Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Prey 2

[Level 5: Mech]
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand this interview made me nerd rage some more: http://www.destructoid.com/interview...--204079.phtml

WHY THIS NO LIKE PREY 1?! (Shit's making me turn into Nerd Hulk)

I'm sure it will be a good game, but what the fuck, man? I know making/risking a new IP is something a publisher never/very-rarely does but imagine if your favorite game of all time(no saying this is mine, just using it as an example) got a sequel and it was drastically different from the first. Final Fantasy becoming a FPS, Half-Life becoming a hack-and-slash, Uncharted becoming a sci-fi RTS. Risk in new IP's = Bethesda is trying to make a new IP and plaster a 'recognized brand' on it.

These are just a few examples. Again, if the game is good, great! But my left nut for a true Prey sequel. This is almost like System Shoch 2 -> Bioshock, except Prey 1-to-2 is a greater difference. It's going from an FPS to a GTA/RPG hybrid. Wut:

Prey 2 = Open World
    Prey 2 = 'Player-choice/consequences'
    Prey 2 = Player kidnapped by aliens and somehow arrives on a planet that looks like a Star Wars Cantina scene, is now Boba Fett.
    ---
    Prey 1 = Linear (which is not bad, per se) experience
    Prey 1 = Zero player choice/consequence(again, not bad if the game is good, which Prey 1 was)
    Prey 1 = Player kidnapped by aliens and is simply trying to save his girlfriend, is now a ***SPOILER***god***SPOILER***

This? This right here? This is why I don't venture into the forums. Mr Andy Dixon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rammstein View Post
    I'm sure it will be a good game, but what the fuck, man? I know making/risking a new IP is something a publisher never/very-rarely does but imagine if your favorite game of all time(no saying this is mine, just using it as an example) got a sequel and it was drastically different from the first. Final Fantasy becoming a FPS, Half-Life becoming a hack-and-slash, Uncharted becoming a sci-fi RTS. Risk in new IP's = Bethesda is trying to make a new IP and plaster a 'recognized brand' on it.
    That's a bit dramatic, don't you think? I mean, Prey 2 is still a sci-fi FPS at its core.

This is more akin to, say, if the sequel to Half-Life had added completely new characters (Breen, Mossman, etc.), a completely new antagonist (the Combine, and the Vortigaunts are now our friends? What?), new technology (gravity gun), wide-open and sprawling vehicle sections, and had taken place in a completely different setting (cities, forests, beaches, etc. as opposed to Black Mesa, and decades into the future).

Oh, wait. That happened! (And Half-Life 2 is my favorite game of all time, FYI.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rammstein View Post
    These are just a few examples. Again, if the game is good, great! But my left nut for a true Prey sequel. This is almost like System Shoch 2 -> Bioshock, except Prey 1-to-2 is a greater difference. It's going from an FPS to a GTA/RPG hybrid. Wut:

Prey 2 = Open World
    Prey 2 = 'Player-choice/consequences'
    Prey 2 = Player kidnapped by aliens and somehow arrives on a planet that looks like a Star Wars Cantina scene, is now Boba Fett.

---

Prey 1 = Linear (which is not bad, per se) experience
    Prey 1 = Zero player choice/consequence(again, not bad if the game is good, which Prey 1 was)
    Prey 1 = Player kidnapped by aliens and is simply trying to save his girlfriend, is now a ***SPOILER***god***SPOILER***
    Alien = directed by Ridley Scott
    Alien = horror movie
    Alien = solitary antagonist
    Alien = takes place almost solely on a spaceship

Aliens = created by a completely new team (James Cameron)
    Aliens = action movie
    Aliens = hundreds of antagonists
    Aliens = takes place on a planet

Damn, that sounds pretty different! In fact, the only thing tying the two movies together are the Xenomorphs (which have changed a bit) and Ripley!

So... should Aliens not have been made?

Look, Prey 2 is being made by the SAME developer, includes some of the SAME characters (including Tommy), features some of the SAME technology seen in the original (including portals), and takes place in the SAME universe. It's still an FPS, with some added gameplay elements that the designers of the original Prey felt would be a good fit for the universe they created.

Sounds like a sequel to me!

3. 06-19-2011, 12:25 PM

This? This right here? This is why I don't venture into the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by mrandydixon View Post
    Alien = directed by Ridley Scott
    Alien = horror movie
    Alien = solitary antagonist
    Alien = takes place almost solely on a spaceship

Aliens = created by a completely new team (James Cameron)
    Aliens = action movie
    Aliens = hundreds of antagonists
    Aliens = takes place on a planet

Damn, that sounds pretty different! In fact, the only thing tying the two movies together are the Xenomorphs (which have changed a bit) and Ripley!

So... should Aliens not have been made?

Sounds like a sequel to me!
    This.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...cancelled.aspx

Hope this doesn't get cancelled, I liked the first Prey but welcome the changes the development team is making. I like the alien noire vibe, not to mention the idea of going all Boba Fett on some aliens makes me wet. Hoping against hope that this is just a rumor.

I hope this doesn't go either. Really interested in this. The game looks quite awesome.

Honkey Kong
    Prey 1 was meh at best. This one looks interesting.

I really hope it's not cancelled. It looked so awesome in those trailers.

I hope it's not canceled as well, it looked like a good sleeper hit

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    It really breaks my heart that it might get canceled. This was easily the biggest surprise for me at PAX Prime '11. I had never heard of it before, stumbled across a gameplay demo and instantly fell in love. If I have to march in front of the studio in my two sizes too small Prey 2 tshirt, I will dammit.

[Level 12: CHET]
    Prey 2 looks like it has potential to be one of the best games of the year. I'll be really disappointed if I never get to play it, but more surprised that they just scrapped it after already spending so much money to develop it. Honestly I think that the studio could be gearing up for a next-gen launch. Check out their website: http://www.humanhead.com/ What kind of studio cancels a game and is hiring for that many positions?
    Last edited by Sam Spectre; 03-31-2012 at 07:27 PM.