Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 45 ... LastLast

Thread: Hipster gamer: What games do you hate that others love?

Beast Master
    Which GoW?

Pow! Right in the kisser!
    Gears of War or God of War??

I can't stand any Angry Birds iteration. At all. Reminds me of one of the first Flash games that came out at the beginning of the Interwebs. I can't find it original or fun. Ugh.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Both.

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    Isaac Asimov, Stephen King, Gene Wolfe, Michael Crichton, Isaac Asimov, Stephen King, Douglas Presto
    As a whole I hate Nintendo. I think it stems from my childhood when I was a SEGA fanboy.

Gears of war i meant, sorry. Not god of war.

Cant stand any of them.
    But i can understand why they appeal.

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    I love MGS Twin Snakes on the Gamecube but everyone else I talk to seems to hate it. It's my fav MGS game.

With the GTA (post III) series, I found myself sinning up a storm in the free-roam, but never getting much of a drive out of actually playing through the story. I feel bad about it because of the game's universal praise. I'm getting over it though =P.

I'd like to say Mass Effect as a series, but I honestly haven't played past the first 4 hours of ME1. Because it was unbearable on Xbox 360; the controls were mediocre, making it super difficult to do the most basic of tasks. The combat felt wrongly paced - just something about switching skills and the shooting feeling off. And finally, the story. I haven't played Mass Effect 2, which I understand is the pinnacle of the ME series, but god was the first 3 hours of the Mass Effect story awful. I read a lot, and maybe that's why I can't abide boring stories, but honestly? This was one of the best stories gaming had to offer? The storyline of KoTOR was more interesting than this, and that's based in a pre-established universe which wasn't really that interesting to begin with. What I played was not remotely interesting, or enticing.

EDIT: Also, GTA4. Made me realise that Rockstar forgot how to have fun with GTA.

Trauma Center.

After the 20th surgery of following long-winded directions and the surprising - yet mechanically uncreative - task of disassembling a bomb with my medical equipment, even my mere drive to finish things I started gave in.

[Level 2: Human] Shredded Angel's Avatar
    Parappa The Rapper.

I feel it comes how terrible I am at rhythm games, though. I'm not a fan of rhythm games in general. I only made it through a handful of levels in Elite Beat Agents before I gave up on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anbaraen View Post
    I'd like to say Mass Effect as a series, but I honestly haven't played past the first 4 hours of ME1. Because it was unbearable on Xbox 360; the controls were mediocre, making it super difficult to do the most basic of tasks. The combat felt wrongly paced - just something about switching skills and the shooting feeling off. And finally, the story. I haven't played Mass Effect 2, which I understand is the pinnacle of the ME series, but god was the first 3 hours of the Mass Effect story awful. I read a lot, and maybe that's why I can't abide boring stories, but honestly? This was one of the best stories gaming had to offer? The storyline of KoTOR was more interesting than this, and that's based in a pre-established universe which wasn't really that interesting to begin with. What I played was not remotely interesting, or enticing.
    I don't think the ME story is anything special either. The strength of the narrative depends on how much you enjoy taking the reigns of the story and steering it in the direction you want to go. The series gives you a certain amount of authorial control over the main character and the world around them. There are a lot of story beats that aren't all that interesting on their own, but become much more meaningful because of your participation.

Without the branching story and the interaction between Shepard and the other characters, the ME games would merely be competent 3rd person shooters with some extremely light RPG elements. I was happy to forgive the unimpressive combat mechanics because I got totally drawn into shaping Shepard a certain way and forging his/her relationships with the various crew members. If you're hung up on the clunky mechanics of ME1, I would suggest skipping right to ME2. It's a much better game overall and it gets into the interesting stuff right away.

[Level 2: Human] LiquidSolstice's Avatar
    Skyrim.

I went in with an open mind and the recommendation from basically everyone I know who plays video games. The story was incredibly bland for the first bit, and then I started to run into major problems with the quests. There was no indication as to which were main quests and which were side quests. An NPC that I just waved goodbye to, I could go back to and talk to again and somehow get a new quest. Within the first five minutes, I'd lost sight completely of who Stormcloak was, why I was off to die, what the general goal was, what in the hell the dragons do, and I was getting mugged, trampled by mammoths, recruited for missions, sent to a vampire's lair where she killed me by looking at me, accidentally started a riot because the targeting system was too dumb to realize I was trying to hit the giant that the others were attacking, not trying to hit the others, and it just became overwhelming.

I can't stand games like that. I like smooth and controlled open-world settings. In a game like Mass Effect, it is very clear why you are undergoing a certain quest and what it is meant to do in terms of the overall storyline (if anything at all).

[Level 3: Humanoid] arglactable's Avatar
    Far Cry 3. The most disappointing of many, many sequels this year.

knows stuff and things.
    Battlefield 2. The only way I could play that was in an RP-style tournament setting with its own mod.

I remember trying to play Fallout 3 until I accidentally stole a tattered old book and had every NPC in town try to kill me.

That put me off playing much more.

[Level 3: Humanoid] ConnorTheScot's Avatar
    I think I would say Farcry 3 was the disappointment for me, I loved the exploration of the island and the side missions, but as soon as I started to play the story I had to put it down. Cannot stand the story, well to be fair I have not given it a fair chance.

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by ConnorTheScot View Post
    I think I would say Farcry 3 was the disappointment for me, I loved the exploration of the island and the side missions, but as soon as I started to play the story I had to put it down. Cannot stand the story, well to be fair I have not given it a fair chance.
    Yeah, it took me a while to warm up to FC3's story. The premise really is ridiculous as hell. It's hard to believe that prep school kids would survive such an environment, regardless of how much extreme sports training they've had. It grew on me after a while though. Once it hits its stride, it has something of an eighties teen adventure vibe by way of Apocalypse Now. Strange description but it makes sense.

[Level 3: Humanoid] ConnorTheScot's Avatar
    Once i get the time to truly give FC3 a chance I sure will, but I just got no incentive to pick it up for 30 minutes to half and hour and at a time, which is really all I get at once time to play games. Oh and also Minecraft, I don't particularly like Minecraft! Haha

Pow! Right in the kisser!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muckfoot View Post
    and had every NPC in town try to kill me.
    But that's the best part!

I honestly never got into Fallout 3 the first 3 times I played it. But the fourth time seemed to suck me in. I finally got it, and freaking loved every second of it. One of my favorite games of forever.