Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: DayZ (Standalone)

DayZ (Standalone)

Salida,
    sooo apparently we don't have a thread to this? How can this be, seeing how large the fanbase seems to be?

I would like to know: is anyone here actually playing it? I'm eyeing it for weeks now, because I really like the freedom you apparently have there (tying someone to things, force feed them stuff - things you simply can't do in other games). But I'm not sure to buy it, seeing as it is still Alpha and stuff.
    So... any DayZ players here? Maybe enough to form a DToid gang?

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    Played a few times but I've been waiting for a bunch of friends to form a consistent group before I dedicate my time. I'm down for being part of a Dtoid gang, shit'll be rad.

Can you tell me how far the "freedom" actually goes? I mean, stuff like the aforementioned chaining people somewhere and leaving them etc. sounds pretty cool. But how far does this go? Because there must be a limit somewhere.

To be honest I have no idea. I've played around 8 hours and the majority of that was running and looting. With the amount of new stuff brought in from newish versions of the mod and SA features to me at least, makes me have to learn the majority of the game mechanics again.

I do know however, that you can force feed people rotten food and there is a chance that they'll get
    sick from it and eventually die from food poisoning if they don't seek treatment.

Yeah. I already read that in the Steam reviews. That alone almost makes it a must buy.

Juice Box
    Quote Originally Posted by Obstratis View Post
    Played a few times but I've been waiting for a bunch of friends to form a consistent group before I dedicate my time. I'm down for being part of a Dtoid gang, shit'll be rad.
    I bought it, but have only played it a few times as well. Really just waiting for cars, lol. Fucking sucks walking everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by pk fire View Post
    I bought it, but have only played it a few times as well. Really just waiting for cars, lol. Fucking sucks walking everywhere.
    Forgot about the cars, kinda wish I still did. Also when I die, I just blare random ass music
    from my phone to screw with people until I want to play for real.

I was finally convinced to buy it

Downloading right now.

Quote Originally Posted by OpiumHerz View Post
    I was finally convinced to buy it

Downloading right now.
    ONE OF US. ONE OF US.

Hit me up when you wanna play man. Going to bed in a bit though.

Fin Sahrot Dovahkodaav
    You should keep a counter for how long until you get murdered.

I think I'll be the one doing the murdering around here.

[Level 3: Humanoid]
    I've always been interested in DayZ since I first heard about the original mod in one of the very early builds. I wouldn't be able to play it with my current PC though, since it was originally bought to be used as a cheap computer to connect to the Internet in 2007 or so. I've been thinking about just buying a new one that could run most of this stuff for years, but the Steam Machines have me interested so I'll probably wait to see how those turn out.

Right now I have mostly problems finding even other players. I founds some once or twice. Once I got axed, once I got shot (I just restarted - fml) and the other time I robbed the poor sucker. But the map is fucking huge. 40 players is simply too less.

It really intrigues me how much people like to roleplay with this game (youll see tons of it if you do a video search for DayZ). Like even people who would normally make fun of role playing do it in this game and if you told them they were they'd probably deny it. I guess it's the zombie premise that everyone has fantasies about. It's pretty cute actually.

I might pick it up down the road, my computer couldn't run the original, how does this one fair as far as requirements go?

[Level 6: Robot]
    I would love to play it. I'm really loving the videos online. Lots of weird stuff going on. I don't think my PC can run it, though. I would have to check.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
    I've been thinking about just buying a new one that could run most of this stuff for years, but the Steam Machines have me interested so I'll probably wait to see how those turn out.
    I'm not entirely sure that a native Linux/SteamOS version is in the works or has been planned so you'd be waiting a while there more than likely. With the SteamBoxes, you can buy good hardware or a prebuilt PC for a decent/better price compared to the SteamBoxes.

Quote Originally Posted by OpiumHerz View Post
    Right now I have mostly problems finding even other players. I founds some once or twice. Once I got axed, once I got shot (I just restarted - fml) and the other time I robbed the poor sucker. But the map is fucking huge. 40 players is simply too less.
    You'll want to avoid players for as long as you can unfortunately, majority of them have the urge to kill or rob you. Doesn't mean that you won't meet nice folk either though. The server cap will be increasing as the netcode/server capabilities are stablised, so you won't have to worry about that forever.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    From what I understand (don't own the game, laptop is bad) people seem to go with a trust no one approach and to screw others over before it happens to themselves. Very interesting

[Level 9: Chuck Norris]

Pwnd
    Is this the game ppl were boycotting and got taken off Steam? Also where are the zombies? Rev? That isn't our rev right? Is he dead?

No. This is the game that's the original. The one that got boycotted because it was so bad and a ripoff is now called "Survivor Diaries" or something like that.