Page 186 of 339 FirstFirst ... 86 136 176 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 196 236 286 ... LastLast
Results 3,701 to 3,720 of 6776

Thread: Politics thread

Still responds to BLOO
    Quote Originally Posted by Revuhlooshun View Post
    I don't know man. 20+ kids and couple of adults just got executed at point blank range in an elementary school. Seemed close enough to get the job done.

I'll take the knife.

Re: Knife lethality:

There are some issues with those mortality rates:

http://scienceblogs.com/deltoid/1993.../knives-00000/
    And plus, Michael Douglas didn't care in Falling Down and look what happened there.

What if he stopped caring with a knife, all we would have had was a bunch of sandwhiches and buttered toast.

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by SchildConstruct View Post
    With an assault rifle. Not something that is all that common. With a caliber specifically aimed at stopping soldiers in body armor. If you put that through a kid, the kinetic force is enough to kill an elementary school kid.

Did we move the goalpost enough yet? Or do we want to bring up gatling guns, too? What about anti-materiel rifles?
    The only person moving goalposts is you--never once were caliber or firearm type ever specified. You introduced these qualifiers, not me. Also, "assault rifles" are legal, gatling guns are not. Not that any of this matters though: I wouldn't want to take a .22 to the face at close range, let alone a 9mm or a .45. Pick any size bullet that you want, and I still wouldn't want to eat it for breakfast. You can find plenty of stories of dudes blowing their brains out while fucking around a .22.

But I guess that bullets aren't that hazardous to your health if you say so. I'll take the knife just to be safe though.

Still responds to BLOO
    The only person moving goalposts is you--never once were caliber or firearm type ever specified. Also, assault rifles are legal, gatling guns are not. Not that it matters though: I wouldn't want to take a .22 to the face, let alone a 9mm or a .45.

But I guess bullets aren't that hazardous to your health if you say so. I'll take the knife just to be safe though.
    What about Detroit, where like 70% of homicides go without justice served. Where's the guns4cash rallies, where's the burning of violent videogames two towns over in Michigan. Where's the outcry from random ass "I have learned enough about the world" dudes such as yourself lobbying for gun gestapo tortilini camps on videogame forums. How much did it cost to get your lobby suit tailored.

When did it become okay to value some lives as more important than others, is the serious question.

Pwnd
    $45 with a coupon that I got from one of those Money Savers in the mail.

knows stuff and things.
    The only person moving goalposts is you--never once were caliber or firearm type ever specified. You introduced these qualifiers, not me.
    Read my posts again. I didn't specify any situation at all.

Also, "assault rifles" are legal, gatling guns are not.
    Civilian versions of assault rifles are legal (in the US), which are semi-automatic. One trigger pull, one round downrange. Legality, BTW, wasn't brought up by me, either.

Pwnd
    You're the one getting picky about assault rifles being used as an example. My comment was on bullets in general, not on a specific type of bullet from a specific type of weapon.

I never claimed that you brought up legality--that was my argument as to why gatling guns wouldn't be brought up and why there was no equivalence to them. It's not very difficult to get your hands on an "assault rifle" either these days--they're more common than you make them out to be, though the term itself is vague and thus difficult to quantify with no standard definition available.

One bullet at close range is enough to fuck up anybody's day, regardless of if the gun is semi-automatic or not. Like I said: It's real easy to find stories of dudes scrambling their brains with a single .22 round. You cite the ammunition at Newtown as being military grade (and thus an exception), but .22s are reported to kill more people than any other caliber in use due to their widespread availability. There's more at play here than size of bullet vs. size of target as well: .22s like to bounce around a bit inside the body, or they break apart and shred.

When given the choice, a knife seems less fatal and easier to run from than a bullet. These "small targets" appear to be large enough to catch even the smallest of bullets up close.
    Last edited by Revuhlooshun; 01-08-2013 at 05:01 AM.

Still responds to BLOO
    $45 with a coupon that I got from one of those Money Savers in the mail.
    "You're going to like the way you corrupt, I guarantee it."

Pwnd
    Did I mention that I got a sport coat for free with my purchase?

Fuck the little guy.

Pwnd
    Call Time For Congress Shows How Fundraising Dominates Bleak Work Life

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2427291.html

The daily schedule prescribed by the Democratic leadership contemplates a nine or 10-hour day while in Washington. Of that, four hours are to be spent in "call time" and another hour is blocked off for "strategic outreach," which includes fundraisers and press work. An hour is walled off to "recharge," and three to four hours are designated for the actual work of being a member of Congress -- hearings, votes, and meetings with constituents. If the constituents are donors, all the better. The presentation assured members that their fundraising would be closely monitored; the Federal Election Commission requires members to file quarterly reports.

Congressional hearings and fundraising duties often conflict, and members of Congress have little difficulty deciding between the two -- occasionally even raising money from the industry covered by the hearings they skip. It is considered poor form in Congress -- borderline self-indulgent -- for a freshman to sit at length in congressional hearings when the time could instead be spent raising money. Even members in safe districts are expected to keep up the torrid fundraising pace, so that they can contribute to vulnerable colleagues.

Still responds to BLOO
    What if guns shot small knives

what then

Pwnd
    Then I wouldn't have to pay an ass-ton of money for decent steak knives. I wouldn't even need steak knives anymore, I could just use my gun to eat.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Firing sharpened projectiles. Bloo's onto something.

Pwnd
    Onto a copy of Dead Space, maybe.

Still responds to BLOO

This has to be just one lone nut, and the rest of the board at AIG tells this clown to shut the fuck up and move on. There is no way they'll all try this shit.

Pwnd
    The board met yesterday. The dude is on his own on this one. At least he'll get his 15 minutes.

I'm having one of those days were the feminist/LGBT-positive person in me wants to Hulk Smash a so-called "ally."

Protip: When i'd rather listen to conservatives talk about social issues than your "tolerance" - you're doing tolerance wrong. Its not about you "not seeing" race, sex, gender, sexuality, etc - but acknowledging, respecting, being educated on the differences and how the treatment of those differences affects people. Knowing one person that was slighted for some petty thing doesn't make you a open-minded white knight ready to serve out justice - it makes you someone I want to punch.

Tolerance is a process of continual growth, as Bruce Lee might say - but he knew kung fu and got to punch his allies.

And that is my mini-political rant for the evening. I'll probably find a way to funnel it into a blog later. Its actually rather amazing how many ways games address these issues and people just don't realize it.

Honkey Kong
    Cops waited outside while 2 robbers assaulted and raped hostages then got away.

But you should definitely 100% of the time trust them to protect you. They won't let the bad men hurt you while staying away safe and armed.

Pwnd
    That's kind of a misleading statement. It's not like they went for coffee or anything like that. They were likely concerned about starting a firefight without accurate intel, which could have made things even worse. Also, sexual assault doesn't necessarily mean full on rape. The term they used could apply to a number of things. Hell, I'm pretty sure a guy could catch that charge just for giving someone the wrong look for too long. Dude probably did something worse though, we just don't know exactly what.

Honkey Kong
    Bottom line remains the same. Personal safety is a personal responsibility. Leave it up to anyone else and you could get fucked over.

Pwnd
    Well yeah, nobody would argue with that. And if they do it won't matter because they can't defend themselves. Bad joke but w/e, I was going somewhere else with this anyway.

It's interesting to see how the media throws around these blanket terms to get more viewers. "Sexual assault" could mean practically anything in our society, and using such a loaded term is practically guaranteed to keep people watching. It's like the telephone game we played as kids. The first witness says a guy slapped her on the rear, next thing you know Fox is reporting that everyone in the building got sodomized. The worst part is, when they convince people of these exaggerated perceptions, reality itself becomes just as bad as people imagine it to be. It's a fucked situation when you think about it.

I can't think of any examples of that perception = reality phenomenon at the moment, so for the moment it can pass as personal philosophy. Where your mind goes, your ass will soon follow. It's a tendency we all have, it's just how the world works is what I'm trying to say.