Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Resistance Series Thread

Frodo Bangins

Resistance Series Thread

Didn't see a thread for this, R3 is probably going to have a lot dedicated to it at e3 this year (I'm guessing) Figured I'd get this thread started.

Just finished the first game and starting the second now.

Also I want to see more games with awesome Teaser ads like R3

Wow, there was a bit of the Wilhelm Scream in there.
    This makes me so much better than Gyrael.

Frodo Bangins
    Haha! I didn't notice it the first time. at least its all played with.

[Level 5: Mech]
    Yeah I really loved that ad too. Sets the mood for what is to come. I kind of wish they made a mini-series based on the game now.

I hope there some form of R2's coop mode in the new game. I'm pretty disappointed they took out the 8-player mode as that was probably my favourite thing about R2.

I still have yet to play R1 but I'll probably pick it up in the Resistance bundle when it drops in the summer.

Frodo Bangins
    Im liking 2 alot more than the first. and by the end of the first I really liked it.

I enjoyed R2's campaign a lot. Good action, varied locales and awesome bosses. I mostly want to play the first one just so I know exactly what is going on in the series. And to say that I've played all of them.

There's a lot of people that liked R1 more, but there's also quite a bit that like R2 over the first. I'm just hoping that R3 becomes the undisputed favourite when it's all said and done.

I've only played 1 and enjoyed it except for the load times. and sometimes I just need a boss with some weak points. i like bosses. big bosses. Resistance 2 might be my next game.

Frodo Bangins
    If you like big bosses Resistance 2 may be the game for you. there are some pretty big bosses so far. I'm just starting chapter 3. weak spots are still a little bit of an issue. I know the first boss has them but the second didn't seem to.

So who here has early access to the beta?

[Level 8: Skynet]
    The 1st ones AI put me to sleep. They just charged you in a straight line, after that I didn't try the 2nd since I had heard bad things about it. Honestly this series seems like a half hearted effort by Sony to break into the FPS market that never panned out for various reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Collins View Post
    The 1st ones AI put me to sleep. They just charged you in a straight line, after that I didn't try the 2nd since I had heard bad things about it. Honestly this series seems like a half hearted effort by Sony to break into the FPS market that never panned out for various reasons.
    You can't fault Insomniac too much. They didn't have a whole lot of expereince with FPS games at the time. But for one of the earliest games on the PS3 and a brand new IP, Resistance: Fall of man was a pretty damn good game. I say rent the second one and give it a shot. It is much better than the first one, but there are some loyalists to the original that would disagree. Kind of hard to base an opinion off of what you hear when some people think its better while others think it isn't.

Seriously, give it a rent and try it for yourself. Single player was a lot more fun and the multiplayer is a little more unique compared to other FPS games you can get for the PS3. But if the AI is your major complaint, then the third installment might be the game for you. The AI in the game is getting a complete and tactical overhaul from what I read.

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    I might actually be interested in this one if they keep that deep south rhythm n blues aesthetic they have going in that teaser.

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    People who liked 1 a lot tended not to like 2 so much, but people who felt let down by 1 liked 2 a lot. I liked them both a lot, but prefer 2. It sounds like 3 takes my favorite parts of both and melds them.

King of Ties 'n' Gifs 'n' Shit
    Quote Originally Posted by A_Faceless_Name View Post
    People who liked 1 a lot tended not to like 2 so much, but people who felt let down by 1 liked 2 a lot. I liked them both a lot, but prefer 2. It sounds like 3 takes my favorite parts of both and melds them.
    I liked 1 and 2 as well but I give the edge to #2 as the online was amazing! I sunk many, many hours into leveling all my characters up and enjoyed the online co-op.

I REALLY hope #3 rocks the same online aspect as #2

[Level 4: Cyborg]
    Co-op was amazing, but I stopped when they kept "fixing" the medic, and made it almost useless.

This? This right here? This is why I don't venture into the forums. Mr Andy Dixon's Avatar
    I take it by the fact that this thread's been dead for a while that not a lot of people bought this

Review looks great, though: http://www.destructoid.com/review-re...3-212008.phtml

I'll definitely be renting it as soon as I can!

Pwnd
    I bought it.

I've played a lot of console FPSes. This is definitely in my top 3, from a technical standpoint. It has serious Half Life 2 vibes to it. I have to say, it doesn't do anything really new per se, but what it does do, it does better than 90% of games, and then some. They just hit all the basics so right.

Also: Best single player in a FPS, rivaling even Half Life 2.

One thing I wish Jim hit on in the review is just how fun and original and well done the single player actually is, and I'm surprised he didn't mention that all the guns have levels and exp for them, allowing them to be instantly upgraded by using them more often. That, and the limited health, the visuals, the feel...you have to play it to understand, it really nails the basics in every category. That, and how you're just an ant in comparison to everything. It achieves such a scale I have never seen pulled off in a game. And this is from someone who really does not care for FPS single player campaigns.

My other thing though is that, personally, I'm just worn out from the typical multiplayer setup. I'm more of a Battlefield fiend these days, only because I've really played the shit out of the arena-type online configuration.

But I do find myself coming back to it, despite that orientation.

Nor was I ever even a fan of the original games. In fact, I owned both, and could not stomach to finish them.

I would love to give it a 10, but as I mentioned: It doesn't necessarily do anything new. There are a lot of things which have not been seen in a while, concepts and conventions which have been abandoned by most games and brought back with a stunning success in this instance, but still not anything we haven't already seen. I think 10s should be reserved for games which truly add and present new, successful ideas and possibilities to the collective experience. A 9, or maybe even an 8 if the install and updates bug you, is pretty accurate.
    Last edited by Revuhlooshun; 09-22-2011 at 08:52 PM.

This? This right here? This is why I don't venture into the forums. Mr Andy Dixon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Revuhlooshun View Post
    Best single player in a FPS, rivaling even Half Life 2.
    Well fuck. That's all I really needed to hear. (And I've heard it from several people now.)

I wasn't a fan of the first two games (played both until about the half-way point and was just bored), but everything about this looks good. I'll definitely rent it for the single-player, and I might keep it for the multiplayer.

Thanks for the info!

I was hoping to get this soon but school costs are adding up quick >__< I really, really want the Doomsday Edition since so many games are now supporting Move. Dammit Rev, you're making this hard on me!! Haha!

I still mourn the loss of 8-player coop mode. You would think Insomniac would have realized how popular it was....unless they're saving all the good stuff for Overstrike.

Pwnd
    Did I mention the game comes with a free Choco Taco when you buy it new?

Another measure to fight used game sales.