Page 811 of 1013 FirstFirst ... 311 711 761 801 807 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 821 861 911 ... LastLast
Results 16,201 to 16,220 of 20244

Thread: Let's play Werewolf on the forums!

Wolf Master
    Here are the votes!

Proposal 4.1, proposed by Flamoctapus: djnealb, Flamoctapus, ZombiePlatypus, Artful-dodgeR, Analoge
    djnealb - FOR
    Byronic Man - AGAINST
    noobspoon - FOR
    Flamoctapus - FOR
    ZombiePlatypus - FOR
    Muckfoot - AGAINST
    Artful-dodgeR - FOR
    Analoge - FOR

After two failed attempts at taking out a reactor, AVALANCHE decided to escalate the stakes. Rather than just hit one of the eight reactors surrounding Midgar, they would go for the heart of the Shin-Ra Corporation: the building that stood at the center of the city, reminding all of Midgar's citizens who was in charge. Back on the team from the first successful mission, djnealb would resume his role as bombmaker, this time making a more impressive explosive than ever before. ZombiePlatypus, after having warmed the security guard's icy heart (and loins?), has convinced her to leave her post at Reactor #8 to help distract security at Shin-Ra HQ. Analoge would once again bring her hacking toolkit along, to gain access to the elevators leading to the top floors of the building. Artful-dodgeR, the new blood on the team, would have the relatively simple task of hitting the detonator once everything was in place. Flamoctapus, as team leader, would be directing the operation from the nondescript truck outside, ready to swoop in if any part of the plan were to go awry.

djnealb, Flamoctapus, ZombiePlatypus, Artful-dodgeR, Analoge: send me a PM whether you would like the mission to PASS or FAIL. Unlike the voting for the teams, it will not be revealed who submitted which result. Remember, Resistance members must submit a PASS, while Spies may choose to submit a PASS or a FAIL.

Wolf Master
    Everything was in place. Now was the time to let the well laid plans come to fruition.

In the truck outside the Shin-Ra headquarters, the team waited to see ZombiePlatypus roll up with his new girlfriend. As they went in through the front door, ZombiePlatypus gave the signal that he would have security busy in three minutes.

The small team of infiltrators popped open an air vent, and crawled into the complex through it. Upon reaching a data terminal, Analoge broke out her hacking toolkit, and immediately got started bringing the elevators into her control. When the elevators reached them, djnealb climbed on top of one to go to the top floor. Artful-dodgeR slinked past to find an area with better signal for the detonator.

"Charges placed!" reported djnealb. "All right, people," said Flamoctapus, "Let's do what we came here to do. Artful, hit the detonator."

"Artful, hit the detonator!"

"No. You terrorists sicken me. I will not destroy the one thing that is protecting this city from chaos," was all that came back on the radio. After that, silence.

"Well, it's a good thing for me and a bad thing for you that I knew we had a traitor among us. I brought a backup detonator," said Flamoctapus, pushing the button he had kept secret until then.

A furious boom could be heard, but something wasn't right. It didn't seem loud enough, for what it was meant to do. No fires could be seen. The ground didn't shake. At least, not immediately. After the explosion, a shrill lurching sound of metal grinding against metal could be heard in the distance, and then an enormous crash that shook the entire city could be heard and felt.

Then, another voice came on the radio. "Congratulations, terrorist. You just bombed the pillar holding the plate above Sector 7 up. That plate just flattened an entire district, and we have all of the evidence that you pushed the button. Your friends are dead, and you're going to be locked up for a very long time." And with that, djnealb threw his radio down the elevator shaft.

Game over, Spies win!

Beast Master
    At least I have that security lady to vouch for me. I'm sure I'll get off easy.

Wolf Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ZombiePlatypus View Post
    I'm sure I'll get off easy.
    YEAH YOU WILL.

Beast Master
    Awwwwww yeah, HIGH FIVE!

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    LONG LIVE SHIN-RA!

I wanted to say that as soon as the mission was confirmed since Artful was on my team, but I didn't want to take the risk.

[Level 6: Robot]
    Hail to the king baby.

I have to say that this *could've* gone so much worse... When noob and I were confirmed for the 4.1 mission I was all YAY WE WIN... then spuddenly potato, out went noob. And was replaced by another spy, puppy

THANKS FLOOMTACOS!

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Great game, well played spies.

The rest of you suck.

Wolf Master
    So, if it's not apparent from the flavor text above, the submissions were PASS, PASS, PASS, FAIL, FAIL.

Your three Spies were djnealb, noobspoon, and Artful-dodgeR.

In general, when new players play The Resistance, the Resistance members lose and the Spies win, and this is a good example of it. When we started, I mentioned that one of the most powerful tools a Resistance member has is an AGAINST vote. Consider this last mission.

Proposal 4.1, proposed by Flamoctapus: djnealb, Flamoctapus, ZombiePlatypus, Artful-dodgeR, Analoge
    djnealb - FOR
    Byronic Man - AGAINST
    noobspoon - FOR
    Flamoctapus - FOR
    ZombiePlatypus - FOR
    Muckfoot - AGAINST
    Artful-dodgeR - FOR
    Analoge - FOR

djnealb was on the mission team proposed, so it makes sense that he would vote FOR
    Flamoctapus was on the mission team proposed, so it makes sense that he would vote FOR
    ZombiePlatypus was on the mission team proposed, so it makes sense that he would vote FOR
    Artful-dodgeR was on the mission team proposed, so it makes sense that he would vote FOR
    Analoge was on the mission team proposed, so it makes sense that she would vote FOR
    noobspoon was NOT on the mission team proposed, for him to vote FOR the team means that either he's a Resistance member, and he thinks that there is only one Spy on the team, OR that he's a Spy and he wants the team to go forward.

The point is, if more Resistance members had voted AGAINST, they could have caught that detail and asked noobspoon why he would be for a team that didn't include him.

Looking back to Mission Proposal 3.1, there is even more evidence that didn't get utilized to its fullest.

Proposal 3.1, proposed by noobspoon: noobspoon, ZombiePlatypus, Muckfoot, Analoge
    djnealb - FOR
    Byronic Man - AGAINST
    noobspoon - FOR
    Flamoctapus - AGAINST
    ZombiePlatypus - FOR
    Muckfoot - AGAINST
    Artful-dodgeR - FOR
    Analoge - FOR

djnealb and Artful-dodgeR both voted FOR a team that they were not included on, which would mean that either they were Resistance members who think that the four people proposed are exactly the other four Resistance members (which could not be possible for both of them) or that they were Spies trying to push forward a team that would end up failing. The fact that it did fail could have brought people's attention not only to the players ON the team, but also to the people OFF the team who gave it the go-ahead.

It's for this reason that I require everybody to vote on a team, even the person who proposed it. It is not uncommon with more experienced players to propose a team yourself and vote it down, just to gain information on how others vote on that team. What's actually most telling when I play this with new people is when they ask, "Why would I vote against the team I proposed?" it is usually a sign of a Spy, because a Spy knows exactly what he's doing when he proposes a team, while a Resistance member is much less knowledgeable and thus has every reason to vote down his own proposal.

It's also not uncommon to have 20-25 votes in a game, rather than the meager 4 we had this time. Again, I chalk that up to general inexperience of the group. If you guys are interested enough, I could run another one of these, but if people would rather switch back to standard Werewolf, I'd be fine with that.

All in all, it was a good first run. Congrats Spies on your relatively easy win. Special congrats to the Spies on Mission 2, who telegraphed and presumably understood a hint for which person should FAIL the mission.

Yeah, major props to noob for catching my hint on the second mission that I wanted him to vote PASS on the mission while I FAILed it. The real reason why I voted against that mission was that I was worried about having 2 spies on the same team. Had there been two FAILs on that mission, this game could have potentially ended very differently.

It's because we're the best spies.

I'm down for playing another game of Resistance, but maybe have it be the first team to 5 points wins.

Wolf Master
    There's actually a pretty delicate mathematical balance to it all. Not only would I not really know how many people to send on which missions if we upped it to best five of nine, but I'd also think that would benefit the Resistance hugely, with so much more data to comb through. Also, at five missions, that still maxes out at 25 total vote cycles, where 9 missions would be 45, or potentially ten times longer than this game took.

What I would be amenable to doing is introducing the Plot Cards (which are also included in the game--seriously, if you like this idea you should buy the game; it's relatively inexpensive). What they do is give extra avenues for gaining information and taking power. In general, they make the game easier for the Resistance, but not hugely so, and not always.

Good job by the Spies, I figured noobspoon and Artful but djneal completely evaded my suspicions. It's an enjoyable game, I'm definitely up for another.

What was the hint you dropped for noobspoon, djneal?

Beast Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Byronic Man View Post
    Good job by the Spies, I figured noobspoon and Artful but djneal completely evaded my suspicions.
    I thought you figured me?

[Level 8: Skynet]
    I think it was DJ voting against the second mission, that seemed to be the signal. I didn't notice this at all, they seriously beat our resistance asses.

I'd be up for another game, if only to see one last longer than four missions!

Told you I wasn't a spy. I'll play another of whatever.

Wolf Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Byronic Man View Post
    Good job by the Spies, I figured noobspoon and Artful but djneal completely evaded my suspicions. It's an enjoyable game, I'm definitely up for another.

What was the hint you dropped for noobspoon, djneal?
    Before going on the mission, djnealb wrote something like, "Remember, guys, failure is not an option!" As in, "Hey noobspoon, submitting a FAIL is not an option!" I didn't even really notice it until djnealb pointed it out to me. And I even knew who the Spies were.

Hell I was a spy and I missed that. Bloody clever.

Would definitely be up for another game! Part of me also wants to host, not only for the experience but because it gives you a turn at it Dex.

Quote Originally Posted by ZombiePlatypus View Post
    I thought you figured me?
    Aye you were one of my prime suspects.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter345 View Post
    Before going on the mission, djnealb wrote something like, "Remember, guys, failure is not an option!" As in, "Hey noobspoon, submitting a FAIL is not an option!" I didn't even really notice it until djnealb pointed it out to me. And I even knew who the Spies were.
    Very clever! i didn't notice at all.