Page 177 of 339 FirstFirst ... 77 127 167 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 187 227 277 ... LastLast
Results 3,521 to 3,540 of 6775

Thread: Politics thread

Pwnd
    I'm actually pretty fucking pissed at my White House right now. "It's not the time." I don't need your tears, Barack--I need your spine.

THE MR.E BIRD
    What did you want him to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Hansen View Post
    Too bad our corporate owned media is disgusting.
    Charlie Brooker is very good at reminding us of that.

Pwnd
    Save the world.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2302251.html

"White House: Today Not The Day For Gun Control"

It's never the day for gun control. We get a promise for a discussion in some far flung day in the future, and then it's either dropped or someone else dies in the meantime (which resets the entire charade). How many times do we have to go through this before it finally becomes the day?

You do realize this guy could have gone to dozens of different stores and gotten one or two boxes of ammunition at each of them? It's not as if he had to buy all thousand rounds at one place, that would be a red flag for any competent clerk.

Mental health checkups, mandatory gun safety classes, yadda yadda. That's all well and good, but it wouldn't prevent shit. Face the facts that people who want to do this are going to, and laugh in the face of all the preventative measures while doing it. The most dangerous people out there aren't the stark raving mad lunatics who see teletubbies in the place of people. It's the completely "sane" ones, the ones who know how to pass a psychological exam without batting an eyelash and know their weapon inside and out. They aren't detached from reality, harbor no resentments that have festered for decades, and they know everything about their gun including safety. It's when those people just decide they're going to go shoot people that people get shot. Nobody can stop them, there's no precaution that could have been taken, there's literally nothing that could have prevented them. The fact of the matter is, as long as there's guns, there's going to be people getting shot by them.

I'm not so self-deluded as to believe that "Get rid of all guns!" is something that will ever happen. HA! Good luck getting them out of the hands of those red blooded gun-nuts that think they were born with the right to shoot people who disagree with them and that their belief's deserve to be enforced upon others because they have the firepower to do so, you know, governments. That's the unfortunate reality of our pathetic race. Killing one another over a false sense of differences and division is something that's been engrained in our minds for damn near our entire existence. It's hardly something a bunch of inconsequential assholes bickering on the internet can change at this point.

So long as guns exist, people will be getting shot by them. Since guns aren't going anywhere, you can expect more people to get shot, regardless of whether it's deserved. Those kids didn't do anything to deserve being shot, and yet they did. If you don't want your kids to live with the risk of being shot, don't have kids. If you don't want to live with the risk of being shot by some random asshole on the street, kill yourself now. Unfortunate as those options may appear, and regardless of how vehemently you may want to argue against them, we all know, deep down in that part of us that simply can't lie to us, that that's the truth. So long as there's guns, there will be shootings, and since guns aren't going anywhere anytime soon, it's a pretty safe bet that the next shooting is right around the corner.

Yay people.

Pwnd
    I was wondering when Hideo Kojima would show up.

It's also possible to get rid of guns in a country. One only needs to look to Chile or South Korea to see how. I just don't find it preferable.

I was wondering how long it would take the almighty Rev to respond to little ol' me. Guess 10 seconds was a bit of an overshoot

Still responds to BLOO
    Let me pretty up my view here so it meets the retardotron criteria Rev has

I do not believe that making it much more difficult for the American populace to own a firearm is a wise solution to infrequent crimes as this one. The vast majority of gun owners do not commit mass shootings, or violent crimes of any sort for that matter. It does not make sense to enact a sweeping, indiscriminate, incredibly foolish law or rules that will mainly affect people who have done nothing to warrant it.

Now on this particular tragedy, there will be calls for increased security in elementary schools. Metal detectors, security, zero tolerance for suspicious behavior, and whatever else. These don't work. Such policies have gone under federal review after being implemented post-Columbine. The results are increased hostility toward weird kids and minorities, with no significant improvement in safety.

One more thing I'd like to say is that people should not believe society is turning to shit or how the world is sick. Consider the fact we all, every single one of us, have a capacity for extreme violence. We are all capable of enacting a massacre such as this with or without a gun. Yet, over 6 billion people go their whole lives without doing anything close to a misdemeanor. It is a very small segment of our species that receives a disgustingly disproportionate amount of attention for doing horrible things, while the rest of us reluctantly look on and live our lives in peace.

Pwnd
    I like what Smashing Pumpkins just said. I don't like the cold, black rat-in-a-cage truth of it all. But I do like the fact that someone came right out and said it.

(and yes, Vahnati, I'm talking about you <3)

Honkey Kong
    @ Vahnati:
    Ammo wasn't my concern more so the acquiring of grenades. But even with the ammo, do you know how heavy 1000 rounds of ammo is? Plus all of those guns, and a crossbow? Dude definitely lifted.

@Bloo: Last paragraph is a good thing to try and remember. Thanks for that.

Still responds to BLOO
    Quote Originally Posted by usedtabe View Post
    @Bloo: Last paragraph is a good thing to try and remember. Thanks for that.

oh as opposed to everything else I wrote?

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by de BLOO View Post
    Let me pretty up my view here so it meets the retardotron criteria Rev has

I do not believe that making it much more difficult for the American populace to own a firearm is a wise solution to infrequent crimes as this one. The vast majority of gun owners do not commit mass shootings, or violent crimes of any sort for that matter. It does not make sense to enact a sweeping, indiscriminate, incredibly foolish law or rules that will mainly affect people who have done nothing to warrant it.
    Infrequent? 12,000 people died from deliberate homicides in 2007 (http://www.cdc.gov/NCHS/data/nvsr/nvsr58/nvsr58_19.pdf). That's 4 times the body count of 9/11 in a single year. We're talking between 8,000-14,000 homicides by guns every single year, higher than any civilized Western country.

You got a stupid ass definition of "infrequent," my friend.

Your last paragraph was ok I guess.

Yeah, I just saw the little debacle about the ammo and thought I'd say that little piece before launching into my tirade. The grenades... Hell I got nothing. Dude's got (or had) connections.

I like the Smashing pumpkins.... and rest assured, I never have any hesitations. I'll say what I have to say, I'm fully aware of my own sick nature as a human, I'm not going to pussyfoot around and pretend that another fence is going to keep the wind from blowing in.

Before anything I said gets mistaken, I am NOT advising the disarming of the people. I would like to see the disarming of the world and a general growing up of people the world over to realize that there's 0 point to killing one another, and that if we worked together we could actually accomplish extraordinary things, but since none of that will ever happen, I would rather see an insane populace with weapons than see them taken away. If the government's got guns, I want one too. Asshole's like this might go out and shoot 20 kids in a school, but I would still sooner see him have a gun than none of us have one. The government's done far worse to a far greater amount of kids, and nobody's going to pass any gun restrictions on those assholes.

<Edit> And despite all our rage, we are still just rats in a cage -.^

Honkey Kong
    @Bloo:
    I'm bowing out for now to get some sleep. Otherwise I would have said more. I agree in a sense but at the same time I wouldn't feel personally inconveinenced by what Rev suggested. Definitely think gun safety training at a young age should be mandatory.

Still responds to BLOO
    Quote Originally Posted by Revuhlooshun View Post
    Infrequent? 12,000 people died from deliberate homicides in 2007 (http://www.cdc.gov/NCHS/data/nvsr/nvsr58/nvsr58_19.pdf). That's 4 times the body count of 9/11 in a single year. We're talking between 8,000-14,000 homicides by guns every single year, higher than any civilized Western country.

snip for bandwidth

You got a stupid ass definition of "infrequent," my friend.

Your last paragraph was ok I guess.
    No, fuck you and the horse you're riding in on right now. That horse is mad gay by the way.

12,000/330,000,000 = Get the fuck out here with your weak bullshit.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    While general violent crime rates have shrunk, we do need to find out why incidents of mass murder are rising considerably.

Some of it probably stems from the improper, disgusting ways the media covers the events, as the psychiatrist in the clip I linked explained. Don't plaster their picture everywhere, don't lead with sirens, don't focus on death tolls, don't nationalize it for days fawning over every petty (NOT NEWSWORTHY) piece of information that crops up, etc.

But we can't even do that because the news programs are corporate owned and all about the hits. Got to cover every angle of the tragedy and invent a few more. Rake in that controversy dough mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by de BLOO View Post
    No, fuck you and the horse you're riding in on right now. That horse is mad gay by the way.

12,000/330,000,000 = Get the fuck out here with your weak bullshit.
    In 1993, it was 14,000.

I got a bigger numerator now. What's good?

Still responds to BLOO

Pwnd
    That can't be real. I've never seen a calculator with letters.

Still responds to BLOO
    I had to type into the calculator in hopes it would show me the font size, I typed "a" which equates to "Ans" so I copy pasted that into dtoid's quick reply box and then typed E.A.D. in between the 'A' and 'ns' which gave me the perfect font & font size. Then it was a matter of a quick shoop.

The internet is something else now.

Pwnd
    The Internet has changed.

Also, fast news day today:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2297837.html

U.S. troops being sent to Turkey, 400 in total.