Thread: PC Gamepad Question (Motioninjoy)

[Level 5: Mech]

PC Gamepad Question (Motioninjoy)

so I found this program for the PC called Motioninjoy, that supposedly allows you to use your PS3 controller with the PC. I searched the forums and couldn't find anything on it already.

Anybody have any experience with this program? is it safe? I feel like this could be some kind of trap.

and just so this thread isn't a one-trick-pony, what gamepads, if any, do you guys use on your PC's?

Admin / Midget King
    I used a wired 360 controller on my PC, pretty much everything supports it.

Admin / Midget King
    If you go that route, get one of the official MS controllers. Not all of the 3rd party ones work on PC for some reason. You can also get a receiver to make wireless 360 gamepads work with your PC, which also comes in a package bundled with a controller if you don't already have one.

Jeff Goldblum
    I've tried to make it work but no luck though I friend of mine could. I just bought a logitech controller and it's better then the 360 controller. It comes with software so you can customize all the controls so you can use it with any game.

[Level 6: Robot]
    I got a Splitfish Evo controller, reduced from 80 to 15. Crazy eh.

Turns out it's not great. it needs AAA batteries, and lots of them and doesn't seem to work with many games.

It works fine on Super Meat boy, but on L4D2 moving the analogue stick left/right turns, as it should, but up/down are like fire and jump, and there doesn't seem to be any way to customise the controlls.

Also tried to use it on GTA4, but no dice. All the control pad options in that GFWL bitch are for Xbox controller and it doesn't seem to even aknowledge any other pads.

So i ordered a wireless dongle for my xbox controller, which has yet to arrive.

I also tried plugging my PS3 controller straight into my Sony Viao PC (which has built in PS3 connectivity for Remote play and Keyboard sharing) - it shows up as a device, not any device a "Dualshock game controller," but doesn't seem to do anything.

Bit of a pain really trying to get a game pad hooked up to my PC. Also has no video outs at all, so hooking it up to my TV is going to be a pain in the arse.

So yeah, i might try that motionjoy software too.

[Level 1: Fresh Meat]
    I use it for SMB and it works fine, but it's worked best for me when set to emulate a 360 controller.

So Motioninjoy is safe, it just might not work?

I might as well give it a try, see if I can save the minor annoyance of having to use my wireless logitech controller dongles with my laptop.

as long as it's safe. can't hurt to try, right?

Jeff Goldblum
    Yup it's safe.

I use the this niffy PSX to USB. I got from radio shake for like 9 dollars. The nubs and vibes work great.
    I mainly use it for FF online and some emulator games.

f_adapterm_c036d09.jpg

I don't think that's going to work very well with a PS3 controller.... however if you do have DS2 still, USB adapters for those are cheap and it's a better controller than a DS3 anyways.

[Level 1: Fresh Meat]
    I use the Logitech G13 gamepad. You still use a mouse, but it has a little analog stick that replaces the WASD keys. I love it, especially since I'm used to playing with console gamepads.

[Level 2: Human]
    works fine I also use it for my ps3 controller and I use it in combination with x360ce it's almost fully compatible this way though I did have some problems with bluetooth other than that it works great including rumble

If you absolutely have to use a gamepad I'd just go with the wired 360 controller. Otherwise I'd learn the nuance of the mouse & keyboard.

Jeff Goldblum
    Quote Originally Posted by Arch649 View Post
    If you absolutely have to use a gamepad I'd just go with the wired 360 controller. Otherwise I'd learn the nuance of the mouse & keyboard.
    Does it come with a software to map controls to each game? All logitech accessories on the PC have that and it's pretty sweet.

i got a 360 controller wireless PC dongle from Hong Kong for 7.

After a little driver fuckery (doesn't work straight off on 64bit Win 7) it works like a charm!!

Although, I could now do with a 2nd 360 controller, and i'm thinking I should have just bought a wired one and used for both 360 and PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber Altair View Post
    Does it come with a software to map controls to each game? All logitech accessories on the PC have that and it's pretty sweet.
    There are third party drivers (XBCD) that you can use. But most modern PC games support it right out of the box, so you can tweak it in-game.

Quote Originally Posted by Arch649 View Post
    well I got motioninjoy to work, so it's not a big deal anymore.

but yeah, keyboard is not ideal for super meat boy. which is why I was looking.