Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Guilty Pleasures: Games You Like that Everyone Else Hates

Pwnd
    I've wanted to play STALKER for a long ass time, but have never put aside the time for it. I hear that it's like Fallout on crack.

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    Quote Originally Posted by Revuhlooshun View Post
    I've wanted to play STALKER for a long ass time, but have never put aside the time for it. I hear that it's like Fallout on crack.
    Pretty much. Combat is way more intense and akin to something like Rainbow 6. Not planning or anything, but low health, ballistics, injuries, jams, etc.

[Level 3: Humanoid] ConnorTheScot's Avatar
    For a long while within my friends group World of Warcraft was my guilty pleasure damn the abuse i got!

But i would say the worst/best guilty pleasure i have had, was James Cameron's Avatar on the Xbox 360, i think i played that game for a good two weeks solid completing both the Naavi and Human campaigns! I felt guilty that my parents bought it for my brother for Christmas (Bad move) and he never played it. So i played it and loved it! haha

[Level 2: Human] Shredded Angel's Avatar
    I think mine would have to be Barbarian for PS2. Every once in a while I pull that game out and play it for a bit. Part of it could be the nostalgia factor for me because my brother and I ended up getting that game when we first got a PS2. I remember playing that game a bunch with my family. As a fighting game, though, it's not that great.

Also, I love Final Fantasy VIII.

Absolutly loved NIER, and am fairly certain I'm the only one in my direct circle who loved it as much as I did.

I think Nier was supposed to be a pretty well regarded game. It didn't get the most amazing reviews (still not bad though) and it kind of flew under the radar at launch but when I see people talk about it it's almost nothing but praise. I tried it out myself once briefly and although I didn't get far I had fun with it.

I can't think of many games I really like that were widely hated though. I guess I could say I really liked SSX On Tour. You almost never hear anyone talk about that, and when they do it always seems to be with scorn. It baffles me though. It's great in my opinion. Just as good as SSX 3, it just has a different aesthetic to it. One that suits it well, too.

I'm a fan of the Test Drive Unlimited games too. The first was mostly well received but I think the second got more crap than it deserved. Not that it was flawless by any stretch of the imagination, though. But that game actually has a pretty solid fanbase. When I hear people talk about it it's about 50/50 between people who like it and people who don't. It's hardly the case that "everyone" hates it.

I really love Excitebots. I know it probably has fans out there, but I feel it's one of those games that kind of fell by the wayside shortly after it released. I'm not much of a racing fan, but Excitebots will never fail to put a smile on my face.

Nier

Quote Originally Posted by Scrustle View Post
    I think Nier was supposed to be a pretty well regarded game. It didn't get the most amazing reviews (still not bad though) and it kind of flew under the radar at launch but when I see people talk about it it's almost nothing but praise. I tried it out myself once briefly and although I didn't get far I had fun with it.

I can't think of many games I really like that were widely hated though. I guess I could say I really liked SSX On Tour. You almost never hear anyone talk about that, and when they do it always seems to be with scorn. It baffles me though. It's great in my opinion. Just as good as SSX 3, it just has a different aesthetic to it. One that suits it well, too.

I'm a fan of the Test Drive Unlimited games too. The first was mostly well received but I think the second got more crap than it deserved. Not that it was flawless by any stretch of the imagination, though. But that game actually has a pretty solid fanbase. When I hear people talk about it it's about 50/50 between people who like it and people who don't. It's hardly the case that "everyone" hates it.

Can't recommend Nier highly enough! The game mechanics are solid but little special. What sold me on it was the soundtrack and the story. The story is really something special on your second playthrough

The Test Drive series are pretty solid too, but they seem to not get alot of attention in comparison to the NFS's of this world..

Quote Originally Posted by Vermelho View Post
    Can't recommend Nier highly enough! The game mechanics are solid but little special. What sold me on it was the soundtrack and the story. The story is really something special on your second playthrough

The Test Drive series are pretty solid too, but they seem to not get alot of attention in comparison to the NFS's of this world..
    As someone who is a huge fan of racing games, and previously a big fan of the series, I have to say that the NFS games have become vastly overrated. The driving models have felt like arse ever since the original MW, with the exception of NFS World, but that's just a tweaked version of MW.

The graphics of the series have gotten better and they've got more and more box-ticking features, which have lead to the critical reception of the series to climb back up, but the actual handling feel of the games remains below par. Yet they keep getting undeserved attention despite failing badly at the most important part of any driving game! Even the handling model in TDU 2 is better than plenty of these games. It may be numb and stiff in TDU 2, but at least it's actually predictable, unlike NFS The Run, Hot Pursuit, Shift and Shift 2 for example.

The series has just become an example of game design by committee. Style over substance, and all the different features that they think people want, all to impress. But when it comes to actually playing the games, all that stuff doesn't matter, because they're simply not fun to drive. It's lead to great studios full of great talent turning out crap when they could be working on greater things. It's so depressing to see the series turn in to what it has become. Yet I can't stop myself hoping every time they announce a new one that maybe this year will be the year that NFS returns to form.
    Last edited by Scrustle; 01-09-2013 at 01:52 PM.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    I actually really liked this game.

DOA Xtreme Volleyball >.>;

I'm being serious, BTW. Just fix those creepy boob physics and I'll come back.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixielated View Post
    DOA Xtreme Volleyball >.>;

I'm being serious, BTW. Just fix those creepy boob physics and I'll come back.
    Boing boing.

Pow! Right in the kisser!
    "Creepy" and "boob physics" do not belong in the same sentence. Ever.

Beast Master
    Aren't boobs magical? Doesn't magic fall outside the boundaries of physics?

Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by PappaDukes View Post
    "Creepy" and "boob physics" do not belong in the same sentence. Ever.
    Have you played a Dead or Alive game before?

Of course, and I love the magical boob physics.

[Level 3: Humanoid] arglactable's Avatar
    If they didn't jiggle constantly, you would occasionally forget that they were boobs and your enjoyment of the game would steeply decline.

[Level 3: Humanoid]
    I really liked The Godfather 2 game. It wasn't exactly the most memorable, but thinking about it now, I just remember kind of liking the progression of the story and such, it has been just under four years since I have played the game though.

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    I fucking adore Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes but every time I mention it the game is slagged off, one of my fav games of all time with much better graphics, first person mode and I really enjoyed the updated cutscenes (I don't give a shit if Snake dropkicks a missile, it was awesome) I wish they would release it on Xbox or PS3