Page 1 of 49 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Hipster gamer: What games do you hate that others love?

MATRiX

Hipster gamer: What games do you hate that others love?

Sir Legendhead has a fantastic thread started on what games you love that others hate. Well this one is the opposite. What games do others love that you just can't? Call of Duty doesn't count, because hating it is too mainstream.

So what'cha hating?
    Last edited by MATRiX; 08-04-2011 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Changed the picture. This one makes more sense.

Pwnd
    REVERSE PLAGIARISMS!

Mmm, first one that comes to mind is Borderlands. I can see how it might be fun with the right group of people, but then again you can say that about almost anything. I tried it by myself and was bored out of my mind within about thirty minutes. There just didn't seem to be much going on there as far as a single player experience goes.

MATRiX
    Just trying to keep your thread on track, buddy! My crossover thread has strayed a bit and I foresaw the same happening in yours. For me, God of War. Felt like a DMC clone. Primarily because it was.

Half-Life 2, Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire, Mass Effect 2.

Ok I'm only joking about ME2. I do quite like it but I'm nowhere near accepting it as the level of perfection the majority of people hold it as (see: 10/10).

The writing of LA Noire pisses me right off. Characters fly off the handle at the most inappropriate times - if you incorrectly choose doubt instead of truth, you're likely to end up insulting their mother, for instance. All the divergent mission paths collide horribly, so the basic mission narrative often transpires as a messy causal paradox, as if somebody fucked up a movie during the editing stage. So many of the game mechanics come across as superfluous and decorative - the pseudo-open world, the driving/chase sections, the shooting/fighting sections - if the game were a sandwich, these would be the crisps and salad thrown around it so you don't get bored after a couple of bites. (That analogy totally works, stop looking at me like that.)

And Red Dead Redemption is pretty much a giant uncooked cucumber.

This? This right here? This is why I don't venture into the forums. Mr Andy Dixon's Avatar
    Final Fantasy VII - Not sure that I can say I "hate" it, since I only played it for about an hour. But in that hour I became bored out of my fucking mind. (JRPGs are just not my thing, I've since learned.)

God of War - Love the over-the-top violence, but I find these way more fun to watch other people play than to play myself.

I'm sure I'll think of more, but that's it for now

Also,

Quote Originally Posted by Byronic Man View Post
    Half-Life 2, Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire, Mass Effect 2.
    Cool man. We have NOTHING in common.

MATRiX
    I look at FFVII how Byronic does ME2. It's most certainly overrated. That term gets taken out of context quite often. It's one of my favorite FFs, but it's horribly flawed. And I didn't cry when Aeris got shanked.

GEARS. OF. WAR. IS. SHIT.

Red Dead Redemption. I had that from Gamefly from February until July and only was able to force myself about 6 hours in. I may try it again some day, but there's so much more I want to play first.
    This makes me so much better than Gyrael.

Pwnd
    I loved RDR the first time I played it. My problem was that the ending killed any possible replay value, for me anyway.

~* SPOILERS *~

The main character's struggle turns out to be pointless. I even tried rushing through the core story as John and doing the side missions afterwards as Jack, but that wasn't very satisfying either. There's just no payoff. Rockstar did the same thing with GTA IV and from what I've read, LA Noire as well.

I can see how some people might like dark endings such as these but they don't do much for me, at least not in this particular medium. I like games where it's possible to actually win in the end, you know what I mean?

I really enjoyed GTA IV though, and it was the only one in the franchise that held me through to the end.

Bringer of Truth
    From what I've played, Half Life 2.

I only had the Orange Box on the 360, have it on PC now thanks to Arctic Fox but haven't gotten to it yet. I got about halfway through the game though.

It's good, it's definitely great. I just think going in with all that "OMG BEST GAME EVER" hype in it kills ANY single flaw in it, and I imagine that's the same reason a lot of other VERY popular games are listed here. ME2 and RDR in particular.

[Level 5: Mech]
    I didn't like Gears of War at all. I tried multiple times but man, something about that game just sucks. Also God of War wasn't fun. I was happy when I traded the remastered edition away.

MATRiX
    Haven't played RDR or Gears. I heard what the complaints were, and knew right then I should stay away.

Honkey Kong
    Any JRPG in the style of Final Fantasy, Shadow of the Colossus, Katamari, Mass Effect(don't really hate it, just meh). And most retro games, not because of the games themselves, but because people won't ever shut-up about them and their worship of them gives me a headache. I love the games too, but enough is enough.

Oh, and obligatory Scott Pilgrim.

*EDIT* Forgot God of War. Dante's Inferno was better.
    Last edited by usedtabe; 08-02-2011 at 10:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by usedtabe View Post
    Oh, and obligatory Scott Pilgrim.
    Guffawed.

[Level 2: Human]
    Final Fantasy.

Notice how there is no specific number. That is because I can't stand ANY of them.

[Level 6: Robot]
    Oblivion.

MATRiX
    Tomb Raider. The controls made... well... ALL of them complete shit. We'll see if this new one sways me.

Bringer of Truth
    Quote Originally Posted by Glitchy View Post
    Oblivion.
    This.

Completed the intro dungeon, had no desire to continue.

[Level 6: Robot]
    Quote Originally Posted by ClownBaby View Post
    Completed the intro dungeon, had no desire to continue.
    This.

Also, Gears of War.