Page 37 of 49 FirstFirst ... 27 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 47 ... LastLast

Thread: Hipster gamer: What games do you hate that others love?

[Level 2: Human] Stupid Name Guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrustle View Post
    Depends what you mean by justify.

With some games I find that I don't necessarily hate the game itself, but what surrounds it. Whether that be the hype, the fans, or how it has influenced the medium, or whatever it might be. But the game itself I usually don't have strong feelings about. At worst I dislike the game, but not actually having strong enough feelings to call it anything resembling hate. Can't really bring myself to say that unless I've experienced it myself.

If you "hate" a game from seeing a lot of it because of what the game actually involves, then I would say it's more reasonable to say you simply dislike it and it's not the kind of thing you enjoy. If you mean that your hate comes from overexposure to the game, then the hate is really more about the bandwagon that's sprung up around the game than the game itself.

That's just my perspective on it though. Maybe there's some other reason to hate something that I haven't thought of.
    For the record, the game is question is Heavy Rain. From the dozens of playthroughs I have seen on the internet, the dislikable characters and ugly aesthetic kill me. Worst of all is the plot, where the writers commit the novice crime of making the story so forced and convenient at the the beginning of the story it makes me jaded thinking about it. The plotholes and the blackouts don't help. Some of these blackouts would have been explained, but the development team said they would be too unrealistic, even though they are 1) Making a video game, and 2) Giving more depth to blackouts and dream sequences were realism doesn't mean squat. Hell, even if it were a movie, you could still put those parts in, and it would be OK.

Don't even get me started on the pointless sex scene.

My point is, I haven't played Heavy Rain, and I have no desire too. The narrative seems to sloppy, and there is hardly anything of a gameplay experience to make me reconsider. For a game that holds almost all of it's stock on the story, it can hardly do that right. Everything needs to be perfect or at least rational, otherwise your story is moot, therefore, most of the game. I wouldn't mind so much if critics didn't love it as much as they did, but. . . ehhhhhgh. To each his own.

That sounds like a perfectly reasonable justification to hate that particular game to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Stupid Name Guy View Post
    For the record, the game is question is Heavy Rain. From the dozens of playthroughs I have seen on the internet, the dislikable characters and ugly aesthetic kill me. Worst of all is the plot, where the writers commit the novice crime of making the story so forced and convenient at the the beginning of the story it makes me jaded thinking about it. The plotholes and the blackouts don't help. Some of these blackouts would have been explained, but the development team said they would be too unrealistic, even though they are 1) Making a video game, and 2) Giving more depth to blackouts and dream sequences were realism doesn't mean squat. Hell, even if it were a movie, you could still put those parts in, and it would be OK.

Don't even get me started on the pointless sex scene.

My point is, I haven't played Heavy Rain, and I have no desire too. The narrative seems to sloppy, and there is hardly anything of a gameplay experience to make me reconsider. For a game that holds almost all of it's stock on the story, it can hardly do that right. Everything needs to be perfect or at least rational, otherwise your story is moot, therefore, most of the game. I wouldn't mind so much if critics didn't love it as much as they did, but. . . ehhhhhgh. To each his own.
    To be fair it is a pretty mediocre game.

[Level 1: Fresh Meat]
    i sorta hated the mass effect series. i just plain don't like it. ohh ohhh. also knight online. turks really love that game though.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    I watched the full Two Best Friends Let's Play of Heavy Rain.

I think I can get away with saying I "played" it.

I am going to have to change my opinion of Far Cry 3 from disdain and massive disappointment to seething hatred. Primarily because of the broken atrocity that is the coop. It's absolutely unacceptable and I really don't think those achievements made it worth all the time I wasted playing it. Oh, and the AI blatantly cheats at poker, for which there is an achievement for some ludicrous reason. Great work Ubisoft. This truly is one of the worst sequels I can remember playing.

[Level 2: Human] Stupid Name Guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla Gravy View Post
    I watched the full Two Best Friends Let's Play of Heavy Rain.

I think I can get away with saying I "played" it.
    Exactly, it's like watching a movie. A bad one.

Man, if I actually listed all of them, it'd never end, so I'll just say a couple. I'll probably get a lot of flack for this but the biggest one would probably be the entire Zelda series. I just can't get into it. The only game I remotely liked was Wind Waker. Another one is Skyrim. I played and loved it for a good 10 or so hours but then it just got boring and the final boss didn't help. My list also includes Borderlands, Portal, Half Life, Mario Kart, Halo, Chrono Trigger, Mass Effect, Minecraft, most Bethesda games, Gears of War, recent Pokemon games, and a lot more.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Spec Ops: The Line.

It's five hours long with zero replayability and the gameplay is about as generic as it gets. Most games would be crucified for this but because it takes a couple of potshots at Call of Duty and the story is halfway decent it gets a pass.

Bullshit.

[Level 3: Humanoid] CarbonRevenge's Avatar
    I know you guys have admitted to hating this game or having a dislike for it but for me it's L.A. Noire. The PC version may have a stupid 30fps cap but other than that...it's not too bad if we ignore some funny random glitches.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Journey was a huge flop for me. It was gorgeous and I can definitely see the potential of anonymous multiplayer but the gameplay itself was just uninteresting. Jumping and chirping were the only actions your character can perform and jumping is limited for no other reason than to force you to hang out with your partner.

I also was let down by how linear it was. As soon as the game started, I tried to run off into the desert and kept getting pushed back by strong winds. It became immediately clear that, no matter how big the world seemed, I was on a predetermined path.

Yeah, it was pretty. That's about it. Every time it wins an award, I hate it a little more. Fuck that game.

Bayonetta
    Maybe it's beacuse PS3 port is arse. Or that I'm not good in hack'n slash games.

Most competitive FPS games. I lack the coordination/reflexes needed. Love some FPS games like the later Fall Out games and the Borderlands series, too.

Dead Island. Everyone I know who plays games loves it but it just seems awful. I've never actually played it but I've watched people and it seems like everything is so slow and you just repeatedly stomp on zombie heads. Also it makes me really want to play Left 4 Dead.

Pow! Right in the kisser!
    Quote Originally Posted by ElNicko114 View Post
    I've never actually played it but I've watched people and it seems like everything is so slow and you just repeatedly stomp on zombie necromorph heads.
    What are you talking about?? Dead Space 3 is awesome!

[Level 1: Fresh Meat] chaosandpeace's Avatar
    I could never get in to skyrim very well.

Or any elder scrolls game really...except for daggerfall.

Quote Originally Posted by ElNicko114 View Post
    Dead Island. Everyone I know who plays games loves it but it just seems awful. I've never actually played it but I've watched people and it seems like everything is so slow and you just repeatedly stomp on zombie heads. Also it makes me really want to play Left 4 Dead.
    I really enjoyed that game to start with - the melee is a lot of fun initially, but the game gets really frustrating after so many hours of being pushed over, getting back up, desperately trying to hit something then being pushed over again. Don't think it helps much that there's no variety in the gameplay whatsoever.

Pow! Right in the kisser!
    Quote Originally Posted by chaosandpeace View Post
    I could never get in to skyrim very well.

Or any elder scrolls game really...except for daggerfall.
    I just got addicted to Skyrim again last night after a 6 month hiatus. That game is so fucking good.

For me it's LoL. All my friends are playing that thing, but I just don't see the appeal of it.

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    Marvel Vs. Capcom 3.

A fighting game that focuses on keeping your opponent unable to respond for as long as possible.
    It is therefore not a fighting game, as the entire element of a "fight" means that there is a struggle between two opposing forces, and when you remove the element of struggle by way of unrelenting forced domination with no hope of escape...well, you stop any real "fight" from taking place.