OH, forums | Destructoid | Tomopop | Japanator | Flixist | LUMP

Thread: Forum Rules and New User Posting Guide

Forum Rules and New User Posting Guide

[Note: This is a living document, we will update this constantly. -July 29, 2015]

Welcome to the OH Community!

Before you post we strongly urge you to look over our Terms of Service. We're part of a network of sites called the ModernMethod Blog Network that tries its very best to be open and inclusive to everyone, no matter who or where you are.

Basically, don't be a dick.

Guide for New Users:

It's strongly recommended that you make an intro thread in the Meet & Greet section. If you don't, we'll nag you mercilessly until you do. Tell us about yourself: your favorite video games, your hobbies, criminal record, STD test results, anything you think makes you a unique snowflake. This helps us get to know you and speeds your integration into the community. Unlike many other forums, we actually care about that sort of thing here. If you don't know what to write, take a look at some of the other intro threads to get an idea of what we're looking for in your introduction.

New users are subject to a moderation period. This is to help cut down on the amount of spammers and trolls sucking up the place. Your initial posts may go to a queue to await moderator approval, and Private Messaging will be disabled until you reach 10 posts. Keep in mind if you make edits to approved posts while you're still in the moderation period, your post will be sent back into the queue. You will also be branded with Reggie Fils-Aimeat, the patron saint of Destructoid Forum noobs. His hideous visage will disappear once you graduate from Fresh Meat status.

You want stinking badges? We have them! Badges act similar to Achievements or Trophies on the Forums. A complete list of all current badges and how to earn them can be found here. If you've met the requirements for a badge, post your evidence in the Badge Request thread. If you have any ideas for new badges, please share them in the Badge Ideas Thread. Keep in mind if the idea isn't related to Destructoid, the community, Dtoid-related memes, or video games, we probably aren't interested in making it a badge.

You'll notice some users have custom titles below their name. Another community member must suggest a title for you, these usually relate to Forum in-jokes. The longer you hang around and get to know the people here, the more likely it is someone will recommend a title for you. You may reserve the right to refuse any suggested titles if you so wish.

While you're just starting out treat this place like you would if you were a guest in someone else's house. Take some time to get the feel of the community and how it operates before you start tracking your muddy shoes all over. If you're confused, ask questions. If one of the longtime members calls you out on your behavior and tries to explain how things work around here, it's probably in your best interest to pay attention to them. Acting like a thin-skinned, egotistical blowhard right out of the gate won't win you any friends.

If you have an issue that requires the attention of a moderator, please use the Report Post feature. At the bottom of every post you'll see a small icon (the triangle with an exclamation point), click on this to send a message to the Mod team. This will notify us of any problems so we can address them in a timely fashion. If you need to contact the Mods before you are granted access to PMs, please use the Contact Us link at the bottom left of the Forums.

Your Forum Moderation team is Jon Bloodspray, Mr Andy Dixon, Nihil, panchromatic, and OpiumHerz. If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, please contact one of us and we'll do our best to assist you.

Hugs & Kisses: The Mods
    Last edited by Octopus Prima; 07-29-2015 at 05:16 AM. Reason: Universal ToS for great justice

Destructoid Forums Rules and New User Posting Guide

You are not right. I am assured. I suggest it to discuss. Write to me in PM, we will communicate.

Quote Originally Posted by Monochromnus View Post
    You are not right. I am assured. I suggest it to discuss. Write to me in PM, we will communicate.
    Totes right brah

5,960 posts since Mar 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Monochromnus View Post
    I agree. And. Incline to talk using my eyebrows.