Page 175 of 337 FirstFirst ... 75 125 165 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 185 225 275 ... LastLast
Results 3,481 to 3,500 of 6738

Thread: Politics thread

Pwnd
    This is fucking retarded.

"27 REPORTED KILLED IN CT ELEMENTARY SCHOOL SHOOTING"

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2300831.html

Everybody should get a gun, and everybody should get a vote!

[Level 12: CHET]
    Terrible, just terrible.

Honkey Kong
    "Gun jams in false flag on Tuesday, have another one on Friday"

But really, I have no words. Some dude in China just stabbed 20 something people at a school for children too. Fuck this world.

Pwnd
    The difference though is that the stabbing spree in China left 22 people wounded. The corpses of 18 children will have to be pried from the floor in Connecticut.

And yes, I am going there. Fuck that "it's too soon" shit. This is happening almost every month. We need to find ways to get firearms out of the hands of criminals and psychopaths.

EDIT: Excerpt from CBS: "Child victims were just 5-10 years old. CBS says they were killed execution-style. 2nd suspect in custody, not clear yet if he was involved."

Still responds to BLOO
    mass murders are now a political issue.

Pwnd
    When you have a legal and regulatory system which arms and facilitates them, then it becomes an issue of public safety. Although I don't see why it needs to be political. Surely we all have a vested interest in not getting our kids shot in the face.

Jesus, how messed up somebody has to be to want to kill that many random people.

Honkey Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by Revuhlooshun View Post
    When you have a legal and regulatory system which arms and facilitates them, then it becomes an issue of public safety. Although I don't see why it needs to be political. Surely we all have a vested interest in not getting our kids shot in the face.
    I don't really see how. Even if they were able to ban guns and get the 250,000,000 from the hands of current gun owners(won't happen) all people would have to do is start buying the ones we've been selling to the Cartels/other countries. I don't really believe in Karma but we've put so many death machines into the world I don't think we can ever escape them.

Pwnd
    So we just go ahead and give them firearms over the counter at Wal-Mart because we think that can't do shit? We just admit that we're powerless? "Eh, I can't stop you from killing my kid. Here, buy what you want." Is this just a new reality that we're going to have to get used to? When we go school shopping for our children from now on, do we have to make sure to pick up a notebook, colored pencils, and a bullet proof vest? Are we really willing to co-sign to that future? When have we been a country to say, "We can't do shit, why bother trying?"

I refuse to accept this idea that we're poor, helpless victims waiting for our turn to get shot unexpectedly while eating an ice cream cone on the sidewalk. The alternative to this problem is to throw our hands in the air and hope that it won't be our turn one day.

Honkey Kong
    But see, I didn't say that. I just said "I don't see how". As in, I have no plan or would even know where to begin.

What's your plan/idea?

(not trying to come off as an asshole, JIC)

Pwnd
    Used, I haven't started reading your posts yet but just wanted to say I'm looking forward to them. This incident and the ones like it, it's making me think of that thing you posted about the mice in Random Pictures. The gun isn't the disease. It's a symptom.

Still responds to BLOO
    This is a horrible price to pay for gun rights but I'm not going to give that right away out of fear. Fucking live in a bunker if you're that paranoid someone is around every corner ready to blast you.

inb4 Rev's "College kid who has learned enough of the world" bullshit. I'm ready to defriend you on XBL(the ultimate sign of unfriendness), so choose your next words carefully closet Romney fan.

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by usedtabe View Post
    But see, I didn't say that. I just said "I don't see how". As in, I have no plan or would even know where to begin.

What's your plan/idea?

(not trying to come off as an asshole, JIC)
    Bi-annual mental health checkups, nationally required gun-safety training before obtaining a permit, no violent criminal offenses with a weapon on record. If you want a gun, you earn it. Meet those standards, and you can even have fully automatic rifles for all I care. But this democratic ideal that everybody deserves something by virtue of having drawn air is absurd.

I have firearms of my own. I'm willing to spend a few hours every year to get evaluated if it makes it harder for assholes like these to get guns.

i am so god damned depressed right now.

Honkey Kong
    I think (optional)bi-annual/annual mental health checkups should be a thing in general, available to anyone who wants them. And given what kind of "care" we give to those in need of mental healthcare that should be improved as well.
    I agree about gun-safety but I would go a step farther and make it a mandatory school curriculum for everyone. That way everyone knows the damage they can cause, and that they are a tool, not a toy. We have way too many fantasies to turn to about guns in media/entertainment without the education to what they can really do and when to use them.

@Legendhead: Yeah, that study was telling.

Why would someone by an assault rifle for their 14 year old kid? Just curious. I don't know of any good reason.

Still responds to BLOO
    That sounds real nice guys but also expensive as fuck.

And then there's the whole illegal gun market that would never see any of this.

Honkey Kong
    Quote Originally Posted by digtastik View Post
    Why would someone by an assault rifle for their 14 year old kid? Just curious. I don't know of any good reason.
    Assault rifle is a catch-all buzz word. You mean a fully-automatic rifle? If so, no idea dude. Considering you need special licenses to get full-auto in many states I just don't see it being something someone would do.
    Quote Originally Posted by de BLOO View Post

And then there's the whole illegal gun market that would never see any of this.
    Definitely. But I think the alternatives would be more expensive.

And the illegal gun market will always be a factor, so trying to compensate for it just isn't reasonable imo. I think with proper education about guns as suggested above there would be less activity on said market. If someone learns at a young age that guns are tools for certain things and not the problem solvers they are promoted as in popular entertainment it might help curb some of that. All speculation of course.

Pwnd
    I think (optional)bi-annual/annual mental health checkups should be a thing in general, and given what kind of "care" we give to those in need of mental healthcare that should be improved as well. I agree about gun-safety but I would go a step farther and make it a mandatory school curriculum for everyone. That way everyone knows the damage they can cause, and that they are a tool, not a toy. We have way too many fantasies to turn to about guns in media/entertainment without the education to what they can really do.
    I definitely agree on the mental health check-ups and the education.

The issue here is not guns in-and-of themselves (in my opinion, at least). This string of shootings is largely a mental health issue in addition to cracks in the legal and regulatory systems of selling firearms. We need to not only detect individuals with mental illnesses before they lash out in this manner, but also work on helping to treat them.

People who own and fire guns as a hobby are some of my favorite people. The people who are into that shit are very dedicated and responsible. I've gone to "shooting ranges" in Ocala which are just little fields with a wooden hut and no supervision whatsoever, and every time that I've gone to them, they're filled with people who know their shit and take it very seriously--they know the power of a weapon and give it the respect that it deserves. I have no beef with these people, and I have no desire to take that shit away from them.

But I do think that if we're ever going to at least curb this problem, we're all going to have to be a little inconvenienced now and then for the sake of everybody else's safety.

Quote Originally Posted by De BLOO
    You pay for the mental health exam. You pay for the gun-safety course. Expensive? This is a jobs program.

Assault rifle is a catch-all buzz word. You mean a fully-automatic rifle? If so, no idea dude. Considering you need special licenses to get full-auto in many states I just don't see it being something someone would do.

Definitely. But I think the alternatives would be more expensive.

And the illegal gun market will always be a factor, so trying to compensate for it just isn't reasonable imo. I think with proper education about guns as suggested above there would be less activity on said market. If someone learns at a young age that guns are tools for certain things and not the problem solvers they are promoted as in popular entertainment it might help curb some of that. All speculation of course.
    To be specific, I meant Smith & Wesson AR 15. Sorry.