffic. They don't really kick in hard until you need them.
    Last edited by Wry Guy; 01-27-2015 at 02:39 AM.