Page 1 of 22 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Any of the Destructoid crew into electronic muisic?

Any of the Destructoid crew into electronic muisic?

Just wondering if any of you all are into the various kinds of electronic music out there, and I guess more specifically house, trance, and techno.

I've been spinning records for a little over a decade now, and play out a fair bit around here (Chicago/Milwaukee etc.), and I'm primarily a house and techno guy. Probably the biggest "name" as far as influences of mine that the general populous would know is Sasha, but I'm also a huge fan of Danny Howells, Luke Fair, Lee Burridge, Sven Vath, James Zabiela and Nic Faniulli, and I'm getting the chance to open for one of my all time heroes, Funk D'Void, coming up this June 22nd.

So any of you all into EDM? Who are your favorites to see live or just to listen to at home?

:

Edit 2/5/09: link to mix archive http://arrjaytea.wordpress.com

[Level 6: Robot]
    I've tried getting into it, but never had that many recommendations. Saint's Row and Crackdown have some good stuff to listen to in the cars usually, but I've never downloaded anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kif
    I've tried getting into it, but never had that many recommendations. Saint's Row and Crackdown have some good stuff to listen to in the cars usually, but I've never downloaded anything.
    Well, if you'd like to give something a listen, here's a link to my latest promotional mix:

http://iceadvanced.net/mixes/Rob_Tur..._Promo_Mix.mp3

Should be able to just right click and "save-as." It's an 80 minute set, but if you'd like to break it up I'd be happy to write a CUE file for you.

And a tracklist:

01. Forteba - Perfect Present (Original Mix)
    02. DJ Floy - Africa to Paradise (Logan Data Spirit Mix / RJT Edit)
    03. Metope - Kobox (Ada Mix / RJT Edit)
    04. Koop feat. Yuji Nagano - I See A Different You (Beanfield Mix / RJT Edit)
    05. Sascha Funke - I Love This Tent (RJT Rework)
    06. The Oval Five Project - Vertigo (Doi-ong vs. Spooky Thumper Mix)
    07. Satoshi Fumi - Sign (Original Mix)
    08. Musex - Consolador De Trapo (Original Mix / RJT Edit)
    09. Spooky - New Light (Spooky Diffracted Dub / RJT Edit)
    10. Moby - Go (Woodtick Mix / RJT Edit)
    11. Sian - Stegosaurus (Original Mix / RJT Edit)
    12. Mat Zo - Foot & Mouth (RJT "Ground Up" Rework)
    13. Agnes - I'm Hard to That (Original Mix / RJT Edit)
    14. Joris Voorn - Minor (Original Mix)
    15. Michel de Hey & Grooveyard - Compound (Peter Horevortz Mix)

Not trying to force anything on you at all, so by all means if it's just not your thing don't worry about it - but I thought I'd offer up a little of something I do to the DToid crew if they'd like it.

/spam

I've been trying to teach myself a little more about IDM lately, but I like more ambient/experimental stuff.

It's probably cliche, (though, my excuse is I've never picked them up before), but I've been enjoying Boards of Canada quite a bit. A friend also got me into Add N to (X), which is really great experimental electronic music all done on analogue synths.

[Level 5: Mech]
    The most electronic stuff I've ever listened to was Crystal Method and I've always enjoyed it, but I don't have any friends that are really into it that much so I haven't branched out and looked for new stuff, so I'll definitely check out some of the stuff you posted RJT.

Quote Originally Posted by grrza
    I've been trying to teach myself a little more about IDM lately, but I like more ambient/experimental stuff.

It's probably cliche, (though, my excuse is I've never picked them up before), but I've been enjoying Boards of Canada quite a bit. A friend also got me into Add N to (X), which is really great experimental electronic music all done on analogue synths.
    Nah, BOC are great for sure - Have listened to much Telefon Tel Aviv? They might be something you'd enjoy as well - alongside classic IDM stuff like Aphex Twin.

You might also like some Petter or the newer stuff James Holden has put out - his Balance 005 disc is an all time classic as well.

Easy enough to find the promo rips that art floating around out there, and they're perfectly good quality if you don't mind hearing "Promotional Copy" every 20 minutes or so (like 3-4 times per disc).

[Level 1: Fresh Meat]
    Lately, I've been listening to Galen Behr, and just most of the standard fare Trance stuff out there. Honestly though, I'd recommend ASOT (A State of Trance, in case you didn't know), which comes out every week and has a slew of excellent trance records. The "Global Gathering" is another event that have in the U.K that also has some great songs, and always has a bootlegged copy on the internet, though this happens only once a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Variety
    Lately, I've been listening to Galen Behr, and just most of the standard fare Trance stuff out there. Honestly though, I'd recommend ASOT (A State of Trance, in case you didn't know), which comes out every week and has a slew of excellent trance records. The "Global Gathering" is another event that have in the U.K that also has some great songs, and always has a bootlegged copy on the internet, though this happens only once a year.
    Lol - I have a copy of Armin van Buuren - Blue Fear, on a limited edition blue vinyl, hanging on my wall over my decks

I really don't care for most of what he does now - the uplifting trance stuff isn't really my thing, I was more into the 1999 Oakenfold Essential Mix World Tour sound of trance, and the new stuff just doesn't do it for me so much. Really glad to see Blake Jarrell doing so well with Armada though - he's a good friend.

And GG is a great event - there are a ton of stellar festivals in Europe every summer

[Level 3: Humanoid]
    i not consider myself a raver but i like to go to raves.. a week ago infected mushroom was im my town and it was a cool show..

here in my town we have Nortec (from the combination of "norteņo" and "techno") is an electronic musical genre from Tijuana (a border city in Baja California, Mexico) that first gained popularity in the 2001. Nortec music is characterized by hard dance beats and samples from traditional forms of Mexican music such as Banda sinaloense and Norteņo - unmistakably Mexican horns are often used.

some examples are : Bostich ,Fussible, Panoptica, Hiperboreal...
    and all this set travel around the globe whit the name of Nortec Collective.......

here the website if you wanna hear some samples..

http://www.nor-tec.org/

Quote Originally Posted by YONKE
    here the website if you wanna hear some samples..

http://www.nor-tec.org/
    Very nice, will definitely check it out, and thanks for the Link!

I've heard IM's shows are sick, but have never seen them. I'm not a huge psytrance fan.

One show I'm really, REALLY looking forward to this summer is Daft Punk - I've never seen them, but heard nothing but unreal things.

[Level 3: Humanoid]
    dude i also looking forward to daft punk theres no song i dont like from them..... hope someday they play in Tijuana or at least in Southern California......

Quote Originally Posted by YONKE
    dude i also looking forward to daft punk theres no song i dont like from them..... hope someday they play in Tijuana or at least in Southern California......
    They've been at Coachella the last two years

Edit: Also, 7/21 in L.A - so you could see them in July!

Recap King
    speedcore, happy hardcore, drum and bass, trance, it's all great

a few of my preferred groups:
    prodigy (i speed up their music though, by 1.3-1.4 times), astrix, juno reactor, astral projection, pendulum, m1dy, crystal method is alright... i need to find some more though... i like anything as long as its fast. preferrably with cool voice sample from old cult classics :wink:

Quote Originally Posted by RJT
    Quote Originally Posted by Kif
    tl;dr + linkage
    Woah, thanks for this. I'll be checking out these tomorrow when I wake up probably.

I enjoy electronic music a lot, just donīt know anything about it.
    Some good friends know a lot and recomend me some setīs so i can download em.
    Lately i have been hearing to Johhn Digweed and John B.
    Specially this set: John Digweed - La Dune, Toulouse 25-02-2006.
    When iīm in the mood for some downloading i go to: http://www.mercuryserver.com

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    i love the electronic as well, but i like pretty much anything.

my fav's of the moment are Infected Mushroom, Cascada and Shpongle... DJ Scott Brown is awesome too.

I used to love lionrock,doormouse,frankie bones,underworld but thats when i was heavy into shrooms and herb not anymore you have to be sober to be a good father so i have no use for electronic music anymore.

Recap King
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdopefish

my fav's of the moment are Infected Mushroom, Cascada and Shpongle... DJ Scott Brown is awesome too.
    infected mushroom, 'tis good stuff, no?

[Level 5: Mech]

vnv nation, the faint, and broken spindles are some good electronicy stuff. broken spindles is half electronic songs half piano solo songs but good none the less. the faint is electronic with a lil bit of punkish influence to it. vnv nation is some pretty good gothish techno check out the song dark angel. also possibly check out shiny toy guns.

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    Quote Originally Posted by -the_mole-
    Quote Originally Posted by tehdopefish

infected mushroom, 'tis good stuff, no?

"Tis," Replied Aunt Helga, "Tis."