Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Dead Island

[Level 8: Skynet]

Dead Island

So I'm making this thread for the game, because well, it deserves it. Awesome game so far. If you like Fallout, then this is like Fallout with a Borderlands skill system and weapon drops. Very, very fun and very scary!

I'm expecting this to be one of the surprise hits of the year.

Oh, if anyone is looking to co-op this starting from the beginning, let me know!

[Level 6: Robot]
    How was there not a dead island thread before this?

I've played it a little bit at work. Only opinion so far is that I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the R1 attack and L2 kick controls. I got used to it after a while, but it just felt wrong for a bit. Could also be that I haven't played anything on PS in years.

Also, finding weapons is a bitch. Probably just me nitpicking since I've played a whole 30 minutes of the game, but I would have liked if the sandbox zombie game had had more options when it comes to weapons. If I'm beating zombies away with my fists and theres a barstool next to me, I'd like the option to use that.

Planning on picking this up after my paycheck, so then I'll have something great to say about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Glitchy View Post
    My guess is that it was expected to suck so I suppose nobody even considered it.

Only opinion so far is that I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the R1 attack and L2 kick controls.
    I agree. I'd like it to be more like left trigger = kick, right trigger = swing, and then have a hot swap toggle with the Y button similar to other games. I don't like to use a wheel while I'm in the middle of a fight to swap out on a broken weapon.

Also, finding weapons is a bitch. Probably just me nitpicking since I've played a whole 30 minutes of the game, but I would have liked if the sandbox zombie game had had more options when it comes to weapons.
    It's not too bad, but it might depend on the class. I was the blunt weapons guy and I was finding stuff everywhere.

[Level 5: Mech]
    Quote Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
    My guess is that it was expected to suck so I suppose nobody even considered it.
    My daughter doesn't seem to like it. She complained about the melee mechanism not feeling smooth and having to use it constantly. I spent all my time on Deus Ex last night. I'll give Dead Island a go tonight.

[Level 6: Robot]
    I agree. I'd like it to be more like left trigger = kick, right trigger = swing, and then have a hot swap toggle with the Y button similar to other games. I don't like to use a wheel while I'm in the middle of a fight to swap out on a broken weapon.
    Especially when the wheel swap still happens in real time and doesn't pause.

Someone else who played the game mentioned how he wanted a heavy swing and light swing button instead of just mashing one for attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Levi
    It's not too bad, but it might depend on the class. I was the blunt weapons guy and I was finding stuff everywhere.
    How different is gameplay from class to class? We picked up as the smaller of the 2 guys.

Nah, I just think it got overlooked.

I was quite psyched about getting it till I read Jim's review I was hoping for more narrative to the zombie-hacking madness.

How does it play?

Quote Originally Posted by Panzadolphin56 View Post
    Nah, I just think it got overlooked.

I was quite psyched about getting it till I read Jim's review I was hoping for more narrative to the zombie-hacking madness.

How does it play?
    It's fun and the mood is very tense and scary. I haven't played a game that had this kind of tension since probably Condemned.

King of Ties 'n' Gifs 'n' Shit
    This game is tense indeed! You really have to look over your shoulder when looting as the zombie pop up from all over!

Make sure you kick every dead body as 75% of the time you get XP for a single kick :P

PROBLEM
    I am playing Xian Mei and I unlocked her "Flying Strike -Attacking with sharp weapons while jumping causes extra damage"
    The thing is you can not hit SHIT while jumping! I tried for a good 30 mins last night and besides kicking, I could not connect with any sharp weapon while in the air.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I emailed Deep Silver but who knows how far that will go.

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    I'm super jelly. My last pay check was shit so I can't really invest any money into games right now, but damn near everyone I know who said they were only thinking of getting Dead Island actually did get it and now that's all these fuckers talk about.

"Hey guys! Ya'll want to go out for some grub?

"FUCK THAT, WE'RE PLAYING DEEEEAAAD ISLAND!"

It's only been a day and I can see this destroying lives, one bat swing at a time.

Regardless, I'm going to go sell my body on the streets so I can get my hands on a copy. brb, going to get prettied up.

Level 51 Mexican
    Despite the problem of them releasing a dev build instead of the retail one on Steam, I can say I had a great time playing 5-6hrs with it friends right after it unlocked. Only thing now is that none of my friends want to play it out of fear of a patch breaking saved games, which I think is understandable.

Also, finding weapons is a bitch. Probably just me nitpicking since I've played a whole 30 minutes of the game, but I would have liked if the sandbox zombie game had had more options when it comes to weapons. If I'm beating zombies away with my fists and theres a barstool next to me, I'd like the option to use that.
    There's not much stuff laying around to use at weapons during the start of the game, later on you find weapons more often, although it still sucks how fast they wear down and break.

Quote Originally Posted by Mix View Post
    PROBLEM
    I am playing Xian Mei and I unlocked her "Flying Strike -Attacking with sharp weapons while jumping causes extra damage"
    The thing is you can not hit SHIT while jumping! I tried for a good 30 mins last night and besides kicking, I could not connect with any sharp weapon while in the air.
    I saw that skill but I didn't unlock it :P, I went for the extra dmg from behind and more weapon durability instead.

[Level 4: Cyborg] RinseWashRepeat's Avatar
    I've heard (from GiantBomb) that having the analogue control on makes it more enjoyable.

Looks sweet though. I'm calling it BorderOut4Dead. Like it?

I've pulled all nighters the last two nights playing this. I'm using Purna in combat spec, so basically I use sharp weapons and guns. I found, literally, 7 rounds of ammo until Act 2, but it never felt like I even should since it's a fucking resort. Once I got to the city ammo became more prevalent, and I felt like the gun play was done really well (tap tap). Someone mentioned Condemned, and I definitely felt that in the hotel and the city. I also really like how even though it's bright and sunny and beautiful, it still feels creepy as shit. I've been doing co-op from the start with a buddy, and it's super fun.
    This makes me so much better than Gyrael.

Quote Originally Posted by Mix View Post
    This game is tense indeed! You really have to look over your shoulder when looting as the zombie pop up from all over!

Make sure you kick every dead body as 75% of the time you get XP for a single kick :P

PROBLEM

Anyone else experiencing this?

I emailed Deep Silver but who knows how far that will go.
    That's one reason I can't stand autosaves that don't allow for some manual saves. If something doesn't work like you found, there is no way of going back without starting over. At least with a manual save you might have been able to go back and salvage your character in exchange for a little lost time.

King of Ties 'n' Gifs 'n' Shit
    That's one reason I can't stand autosaves that don't allow for some manual saves. If something doesn't work like you found, there is no way of going back without starting over. At least with a manual save you might have been able to go back and salvage your character in exchange for a little lost time.
    Agreed! Also upset that you can not respec your character

You couldn't respec your character when Borderlands started either, but didn't they patch that in?

For anyone curious about this game, do not let anyone compare it to Left 4 Dead. It is Borderlands with zombies and melee. That's exactly what you're getting, and it's pretty fun. I'd argue more fun that Borderlands really. The gameplay is arguably more simple, but the grind less painful.

The exploration is a whole hell of a lot more fun than Borderlands, as well.

[Level 9: Chuck Norris]
    THis game's pretty near the top of my under-20-on-eBay list; right under Deus Ex.

Seems like it'd be fun, but not 40 fun.

Bringer of Truth

I've played it a little bit at work. Only opinion so far is that I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the R1 attack and L2 kick controls. I got used to it after a while, but it just felt wrong for a bit. Could also be that I haven't played anything on PS in years.

Planning on picking this up after my paycheck, so then I'll have something great to say about it.
    Every time I played a game on PS3 at PAX I did that. R1 is the default "attack" / shoot button instead of the Right Trigger on the 360, so when I pushed R2 I always threw a grenade or something lol

Gonna pick this up when I get some cash, maybe next week.

[Level 3: Humanoid]
    The one issue I have noticed in my little time with the game is that y-axis inversion can't be set indendent from analog fighting, at least on the PC. So if I want to do an upper cut I have to move my sticks in the opposite direction. It can get pretty confusing.

Other than that I am really enjoying going Tonya Harding on these bimbo zombies!