Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: The Dishonored Thread

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Fuck man, should have waited. Game is going to be $25 at Walmart on Black Friday. Almost want to resell my copy and wait.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    For UK folk, Game currently has the special edition for 30. Can't confirm if same in store.

Platinum, bitches.

[Level 3: Humanoid] arglactable's Avatar
    Nice. I have to say it's the only game in a long time that I felt the urge to 100% immediately before putting it back on the shelf.

[Level 5: Mech]
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Platinum, bitches.
    Congrats.

How'd you get your Tempest trophy? Weepers?

[Level 13: Notifying Niero Now]
    Hahaha I will never plat this game!

Quote Originally Posted by Dooshkin View Post
    Congrats.

How'd you get your Tempest trophy? Weepers?
    Second to last stage. Alerted everyone, then grenades.

I have a question good folks of the Dishonored thread. First off, I really want this game. Second off, I really want X COM as well. Third off, I a busted headset for my 360. Black Friday is coming up and all three of these, given their availability are up for grabs at a reduced price. Turtle Beach X12s are cheaper than the Wireless Headset I planned on getting. Dishonored is 25-30 depending on where you look and X COM is 25 from Walmart. I'm already getting Dead Island GOTY if Best Buy still has it on Saturday. I haven't checked anything on Fry's yet so I don't know about them.

What I ask you guys is if Dishonored is worthy of "first priority". I wanted this since it was announced but the headset throws off the whole thing.

It depends, really. I don't regret buying it at launch at all. But between this and XCOM the choice is not that easy. It comes down to what kind of game you like more.

You're also likely to get more hours out of XCOM if you follow Table's logic, though.

Pwnd
    I would buy it right now if it wasn't locked to a first-person perspective. I don't really care for first person and it seems like an especially ineffective choice for this particular game. The people who happen to wind up behind me deserve to have their awesome deaths seen as well.

Idk though, I might pick it up at the Black Friday thing. It looks like it would be worth $25 (at least) and I kinda feel like fighting a crowd this year, in game or not.

It's not a sale unless you come out bloody, right?

Pwnd
    Nah, it won't really be like that. The store where I live has some kind of segmented schedule for the sales that night. Like one starts at 8 pm, another at midnight, something else in the wee hours of the morning and so on. Hopefully I find out in advance which time is for videogames, 'cause I don't plan on hanging around.

The first person perspective goes a long way to promote immersion in the awesome world of Dunwall and they do a great job of keeping you incredibly mobile and aware of your environment at all times, with blink, the smooth climbing mechanics, dark vision, and leaning (which I find myself missing now in other games). Though to be fair, I may be a bit biased, because I greatly prefer the first person perspective, especially in RPGs and other games with similar emphasis on immersion. This is still going strong as my game of the year.

Pwnd
    Played it for a little while just now and so far it's a massive step back from Absolution. The stealth systems are nowhere near as advanced and the graphics seem almost last gen by comparison. Looking forward to unlocking the powers though, I'm sure they're the best part. As a matter of fact I think he starts with telekinesis, because I turned a valve wheel just now and his arms didn't even move.

The mere existence of a ethical mechanic seems a bit childish too, after the thought provoking ambiguity of 47's apparent value system. There was a popup that mentioned something about getting a darker ending if you kill people rather than merely subduing them. It's kind of neat that it affects the narrative but at the same time the thought process behind it seems unevolved. I'll be a bit disappointed if the permanent removal of Corvo's potential threats makes the character become "evil".

Also, inb4 tears about me comparing the two games I played last.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    It's less of a good/evil system as it is a reflection on power and the possible abuse of said power. People have been misinterpreting the themes of the game since the first reviews pop up I think because they are used to these systems being binary good/evil. Everything Corvo does is inherently not good, even if his intentions are.

Honkey Kong
    Got this for $25 at walmart black friday. Who knew hordes of ghetto people fighting over dumb shit was insanely tolerable while drunk?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Legendhead View Post
    Played it for a little while just now and so far it's a massive step back from Absolution. The stealth systems are nowhere near as advanced and the graphics seem almost last gen by comparison. Looking forward to unlocking the powers though, I'm sure they're the best part. As a matter of fact I think he starts with telekinesis, because I turned a valve wheel just now and his arms didn't even move.

The mere existence of a ethical mechanic seems a bit childish too, after the thought provoking ambiguity of 47's apparent value system. There was a popup that mentioned something about getting a darker ending if you kill people rather than merely subduing them. It's kind of neat that it affects the narrative but at the same time the thought process behind it seems unevolved. I'll be a bit disappointed if the permanent removal of Corvo's potential threats makes the character become "evil".

Also, inb4 tears about me comparing the two games I played last.
    People like to assume that it is a moral system and like to complain about how it seems like the game punishes you for going the more stylish and bad-ass route with the awesome powers they gave you. People are so used to the (dated) concept of good and bad endings as rewards and punishments for fulfilling certain arbitrary conditions that the idea that neither ending is inherently a reward while the other is the bad ending because you suck is foreign to them. These are not Silent Hill endings. Killing more people simply introduces more chaos in the city. More rats, more corpses, more weepers. And the other characters in the story are influenced by your violent nature (especially Emily), resulting in a significantly different final mission as well as several changes in the missions leading up to it. The game never implies that not killing is somehow morally superior to the alternative. In fact, it makes a point of indicating the many of the nonlethal assassination options are a worse fate than death (of particular note being the alternative for Lady Boyle). It doesn't treat wholesale slaughter lightly, but it doesn't pretend that ruining people's lives is exactly a perfect image of morality either.

As for the stealth mechanics. They are entirely different from Absolution's, so the comparison is pointless. Both are great stealth titles for different reasons. And the graphics are intentionally stylized to give the game a unique look. They don't need to be on the technical level of Absolution to serve their purpose.

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by usedtabe View Post
    Got this for $25 at walmart black friday. Who knew hordes of ghetto people fighting over dumb shit was insanely tolerable while drunk?
    I did!

The other two posts are great too, forgive the lack of a detailed response. I just haven't played very much of the game yet. Looking forward to it now though.

~~~ updated, bitches ~~~

Finished it and found it overhyped. It's kinda good but nowhere near as good as people have made it out to be. I might not trade it just yet but those last few hours were especially miserable. It's basically a dumber, prettier Fallout. (and btw, that one girl with the hat has the same VA as Sunny Smiles)

And the "no moral judgment" argument fell completely apart when
    Spoiler!
    Last edited by Sir Legendhead; 11-29-2012 at 12:59 PM.

Everything arglactable said. Seriously, you're doing shady things no matter how many people you kill/spare. I've played through several times now, and saw a new narative twist each time based on what my current chaos level, which side missions I had completed and which buildings I found a way into.

I thought the alternative that Slackjaw gives you to killing the Pendleton bros. was a much worse fate than Lady Boyle's.
    Spoiler!

[Level 8: Skynet]
    So I'm guessing I'm not the only one who started off saying they wouldn't kill anybody but after two missions just said fuck it and slaughtered my way through the rest of the game

Anyway, beat it, loved it. Plan on running through it again soonish. Don't know if I'm going to try for a ghost run again or create as much chaos as possible.
    Last edited by Gorilla Gravy; 12-15-2012 at 01:34 PM.