Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hello Dtoid [Beware My Overuse Of The Word, .. Community =p]

[Level 2: Human]

dtoiddisco Hello Dtoid [Beware My Overuse Of The Word, .. Community =p]

Hey there all, sorry for the confusion about who I am and what I'm all about.
    Please allow me to try and explain.

First off, I'm sure you're wondering, "WTF is a Foom?!"
    Well, the name comes from a couple things.

One is for my cat who passed away last year, he was one of my best buds, had been with me through many moves, relationships, deaths in the family, and so on.
    His name was Mufassa "Moof" for short. I used to call him by "FOOOM!" [moof backwards].
    After he passed I took on the name [gamer tag, forum name, etc] as a way to honor him, and inspire me.

As well, Foom is commonly used in comic books as an explosion "sound" effect. I first fell in love with the FOOM! in an early Garfield comic that used it for an exploding volcano.
    So I guess .. in short FOOM means a lot to me, but simply .. I guess it's love, inspiration, and .. err .. explosions =p
    That and it's just fun to say.

I've had a passion for games since I was 8 years old and got my 1'st Atari 2600 as a gift, and it has never slowed down.

I've ran forums, e-feds, gaming communities and so on the past six years and have really been trying to take this to the next level.
    I have so much love for this "hobby", it's people, the industry in general, and of course the games themselves.

I just couldn't imagine doing anything else.

The biggest part of this to me is community.
    I LOVE trying to tie gaming groups together, bring people into a spot where they feel comfortable, can make friends and are around like minded people.
    I just feel like "we're all in the same gang" and want to push that as hard as I can.

I am an artist at heart, I do illustration, web & GFX design, tattoos, vids, and anything else "art" I can get my hands on.
    I thought of making a career out of this, but I found out I don't like the pressure, to me art is my escape and I don't want that tarnished.

Recently I have found my true love and passion ... internet broadcasting and entertaining.
    I started on JTV/TTV about 3 years ago broadcasting games for a crowd of around 7 people or so at a time.
    Since then, my channel has really grown as a gaming family of sorts.

I don't have the biggest numbers, but I swear we have more "community" than a lot of the bigger channels out there.
    I am VERY deeply involved in trying to bring a lot of these awesome broadcasters together by showing other channels clips then linking people to said channels, promoting and visiting other people in the JTV/TTV community and just overall networking. You can find me all over JTV/TTV at pretty much all hours of the day.

Last year I got my first break in becoming a member of GameOn [a large group of broadcasters all in the same spot run by "Swiftor"] and that really did a lot to push what I'm doing. Since then I've met a TON of great people in the JTV/TTV "clan" [Man Vs Game, GQ, Towlliee, Carnage, and so on], gone to PAX a couple times, and overall have had a great time doing this, and have become sure this is what I want to do.

As well, I have been a LONG time fan of Destructoid, it's style, it's people, and it's overall view toward gaming culture.
    I RARELY these days go anywhere else for my gaming news, .. after Dtoid it all feels so ... sterile.
    So when I found out Dtoid had a live show on JTV/TTV my interest was through the roof.
    After hanging out in the channel for a while, Carnage and Pico had not only become a couple of my favorite people to watch, they also starting becoming friends.

This PAX-E I made it on of my top priorities to meet up with these two people in person.

We met up, they gave me free drink passes, and from there it was nothing but love =p
    After finding out that Dtoid and the Dtoid show on JTV/TTV where also VERY heavy on community I started talking with Carnage more and eventually asked about become a small part of the team. I wanted to bring what I do, to what Dtoid does and strengthen the bond between the large group of people at both places.

So now, here we are.

I now broadcast at www.twitch.tv/destructoid 5 days a week after Mash Tactics and couldn't be more excited to even be a tiny part of the Dtoid experience.
    This is HUGE to me and I really want to do all I can to take this awesome opportunity and make the most of it. I'm already trying to tie things together by promoting this forum and Dtoid like a madman, and have no intentions on slowing down anytime soon, if anything, I'm more fired up and hopeful than ever.

Sorry for not posting something sooner, it's just been a mind-blowing week.

Some other loves of mine include my wife [we've been together 14 years] GWAR concerts [I've been to 17 shows], beer!!!, & animals [6 cats, 1 dog, 1 iguana]
    That's a short list of course =p

I know this wall o' text is kind of a cluster fuck and I'm sure I've left about 8 million things unanswered, but I'm a very approachable guy and will gladly answer any [ok, most] questions you might have about myself.

So wow, ok, in closing I am very excited to be here at Dtoid, to meet new people, friends and gamer's.
    Thanks for having me, it's an absolute honor.

MATRiX
    SO. MUCH. FOOM.

Welcome, babyy. I love you.

Fin Sahrot Dovahkodaav
    Welcome!
    I'm sure we'll find a new meaning for the word Foom.

Garfield strikes again.

THE MR.E BIRD
    I heard we were overusing Community in this thread.

You sound like a cool guy with a passion for what he does, glad to have you representing Destructoid and here on the forums. Welcome!

Too long, didn't read. Still love you.

Wow, that's a lot of Community

[Level 2: Human]

@Aurain - Thanks! It's Great to be here!

@M47R1X - I love you too baby, now bend over?

@TurboKill - I'm sure you will =p And damn Garfield WTF happened to you?!

@Tarvu - That's a hell of a lot of community 0_o .. and thanks!

@Victor - Fair enough, lol, and I love you too!

@Panzadolphin56 - It sure as hell is, more than I could have ever imagined!

Thanks for the responses, glad to be here and hope to see you all around!

MATRiX
    Whenever you're ready, baby.

Californiasby

We're gonna fuck.

Frodo Bangins
    ^^^

Welcome to the Forums..... Foom is what I call my semen.

11. 10-09-2011, 07:55 AM
    Reason
    Frodo Bangins

THE MR.E BIRD
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gobbldigook View Post
    ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gobbldigook View Post
    ^^^

So true he said it twice.

Frodo Bangins
    stupid computer freezing up and me being impatient.

Frodo Bangins
    Bumping this cause this guy was cool shit and I hope he comes back. If he does don't be dicks he's a good dude.

THE MR.E BIRD
    Prolly too busy doing whatever it is he does.

Beast Master
    Don't tell me what I can't do, Sam.

I missed this the first time around, so here is a picture:

I think he does livestreams on twitch, I've seen the name pop up before.

Frodo Bangins
    Prolly.

Bringer of Truth
    He does.

Dude, glad you signed up! I'm John from Sunday night, Mr. Gobbldigook is Sam. Conor = Jon Bloodspray, if you met him Jake (the buff duuu-uuude) is N7, Joe = Daze, fuck I'm having a hard time remembering who all was there all night haha

THE MR.E BIRD
    He hasn't even been signed into the forums in like half a year.

Bringer of Truth
    Yep. We were all talking and he told us he had checked it out before but didn't stick around much and promised us he'd come check it out. He's a better person like that.