Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: RAGE

[Level 2: Human]

Quote Originally Posted by Arch649 View Post
    I'm having a blast with it. It's an old-school shooter with some driving in it. If you're not into those than you're not going to enjoy it. But I do, and I am.
    ^ This. I'm enjoying it too. Shooting is great, driving is decent, it's obviously very pretty, and the spider bots are so damn much fun.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    How's the multiplayer going? I haven't found much information about it...

Does anyone have the PC version? I heard it is broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Max- View Post
    But hey, reviews are dumb right? How many of you folks are getting it/hyped?!
    I suppose they are... Hence why i have written one. (partgamepartpointless.blogspot.com) I Really enjoyed this game and throughout my play-through it consistently suprised me that it hadn't been hyped up a little more (in the UK at least). Just wondering if you guys agree with my analysis of it or not.

I was thinking about getting this game because I love a good couch co-op. The reviews I've read or heard so far have been so-so. How's the split screen?

[Level 5: Mech]
    Split in the middle.

I just started playing on my PS3 about an hour ago, and from the moment I stepped out into the wasteland, my first reaction was "Screw you, John Carmack". All around me I'm seeing horendous amounts of texture blur. If I look at said blurred textures for about two seconds they scale up to the appropriate res. And this isn't an every-now-and-then issue. It happens constantly.

Are there any patches to fix the textures for the PS3 yet? I've been scouring the the interweb for info, but to no avail.

GAMEPLAY TIP: When you visit the Dead City for Defibrillator parts, load up on wing sticks and bandages. The wing sticks are stone destruction on man-sized targets, you can save your ammo for the medium sized stuff. When you meet the giant cyber-mutant and get the rocket launcher, whenever he gets mad and shows his blue rock head part, Hit him with a rocket. Nothing else affects him.SAve afterwards and continue fighting. Use as many bandages as you can, and continue trying to make him mad. 2-3 rocket hits to the aforementioned area will kill. SAve after each hit and when defeat him, too.

I give this game an 8.75 out of ten, only because it does not have the 'Fast Travel' of Fallout 3. If you like Fallout: BOS, FAllout Three, FAllout: New Vegas, MAd Max, roadkill(PS2), and/or Dinocrisis 2(PS1); you'll like this game. I like the aforementioned and I like this game, too

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    I beat the game a little over a month ago. I remember the final level was kind of a let down. By that point I had so many Advanced Wingsticks that I was killing just about everything with pretty much only those.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-trophies-leak

So, too little too late? Or better late than never?

[Level 3: Humanoid] arglactable's Avatar
    Haha. Wow. I forgot that game existed. I'll probably buy this DLC, because RAGE was plenty fun.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    This almost matches Bram Stoker's Dracula for the Sega Genesis in games I most regret buying.

[Level 1: Fresh Meat]
    Game has lowkey become a massive sleeper hit for online co op play.

This? This right here? This is why I don't venture into the forums. Mr Andy Dixon's Avatar
    I enjoyed the shooting aspects of Rage quite a lot. The driving bits, not so much. All in all, it was a perfectly competent game, it just didn't know what it wanted to be. I'd love to play a game set in the same world but in the form of a linear shooter.

Anyway, I'd pick up the DLC if it's like $5...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh god that's funny!

Remember when DLC used to be $5?!

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    Wait, there was DLC?

I'm in the second hub base and every time I play, it get to the driving part and loose complete interest in it.

RAGE was a solid Id game by Id. You go into a place with guns. You shoot things with those guns. The shotgun was extremely satisfying. I really don't know what people were expecting aside from that. Well, yeah I do. Based on descriptions of the game as "Borderlands or Fallout 3 minus the fun," despite the fact that everything that RAGE was actually trying to do (shooting things in the face and driving), it did significantly better than either of those games (to be fair, in Fallout's case, that is partially because there is no driving). I really don't think it would have been better with the original BL's boring loot system, horrible over-reliance of giving enemies shit tons of HP later in the game, average-ish shooting, awful vehicle control, etc. At no point in RAGE would it ever take more than one shot to kill someone at point blank with a shotgun, unless they were one of those awesome, giant mutant bastards.

This? This right here? This is why I don't venture into the forums. Mr Andy Dixon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Watermanx View Post
    Wait, there was DLC?
    Scroll up

Quote Originally Posted by arglactable View Post
    RAGE was a solid Id game by Id. You go into a place with guns. You shoot things with those guns. The shotgun was extremely satisfying. I really don't know what people were expecting aside from that. Well, yeah I do. Based on descriptions of the game as "Borderlands or Fallout 3 minus the fun," despite the fact that everything that RAGE was actually trying to do (shooting things in the face and driving), it did significantly better than either of those games (to be fair, in Fallout's case, that is partially because there is no driving). I really don't think it would have been better with the original BL's boring loot system, horrible over-reliance of giving enemies shit tons of HP later in the game, average-ish shooting, awful vehicle control, etc. At no point in RAGE would it ever take more than one shot to kill someone at point blank with a shotgun, unless they were one of those awesome, giant mutant bastards.
    I loved the shooting -- some of the most solid of this gen -- and the weapons were all very satisfying. (Especially the multiple ammo types for the shotgun.) And the enemies were badass and very fun to kill. But even though the driving was competent, it wasn't ever fun, and getting from one mission to the next in the near-empty, boring-ass wasteland was always dreadful. That's why I was disappointed.

I never wanted Rage to be BL or FO, I just wanted it to focus on its strengths and trim the fat. Like I said, it would have been great as a linear shooter, where the uninspired fetch quests and driving sequences were replaced with a few more boss battles (instead of just the one) and an ending that wasn't just "stand here and shoot the lamest enemies in the game while these lasers do things".

TL;DR - I still liked Rage; I just didn't love it.

Yeah, that's fair. Most complaints about that game seem to gloss over the fact the actual FPS mechanics were bad-ass and polished in favor of comparing it to games they just should not have been comparing it to. And, despite the lackluster driving, I still found the vehicles in RAGE more enjoyable and responsive than the vehicles in either of the Borderlands games. I can see why they tried for the direction they did with connecting the various dungeons in the context of an over world, but you're right: any of that travel time was time that could have instead been spent blowing the fuck out of some mutants. Id is awesome at corridor shooters and I think they are simply at their best when they stick to that core level design framework.

I picked it up for $5 during the Thanksgiving Steam sale. It's a fun Id game but I agree, the driving parts don't really add any fun. The mechanics work fine and all, but running out of ammo makes it a lot less fun. I haven't finished it or gotten very far really but I can't understand why they're even bothering with DLC now. The game didn't sell well at all.

The bosses were great, though, and the enemey AI was smart enough to be irritating. I liked it a lot.