Thread: City of Heroes: Freedom (Free To Play MMO)

[Level 5: Mech]

City of Heroes: Freedom (Free To Play MMO)

http://www.destructoid.com/city-of-h...e-212425.phtml

I looked all over the place and saw no City of Heroes/Villains thread, so I figured I'd take advantage of the fact that the game is going Free to play and start one myself!

You can download the game: Here

What do non-paying customers get? Is it worth becoming a VIP? Side-by-side comparison: Here

My badass Hero, Alternate Costume Hero & Villain characters:

, ,

I'm not sure if they are segregating free players to a single server or not. I know that there will be a separate VIP server, though. If you like, feel free to jump onto the Victory server when you download the game.

I highly recommend giving City of Heroes: Freedom a shot, I've never heard a disparaging word, even from FORMER subscribers, it's now free, it's more Super Hero than anything Marvel or DC could put out(trust me, I've played them all) if only to try, what I consider to be the best character creation tool in existence. It's that damned good! How good? Well...

|
    |
    |
    v

/trollface
    Last edited by Rammstein; 09-28-2011 at 01:31 AM. Reason: It's now LIVE!

MATRiX
    Holy shit, I'm on Victory as well! I haven't played in years, but I might pick it back up when it goes free. I do love the character creation. So much, in fact, that I've only played past level ten with three different characters, but I've made over 50.

Quote Originally Posted by M47R1X View Post
    Holy shit, I'm on Victory as well! I haven't played in years, but I might pick it back up when it goes free. I do love the character creation. So much, in fact, that I've only played past level ten with three different characters, but I've made over 50.
    I've nothing creative to add, I just wanted to re-emphasize this. You can literally spend HOURS in the character creation tool alone, as I myself am guilty of doing.

I only played for ~the first year since launch and while the game was fun, it felt a little shallow. Mostly because my roommate and I didn't really play with anyone else and grinding was hard. We played a bit today(Yep, we both resubscribed) and it was a completely different game from what we remember. Hell, when I last played they didn't have the ability to make your own missions! As someone who LOVES map editors, that's just going to be another hours-spent time-sink for me! Oh and the Going Rogue expansion was only $20! I don't know if that's because we resubscribed to the base game($15/Month) or not but that's not a bad price, if anyone's interested in an even bigger/fuller experience.

The game comes highly recommended because of everything stated above, including what M47R1X said(especially what he said ), if you are the least bit curious about City of Heroes/City of Villains, or playing a Super Hero game or even just curious because of word of mouth, definitely check this out when it goes free to play in a few days.

Just a small taste of character creation options:

It's FINALLY HERE! There was a bit of confusion as to when the free2play version went live, but confusion no more!

I've updated the original post, accordingly!

I hope to see what you guys can create/come up with!

MATRiX
    I'll post mine in a bit. All on Victory, the best server around.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    I'm in on this, if I ever stop playing with the character creator

MATRiX
    Ack, forgot to post mine... The character creater is truly amazing.

GOODNIGHT, SWEET PRINCE.

*pours a 40oz on the ground*

[Level 6: Robot]
    This news makes me sad and i never even played the game, it always sucks to see a game die like this.

It was truly one of my favorite games of all time, not just one of my favorite MMO's of all time.

It sucks that I only heard that this game was free-to-play after the servers shut down.