Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Nicolas Cage

Nicolas Cage

So guys, I totally watched 8mm last night. Needless to say, Nic Cage was flawless in his performance of a private investigator driven to investigate whether a snuff film is authentic. Any thoughts on the movie or any of Nic's other fabulous films.

Bringer of Truth
    WICKER MAN, MOVIE OF THE FOREVER

NICOLAS CAGE IS THE ACTOR OF OUR GENERATION.

My band has a song that is REALLY called "It's the Bees", after The Wicker Man.

THAT REMAKE WOULD NOT BE HALF THE MOVIE IT IS WITHOUT NIC CAGE.

Jeff Goldblum
    Nic is one of those so bad they're amazing actors. I hate him so bad I have to watch his movies.

Pwnd
    He totally made Ghost Rider for me. It's one of those rare few comic book movies where the secret identity is more awesome than the super hero.

Think about it, man. Most people cover their tattoos to work in an office. This guy covered his Johnny Blaze tattoo so he could portray Johnny Blaze on film.

Nicolas Cage wins at life. FUCK YEAH.

[Level 5: Mech]
    My grandpa took me to see National Treasure when I was 9. I used to love history (and geography) at the time, probably still do. I was floored. This was a lesson in American History and Nic Cage was my teacher. A critic once described that film with "If you can see the film through the eyes of a child -- one who thinks a cheesy thriller is the ideal way to pick up new facts about history -- then this isn't that bad a yarn." Subsequently, I saw Gone in 60 Seconds. Fed my appetite for Muscle Cars. After that, Ghost Rider and Matchstick Man. I was loving this guy.

Then Indiana Jones, Harrison Ford and Puberty hit me. Still, I think if they fit him up in the right roles and he doesn't behave like everything is a matter of national security, he can make for a good lead actor as displayed in Adaptation.

Bringer of Truth
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
    I really like Nic Cage. I don't understand the scathing hatred he's able to incite in people, as even when he's given a completely atrocious script(like The Wickerman), he's able to remain entertaining in someway within it. I don't know of many actors who are willing to depict themselves to the levels of batshit insanity that he regularly explores.
    To be TOTALLY serious, I like and respect the hell out of the man. He changed his last name to not dick-ride the fame, he takes scripts he genuinely likes (HUGE Ghost Rider fan, and honestly the parts of him as Johnny Blaze are FINE.), etc

He just isn't very picky about who is directing or writing the project. He was great as Johnny Blaze, but the horrible CGI, writing, story, other actors, etc killed it.

STOP BEING SERIOUS.

THE BEES.

[Level 5: Mech]
    Quote Originally Posted by ClownBaby View Post
    To be TOTALLY serious, I like and respect the hell out of the man. He changed his last name to not dick-ride the fame.

Yeah, that's true. Though I'll say he may also have been concerned about being labelled as a talentless actor who got what he got because of his family. That's basically what Sofia & Jason Schwartzman got.

Bringer of Truth
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
    Of course, I'm not saying we can't make fun of him. He's definitely really camp, and at his best, he pretty much fully delves into self deprecation; it just seems like a lot of people don't appreciate the difference between Nic Cage and a legitimate b movie actor.

What separates them? I don't know. Nic Cage is a mystery wrapped in an enigma, but it's something. Probably the hair.
    There have been ACTUAL studies done relating the ridiculousness and length of his hair, to the shittyness of the movie.

Jeff Goldblum
    There have been ACTUAL studies done relating the ridiculousness and length of his hair, to the shittyness of the movie.
    Cracked.com qualifies as actual studies?

[Level 11: Spinal Tap]
    This has also been done with Christopher Walken. Apparently, the higher the hairdo, the more batshit insane his perfomance is.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Nic Cage is great. He's not always in the best films but he always gives a good performance regardless of how bad everything else is. The Rock and Lord of War are two of my favourite Cage films.

Sometimes I feel like I'm one of the 10 people on the planet who likes Raising Arizona.

also surprised this thread has gone this long without this vid.

dtoidlove

The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans
    Not many people even know this film exists. It's got a long, confusing name, but it's a good movie. Nic Cage plays a corrupt, drug-addicted cop in N.O. after the hurricane. I expected a shit movie, but i'd say it's one of his best roles. Tied to the original Bad Lieutenant in name only.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1095217/
    Last edited by dr_spaceman__; 07-13-2011 at 12:58 PM. Reason: un-fucking up the bb code

Totally fine with skeezers
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
    Sometimes I feel like I'm one of the 10 people on the planet who likes Raising Arizona.
    I'm one of those ten. As well as about six of my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_spaceman__ View Post
    The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans
    Not many people even know this film exists. It's got a long, confusing name, but it's a good movie. Nic Cage plays a corrupt, drug-addicted cop in N.O. after the hurricane. I expected a shit movie, but i'd say it's one of his best roles. Tied to the original Bad Lieutenant in name only.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1095217/
    I've been meaning to watch that film for a while, but I saw the DVD recently and the only cover they're selling it with (at least in the UK) is this hilariously bad one that makes it look like some stoner comedy. I mean they even have a quote from the Daily Star to top it all off.

I'm aware. I was just lamenting the really inappropriate cover, especially considering the awesome posters we got in the UK when the movie came out

Bad Lieutenant was fantastic, I'd recommend that you see the first one before Werner Herzog's though. There are some drastic differences between the two. They only share the title and the main character's copious drug use.

This? This right here? This is why I don't venture into the forums. Mr Andy Dixon's Avatar

Relevant.

haha that does look like a stoner comedy! i like how they shortened the name so it's the same as the original, nice and confusing.