Page 173 of 323 FirstFirst ... 73 123 163 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 183 223 273 ... LastLast
Results 3,441 to 3,460 of 6459

Thread: Politics thread

[Level 7: Sentinel]
    Great comment.

Pwnd
    Psy apologizes for rapping about killing Americans

Now the dumbass Murikan response would be to get mad at the guy for what he said previously. Me though, I'm glad he said it. I didn't even know about the 2002 tank incident until I read this article just now. He called attention to a problem, good for him.

And besides, we Americans rap about killing each other all the time anyway.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...s-8399658.html

Not really sure how much of a good idea this is, but I guess if it's going to blow up we should make sure the blast is directly focused at our face.

The NYU Student Tweeting Every Reported US Drone Strike Has Revealed A Disturbing Trend

Known as the "double tap," the tactic involves bombing a target multiple times in relatively quick succession, meaning that the second strike often hits first responders.

A 2007 report by the Homeland Security Institute called double taps a "favorite tactic of Hamas" and the FBI considers it a tactic employed by terrorists.

UN special rapporteur on extrajudicial killings Christof Heyns said that if there are "secondary drone strikes on rescuers who are helping (the injured) after an initial drone attack, those further attacks are a war crime."

The U.S. refuses to discuss the merits of its overtly covert drone program, but the reports featured on @dronestream clearly document that U.S. hellfire missiles have intentionally targeted funerals and civilian rescuers.

...only one in 50 [drone] casualties are high level militants.

How many casualties of drone strikes are mid-level militants? Or low-level militants? The way that it's worded makes it seem that the other 49 deaths are all civilian. "High-level militants" is a red herring. Instead of implying and/or encouraging that assumption through a lack of information, they should stop pussyfooting around and just get to the specifics.

By the same token: Whose definitions are we using when classifying these targets? Whose definition of "high-level militants" are we using, and what is that definition?

Also, the term "first responders" is rather loaded in this instance. Were these first responders government workers or nearby militants? By definition, both can be classified as first responders by virtue of the fact that they may or may not be the first to respond to such an incident. If the U.S. is attacking ambulances (as the wording seems to suggest by its use of loaded language/lack of information), wouldn't that have been known by now?

It's all very vague, which leads me to question its veracity and sincerity.

Still responds to BLOO
    I'm fucking done with the politics Rev likes to use.

"EVERYTHING MEANS SOMETHING DIFFERENT TO EACH OTHER"

World War 3 here we come how can we stop it if rev is at the UN telling everyone to forget what a word means peace might mean kill everyone to someone so now everyone drop everything and learn it that way according to Rev

Pwnd
    I could swear to God I saw "herb" in there somewhere. Rev and his damn subliminals

Hey, if anybody wants to gobble down every bit of bullshit that they read on the internet, then be my guest. If vague and emotional propaganda is your preferred news source, then allow me to recommend some other avenues of enlightenment that you'll find informative:

www.drudgereport.com
    www.foxnews.com
    www.infowars.com
    www.whitehouse.gov
    www.voanews.com
    www.peta.org
    www.feministfrequency.com

It's no sweat off my back.

Pwnd
    Dude I was just kidding. I don't actually know how to read

Seriously though, I haven't been keeping up with the drone thing. I think the problem people have with it is well, the Skynet factor. If those same civilians had been killed by good old-fashioned flesh and bone ground troops or hell, fighter pilots even, it would be business as usual.

Also, [insert awkward segue] you have any thoughts on the Dalai Lama? I'm especially interested in his alleged CIA links. I know it sounds like I'm still just fucking with you but this is something that's gotten my attention recently. Just wanted your thoughts.

lol, I'm just fucking around. That really wasn't addressed to anyone in particular. I wouldn't recommend Feminist Frequency to anybody.

The CIA were the ones who got the Dalai Lama got out of Tibet during a Chinese crackdown in the 50s, and the CIA was also active in setting up training camps during the early years of Tibetan resistance to help train guerrillas fighting the Chinese government (back before the U.S. normalized relations with China under Nixon). I don't know if he has any ties with them today, but they definitely had a fling in the past. I'd imagine that things are a little more complicated now that we're quasi-allies with China.

Pwnd
    Yeah, I never really looked into him until recently. I had been following him around on Facebook -- like damn near literally following -- just because he seems to have a good philosophy. You know how it is. Dude shows up all like Master Po and shit, like he knows the way. And then I stumbled across this Penn and Teller video and I was like WAT

Think about that. Him on Facebook, just doing his cult leader thing, catching people when they're vulnerable. A guy like him could really do some damage over the internet.
    Last edited by Sir Legendhead; 12-12-2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: deleted joke

The drone article I linked definitely brings up more questions than it offers answers (I was hesitant to even bother to include the last bit given the obfuscation and subjectivity there), but I'm currently without the time to look into them closely, so just trying to bring up discussion and the like.

But I do think the "double tap" practices evidenced in strike frequency at the very least back up the unfortunate fact that we already know: drones are killing civilians, which is troubling in and of itself (and then of course reverberations back to people killing civilians, efficacy versus morality of drone warfare, civilian casualties to be expected, we shouldn't even be in country x, etc.)

Also a good (unrelated) read, I think:

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2012/dec/06/mo-yan-nobel-prize/?pagination=false

(On an effective arm of the state Chinese writer winning the nobel prize)

Yo, this thread has lost 3 pages in the last hour.

No I'm not drinking. There's no booze in this cup.

Pwnd
    You know what happened right?

edit - pfff, nvm, of course you do.

I don't.

But I'll get to the bottom of this.

Pwnd
    you and your damn weeaboo christmas music

The Bar is also missing pages. It's almost as if they've been...

Snatched.
    Last edited by Revuhlooshun; 12-13-2012 at 02:15 AM. Reason: I changed the image. The Man™ was not thrilled with my last decapitation. Now the comment below makes no sense.

Pwnd
    HAHA! It's funny because the guy's head is where a snatch would be normally.

If men had snatches.

Now all we have to do is find a building that looks like the Kremlin and we've solved everything.