Page 185 of 332 FirstFirst ... 85 135 175 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 195 235 285 ... LastLast
Results 3,681 to 3,700 of 6626

Thread: Politics thread

Pwnd
    To be serious for only a tiny moment, it looks like Joe Biden and Hillary Clinton are on a collision course for the nomination in 2016. Kinda breaks my ice cold heart.

Still responds to BLOO
    A gossip newspaper I glanced at when I was buying groceries says she has brain cancer.

Pwnd
    A TV Guide I saw in my local grocery said they were starring together in a remake of the X-Files. Joe Biden plays this FBI agent who's into the occult and wrestles bears in the mud, while Hillary Clinton plays Scully. Sounds pretty awesome imo

Still responds to BLOO

Pwnd
    Chuck Hagel's nomination as Defense secretary to come Monday

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics...,5909821.story

6. 01-07-2013, 02:26 AM

Honkey Kong
    I'm delighted and showering in the butthurt of the many Zionist blogs/websites out there.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/bank...-the-internet/

Bank Of America allegedly freezes assets of gun manufacturer because they don't agree with his business. I thought people quit banking with that shithole a long time ago?

Still responds to BLOO
    Man fuck Bank of America, assholes wouldn't help this Hispanic lady cash her check out when I was there cashing out a check, she had like 5k in that check and the teller was one of those fake-Hispanic chickies their moms never bothered to teach them Spanish. I had to step in and help the poor lady and make sure she was going to get hers. That was money her son gave her to help her keep afloat.

Also, seizing an account because you don't like what they are doing is petty, but when you dig deeper this was most likely a horrible publicity stunt for all the anti-fire arm people.

Pwnd
    Irony is abound here. I love how these Republicans (TheBlaze is ran by Glenn Beck) are always for the autonomy of businesses in the free market--that business owners should be free to decide what to do with their businesses and who they do business with--yet Bank of America does just that and suddenly the free market is a problem.

Where in the Constitution does it say that Bank of America has to do business with these people? Where are your Founding Fathers now, Glenn?

Honkey Kong
    What I still find amazing is people doing business with BOA at all. After all the controversies and people they've fucked over what other clues do you need? If you can get in one get in a Credit Union.

@Rev: yeah, I checked for other sources but only sites like that and "prison planet" came up.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Explicitly politically related, but mostly interesting because of how tenuous human memory is.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S002210311200217X

Abstract

In the largest false memory study to date, 5,269 participants were asked about their memories for three true and one of five fabricated political events. Each fabricated event was accompanied by a photographic image purportedly depicting that event. Approximately half the participants falsely remembered that the false event happened, with 27% remembering that they saw the events happen on the news. Political orientation appeared to influence the formation of false memories, with conservatives more likely to falsely remember seeing Barack Obama shaking hands with the president of Iran, and liberals more likely to remember George W. Bush vacationing with a baseball celebrity during the Hurricane Katrina disaster. A follow-up study supported the explanation that events are more easily implanted in memory when they are congruent with a person's preexisting attitudes and evaluations, in part because attitude-congruent false events promote feelings of recognition and familiarity, which in turn interfere with source attributions.

I'm not buying it, though, so I'll stay barely informed.

Pwnd
    I believe it. People are pretty dumb.

Poll Shows 25% Have an Opinion About a Totally Fake Budget Plan

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2012/12/...e-budget-plan/

So, for instance, respondents were asked whether they thought the election was legitimately won by Barack Obama, or stolen for him by ACORN -- the defunct Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, which was done in by the questionable undercover video stunts of conservative activists. Despite the fact that a group no longer in operation would probably have a hard time stealing an election, 24 percent of those polled said that ACORN was guilty (and Obama the beneficiary of a fraud); another 10 percent weren't sure.

This is perhaps understandable: Maybe the conspiratorially-minded believe that ACORN has not in fact dissolved, only gone underground. Less excusable, however, were the responses on deficit reduction. When asked about the Simpson-Bowles deficit reduction plan, which proposes to restore budgetary balance through $2.9 trillion in spending cuts and $2.6 trillion in tax increases, 39 percent were willing to express an opinion: 23 percent supported it, and 16 percent opposed. So far, so good.

The trouble came when 25 percent weighed in on the "Panetta-Burns plan" -- a nonexistent proposal concocted by PPP, presumably in order to demonstrate that a surprisingly high percentage of people have no problem offering an opinion on topics they don't know the first thing about.
    Fuck democracy.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Read that as "pancetta." I'd blindly back a plan that revolved around pancetta.

Pwnd
    Damn, someone actually got me feeling bad for Piers Morgan.

I love the old knife argument, as if a single stab is as lethal as a single bullet. Not that I'd want either, but at least you have a much better chance to survive a stabbing (plus knives have a terrible DPS against crowds).

knows stuff and things.
    Quote Originally Posted by Revuhlooshun View Post
    I love the old knife argument, as if a single stab is as lethal as a single bullet. Not that I'd want either, but at least you have a much better chance to survive a stabbing.
    I'd rather take a bullet, than a slash with a knife. Takes skill and luck to outright kill someone with a gun hitting center mass, as the brain and the heart are very small targets (unless we are talking full-auto hollow points, which isn't terribly likely), while slashes always go for the limbs or neck, giving a far higher chance of tearing through an artery or major vein.

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by SchildConstruct View Post
    I'd rather take a bullet, than a slash with a knife. Takes skill and luck to outright kill someone with a gun hitting center mass, as the brain and the heart are very small targets
    Not if they shove the gun against your face--then you're a little fucked. At that point, I'll take my chances with the knife.

I can also run from a man with a knife. The gun, not so much.

knows stuff and things.
    Not if they shove the gun against your face. Then you're a little fucked.
    Even then the brain makes for a small target, especially the brain stem which is needed for instant death, and even brain damage can be survived, even fully recovered from. Cutting a throat and bleed you to death? Trivial.

Still responds to BLOO
    They are comparable, the mortality rate from a single gunshot is around 16% and an ice pick wound is 14% while it's just above 13% for butcher knives. But all together the percentages are around 17% for guns and 5% stabs.

So it's not really a good argument against taking away the 2nd amendment, I mean why should we care about the constitution when we grew up being taught it was the the shit. FUCK YOU MOM AND DAD I'LL REPEAL ONE OR TWO IF I WANT TO.

Pwnd
    I don't know man. 20+ kids and couple of adults just got executed at point blank range in an elementary school. Seemed close enough to get the job done.

I'll take the knife.

Re: Knife lethality:

There are some issues with those mortality rates:

Quote Originally Posted by Science Blogs
    (1) The data is from 452 admissions with abdominal wounds to ahospital in Memphis,
    Tennessee over the period 1948-1959.

(1a) People who died before reaching hospital are NOT counted. In the
    discussion following the paper it is stated that “the preponderance of
    stab wounds is more apparent than real because a significant
    percentage of patients wounded by gunshot die before reaching the
    hospital.”, so this will make the mortality rate for gunshot wounds
    appear to be less.

(1b) The wounds include self-inflicted and accidental cases. Someone
    attempting suicide with a gun will probably aim at the head, but a
    a would-be knife suicide may well attempt disembowelment.

(1c) Mortality rates for wounds to other parts of the body may well be
    very different. For example, a low velocity weapon like a knife is
    far less likely to penetrate a skull than a high velocity projectile.

(1d) The distribution of wounds is different for knife assaults and
    gun assaults, since victims of knife assaults have more chance to
    dodge and block.

(1e) Medical treatment has improved since 1948. More recent results
    on abdominal wound mortality (Annals of Surgery 179 pp 639) show that
    stab wounds are 1% lethal and gun shot wounds are 13% lethal.

(1f) The weapon used was known for only some of the cases. The
    mortality rate for gunshot wounds where the type of gun was unknown
    was 29%, so this made the mortalities for each type of gun appear to
    be lower than they really were.

(2) The 13.3% death rate for butcher knife wounds is based on a mere 15
    cases. This is far too few to give a meaningful mortality rate. The
    death rate for rifle wounds was 7.7% (based on only 26 cases). Do
    you think rifles are half as lethal as handguns?
    http://scienceblogs.com/deltoid/1993.../knives-00000/

knows stuff and things.
    I don't know man. 20+ kids just got shot in a school at point blank range. Seemed close enough to get the job done.
    With an assault rifle. Not something that is all that common. With a caliber specifically aimed at stopping soldiers in body armor. If you put that through a kid, the kinetic force is enough to kill an elementary school kid.

Did we move the goalpost enough yet? Or do we want to bring up gatling guns, too? What about anti-materiel rifles?

Still responds to BLOO
    Little black kids are killed everyday for fucking up the count, despite the fact the drug dealers knew the kids couldn't count for shit since he never went to school seeing as he was dope slinging.

Where's the soapbox for them, racist

I guess they don't come in black huh

I guess the back of the buss was full huh

I guess the NBA was at full capacity huh

fucking nerd