Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Far Cry 3

Finished this. Haven't 100% completed it but I did anything that mattered in the game. I think my favourite part of this game is how there's no unbelievably weak part of the story. Considering the size of the game it all went nicely from start to finish. I was expecting some bullshit moment to happen but it never did. It wasn't too predictable either.

[Level 5: Mech]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir Legendhead View Post
    Well gosh. It's always about the cock with you people.
    I mean it is, "Also, cocks." isn't it?

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Was thinking about Redboxing this to see if I could stomach all the screen tearing and framerate drops.

[Level 6: Robot]
    I didn't really have any problems with either of those things, fps never dropped below 30 and with vsync it was all good.

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    I'm enjoying this game immensly at the moment, I have rented it so haven't got the online code, do you guys think it's worth picking up a online code on ebay, is the online any good?

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorilla Gravy View Post
    Was thinking about Redboxing this to see if I could stomach all the screen tearing and framerate drops.
    This is the best description of a menstrual cycle I've ever read in my life.

[Level 3: Humanoid] arglactable's Avatar
    I love how they took Far Cry 2, removed most of the interesting parts of it, and added a bunch of stale shit from as many high-selling AAA sandbox games they could manage. You would think adding detail would make the world seem more alive, but it just seems like a big sandbox with bunch of pointless toys for gamers with no attention span to be distracted by. The hunting is shallow and stupid, the RPG elements seem to just be there so they could put "Skyrim with guns" on the cover, the loot boxes every 10 feet are tedious and add absolutely nothing of worth to the experience, the side activities are pointless padding, and the main story missions are linear series of set pieces that pretty much force you to play the game in specific ways each mission, undermining what actually makes the game fun to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by arglactable View Post
    I love how they took Far Cry 2, removed most of the interesting parts of it, and added a bunch of stale shit from as many high-selling AAA sandbox games they could manage.
    Removed most of the interesting parts of Far Cry 2? Like what exactly? The only thing taken away from Far Cry 2 that was actually good was how the map didn't require the game to be paused. If you want to say the mediocre story, repetitive missions, boring range of weapons, monologue scenes, malaria, ridiculously fast spawning enemies and brown environment were some of the greatest bits of Far Cry 2 then tell me so I can laugh at you.
    You would think adding detail would make the world seem more alive, but it just seems like a big sandbox with bunch of pointless toys for gamers with no attention span to be distracted by.
    Entertainment itself is a distraction from life. Adding content and varied areas to explore like caves, Japanese bunkers and ancient Chinese temples is a good thing by the way.
    The hunting is shallow and stupid
    Nope. Hunting is needed to craft items giving the player the ability to hold more weapons and ammo. Each craftable item needs a different kind of hide which makes use of the varied wildlife the game has including land and water based predators. This is as deep hunting will get in a game.
    the RPG elements seem to just be there so they could put "Skyrim with guns" on the cover
    Adding more depth to a game by adding RPG elements to give the player a more involved experience has been a thing developers have done long before Skyrim. Skill progression, crafting and customisation aren't limited to just conventional RPGs.
    the loot boxes every 10 feet are tedious and add absolutely nothing of worth to the experience
    Are you saying collecting the diamonds in Far Cry 2 wasn't tedious? lol. Most people see the worth in being able to purchase weapons, ammo and weapon attachments. I guess they're just crazy.
    the side activities are pointless padding
    Far Cry 2 has side missions and activities too. The difference is with Far Cry 3 they increased the variety of missions and the sheer number of activities to do. Far Cry 2 missions were either bomb a convoy or kill a guy, copy pasted several times in different areas of the map.
    the main story missions are linear series of set pieces that pretty much force you to play the game in specific ways each mission, undermining what actually makes the game fun to begin with.
    You have a point, some of the missions can be linear. Only some though and for the most part the game doesn't care what you do unless you do something to fail the mission. Far Cry 2 let you try to play through a mission however you wanted somewhat. The problem is the stealth mechanic was basic and pretty much broken. Given how little weapons you have a firefight will go pretty much the same way every time. Far Cry 2 might have tried to give you a better illusion of choice but the basic gameplay limited your options. Stealth actually works in Far Cry 3 either range or close up.

Normally I wouldn't bother replying to this as it's not worth my time but how wrong you are on every part of what you say warranted a response so well done I guess.

Here's a picture of a red panda looking heroic to lighten the mood.

[Level 6: Robot]
    Oh snap.

Pwnd
    The main thing I dislike is the first person perspective. Just can not get used to that for some reason. I'm used to having 360 degrees of peripheral vision. FPSs make me feel like I'm wearing blinders or something.

I also wish I could see the main character. It would be so much easier to relate to the guy if he were visible.

You can increase the FOV if that bothers you on PC.

Pwnd
    I'm on Xbox. It'd be awesome if they had a Fallout thing where you could switch between 1st and 3rd person.

I can appreciate their choice to keep to first person. You can tell they put a lot of time into creating all these lovely animations for people to see in first person. Dammit if I made animations that good I'd be forcing everyone to watch it.

Pwnd
    Oh yeah, don't get me wrong, I like the game. This isn't even a Far Cry 3 complaint, it's more like an observation on personal...perception, I guess you could call it. I couldn't get into Dishonored either for pretty much exactly the same reason.

Everything else is great though. And they do put the FPS thing to really good use, with the mindfuck perspective changes and such. Idk if you saw my post in What Are You Playing but I especially enjoyed the scene in the mushroom cave, where you seamlessly transition from climbing up a vine to walking straight ahead on a level surface. That was pretty great.

People usually get motion sickness from games in first person more too. It's a shame.

Pwnd
    I never get that. I just hate the lack of peripheral vison. Driving a car is nearly impossible for me in this game. Man I can't wait 'til that Oculus VR thing comes out. The Sir really could use one of those.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Optical implants are the future, after we get contact lens screens. http://gajitz.com/bionic-vision-cybe...ds-up-display/

Pwnd
    Gawd that really is scary as hell. We should just cut out the middleman and become psychic. :P

[Level 3: Humanoid] arglactable's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Hatman View Post
    Removed most of the interesting parts of Far Cry 2? Like what exactly? The only thing taken away from Far Cry 2 that was actually good was how the map didn't require the game to be paused. If you want to say the mediocre story, repetitive missions, boring range of weapons, monologue scenes, malaria, ridiculously fast spawning enemies and brown environment were some of the greatest bits of Far Cry 2 then tell me so I can laugh at you.
    Spoiler!

Entertainment itself is a distraction from life. Adding content and varied areas to explore like caves, Japanese bunkers and ancient Chinese temples is a good thing by the way.
    Spoiler!

Nope. Hunting is needed to craft items giving the player the ability to hold more weapons and ammo. Each craftable item needs a different kind of hide which makes use of the varied wildlife the game has including land and water based predators. This is as deep hunting will get in a game.
    Spoiler!

Adding more depth to a game by adding RPG elements to give the player a more involved experience has been a thing developers have done long before Skyrim. Skill progression, crafting and customization aren't limited to just conventional RPGs.
    Spoiler!

Are you saying collecting the diamonds in Far Cry 2 wasn't tedious? lol. Most people see the worth in being able to purchase weapons, ammo and weapon attachments. I guess they're just crazy.
    Spoiler!

Far Cry 2 has side missions and activities too. The difference is with Far Cry 3 they increased the variety of missions and the sheer number of activities to do. Far Cry 2 missions were either bomb a convoy or kill a guy, copy pasted several times in different areas of the map.
    Spoiler!

You have a point, some of the missions can be linear. Only some though and for the most part the game doesn't care what you do unless you do something to fail the mission. Far Cry 2 let you try to play through a mission however you wanted somewhat. The problem is the stealth mechanic was basic and pretty much broken. Given how little weapons you have a firefight will go pretty much the same way every time. Far Cry 2 might have tried to give you a better illusion of choice but the basic gameplay limited your options. Stealth actually works in Far Cry 3 either range or close up.
    Spoiler!

Normally I wouldn't bother replying to this as it's not worth my time but how wrong you are on every part of what you say warranted a response so well done I guess.
    Spoiler!

Pwnd
    FC3 > Dishonored