Thread: Thoughts on DLC? What do you feel are good, bad and in-between DLCs?

Steam ID
    [none]
    PSN
    [none]
    XBL
    [none]

Thoughts on DLC? What do you feel are good, bad and in-between DLCs?

DLC is a very controversial topic among gamers. Some argue that DLC is a good thing and others will swear that DLC is the biggest abomination to hit the game industry.

I feel as DLC can go either way. I support DLC when it is done right in that it expands upon the game and is developed after the game is finished up. If it is to add in stuff that couldn't make it due to time constraints or to expand upon an already completed game, then I am all for it. Fallout 3 illustrate this very well, so much so that Masahiro Sakurai, director of the Super Smash Bros. series, is using Fallout 3's method of DLC should SSB 3DS & Wii U get DLC (which is unknown, but he has confirmed there is no current plans for it, although hasn't ruled it out yet). Fire Emblem: Awakening I feel is in the middle. The DLC contents are stuff that expand upon the game, but I am weary of the fact that the DLC was obviously implemented during development of the full game. It doesn't totally deter me from a game, but it does give me second thoughts about using the DLC (unless I really, really liked the said game and wanted more).

Then there are ones that are made to screw over customers. Killer Instinct 3 is a game that I feel doesn't use DLC to enhance gamers's experience but to maximize profit at the cost of gamers because it overcharge for not enough contents. This has turned me off from the game and only serve as a reminder that Rare's franchise from pre-Microsoft days are dead to me. Capcom has also done DLCs to screw over customers and it along with Mega Man's exclusion was why I did not get Marvel Vs. Capcom 3. I never buy games that charges for contents that should have been in the final game.

[Level 13: Notifying Niero Now]
    Steam ID
    Everyday Legend
    PSN
    Everyday_Legend
    XBL
    Everyday Legend
    The best example of bad DLC I have ever seen is ACE COMBAT 6: FIRES OF LIBERATION on 360. There are many, many others, but this is the most obvious example in my mind.

I bought the $150 pack for the flightstick. I played that game incessantly for almost a year, and I could never figure out why Ace of Aces difficulty wouldn't unlock. I could see the option there, but could never get it to open up, no matter how I tried (S Ranked all missions on all difficulties, shot down all available enemy aces, etc.).

Well, they eventually released it...as paid DLC. If I'm not mistaken, it was 16 missions at $4 a piece...which meant that I'd be spending another $64 on a game I already spent $150 to play. For a goddamn difficulty level. Not content, mind you - just a fucking difficulty level.

Let's not even get into Katamari Damacy on 360. You can't even get all the achievements in the game without making a large enough Katamari to roll up the universe and score a particular size, and attaining that size is impossible if you haven't downloaded paid levels to pad that size beyond what the game offered.

Good DLC is additional content. Like Red Dead Redemption: Undead Nightmare, or GTA4: Lost And Damned / Ballad Of Gay Tony, even things like the Xtreme Legends expansions for the Dynasty / Samurai Warriors games. Things of that nature - what we used to term expansion packs way back when - is what GOOD DLC is made of.

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    Steam ID
    hermyish
    PSN
    superdimensonal
    XBL
    superdimenson
    I like the theory behind DLC: give players more of a good game that couldn't fit into the final retail package for a nominal fee, stuff like Harley Quinn's Revenge for Arkham City or TWD: 400 Days. Nothing wrong with the premise. It's the execution that's beginning to kill any interest I have in buying new games. Why bother getting a $60 with/without a season pass for 5 DLC packs if the publisher is going to put out a "Complete" or "Ultimate" or "Game of the Year" about half a year later with everything and cheaper to boot? It doesn't help that some companies--coughcoughCAPCOMANDSQUEENIXcoughcough--are utilizing the even more bullshit scheme of on-disc locked DLC or pay for fun model a la Theatrhythm on iOS. What was a great idea has been run right into the ground.

Steam ID
    Everyday Legend
    PSN
    Everyday_Legend
    XBL
    Everyday Legend
    The hammer drives the nail cleanly. Well said, indeed.

Steam ID
    [none]
    PSN
    [none]
    XBL
    [none]
    Quote Originally Posted by hermyish View Post
    I like the theory behind DLC: give players more of a good game that couldn't fit into the final retail package for a nominal fee, stuff like Harley Quinn's Revenge for Arkham City or TWD: 400 Days. Nothing wrong with the premise. It's the execution that's beginning to kill any interest I have in buying new games. Why bother getting a $60 with/without a season pass for 5 DLC packs if the publisher is going to put out a "Complete" or "Ultimate" or "Game of the Year" about half a year later with everything and cheaper to boot? It doesn't help that some companies--coughcoughCAPCOMANDSQUEENIXcoughcough--are utilizing the even more bullshit scheme of on-disc locked DLC or pay for fun model a la Theatrhythm on iOS. What was a great idea has been run right into the ground.
    Season Pass were created with the intention of giving consumers a discount on DLCs, or at least that's what we've been told. Considering that, like you said, these usually get GOTY/Ultimate editions later on, I'm usually hesitant to buy original releases with Season Pass and as such, takes a lot for me to be convinced to get it instead of just waiting until another edition gets released (if at all). I'm especially hesistant with games that deliberately hold back contents to sell off at DLC and uses Season Pass (see Killzone: Shadow Fall with its online co-op). It's disappointing, really. What could have been something good for the game industry has turned into something that could screw uninformed customers over.

As for on-disc DLCs and pay-for-fun model, they can both go to hell. Don't need to describe my hatred for both tactics (along with online passes, which has shut off my interest of games like Arkham City and Assassin Creed IV).

[Level 10: Lobster Milkshake]
    I think Injustice: Gods Among Us is a good example of bad DLC. Not necessarily for the DLC itself, but how they handled it.

-Season pass that doesn't even cover the full amount of DLC.

-They release additional characters and skins after the "Season Pass" was fulfilled.

-Then they trot out their Ultimate Edition.

-Then they announce that they're offering a PS3 to PS4 upgrade system, but it only applies to the Ultimate Edition. Thus the people who bought the original game + DLC get it all crammed up their ass.

Steam ID
    Everyday Legend
    PSN
    Everyday_Legend
    XBL
    Everyday Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephzilla View Post
    -Then they announce that they're offering a PS3 to PS4 upgrade system, but it only applies to the Ultimate Edition. Thus the people who bought the original game + DLC get it all crammed up their ass.
    Really? That's fucked up.

DLC is fantastic when done right. One of the best examples of this is Bethesda and how they handle their DLC. Besides the infamous horse armor shenanigans they have done amazing work when it comes to providing marvelous DLC. Shivering Isle always comes to mind when I think of great DLC, it's something they worked their asses off on after completing the main game. Which I think is key here, DLC in my opinion shouldn't be blatantly obvious. In other words, do not give me DLC that could have been in the final product but you decided to hold onto it and sell it to me later, noting pisses me off more than that practice, and it's has been done before *Cough* Capcom.

The best type of DLC in my opinion is the type that breaths new life into the game, something that gives me the incentive to pick that game up once again. Fallout 3 is another example I can use to justify fantastic DLC, great content that makes me want to go back and revisit that world once again, it works because it was done right. Bad examples include companies like the aforementioned Capcom, placing DLC ON THE DISC and locking it out to sell it to us when they see fit. That is utterly disgusting and the little devil inside of me screams in joy every time I hear about them failing to meet sales expectations; because honestly, they deserve it.

DLC isn't going anywhere any time soon. The best thing we can do as gamers is support great DLC and turn away utter garbage like microtransactions in Dead Space 3. We have to speak with our wallets, it's our only weapon against the giant gaming industry.

Steam ID
    Everyday Legend
    PSN
    Everyday_Legend
    XBL
    Everyday Legend
    But aren't those really just what used to be called Expansion Packs?

[Level 1: Fresh Meat] Neon Nudist's Avatar
    Steam ID
    [none]
    PSN
    the-knight-21
    XBL
    [none]
    DLC in some cases can be a good thing but in most cases DLC just ends up annoying me. Call of Duty for example makes me feel like I am only getting a fraction of the game. I am paying $70 (in Canada) then as I boot the newest edition of COD I see adds for DLC. When it comes to games like Battlefield and COD DLC is nothing more then a money grab and is content that should have been released with the game or made free. However DLC can be good. DLC like Shivering Isles was frickin awesome and added an extra 10 hours of gameplay it really was a worth while purchase. anyways long story short bring back expansions and screw this DLC practice of paying for shit that should have been included.

[Level 9: Chuck Norris]
    PSN
    [none]
    XBL
    [none]
    DLC is great in that it gives you more of the game if you don't want it to be over.

It's just a shame DLC became big in the time of yearly franchises, because really, there is no point to DLC is a similar sequel is out next year anyway.

Also doesn't help that the feeling that a game ended, that the story is over, is taken away with DLC. Especially bad DLC. In most cases it feels like developers just don't have the balls to have endings that try to carry weight or meaning anymore because whenever they try to do that, they "fix" it with DLC. Fallout 3's a good example of it, where they just turn around and go "No, no, that heroic sacrifice didn't happen, you just took a nap." or Fable 3 where the "best ending" crippled gameplay and then DLC made it insubstantial.

I think I actually raged at Mass Effect 3 for grounding Shepard at the start of the game, unaware that this character-breaking event was caused by something major in DLC that's barely even explained or mentioned at all in the game.