Page 172 of 338 FirstFirst ... 72 122 162 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 182 222 272 ... LastLast
Results 3,421 to 3,440 of 6742

Thread: Politics thread

Pwnd

Bringer of Truth
    God damn Russell Brand handles himself SO fucking well in situations like this. I saw something awhile back where he was talking to a Nazi or something.

That said, those Westboro Baptist fucks live around here and I see them all the time. REAL pieces of shit.

Someone tell Obama to turn the damn science slider down a few clicks, this is getting out of hand!

But seriously, delete some fucking military units America, it's getting pretty retarded.

Pwnd
    Watched the Brand thing this morning and it was disturbing as fuck. I'm not sure how I feel about that interview having taken place. It's not like you can reason with them. The only sane response is to make fun of them, and even then coming up with jokes about them isn't exactly a challenging mental exercise. People like that genuinely scare the shit out of me. They're just so sure that they're right.

I would say that the Romans had the right idea when they fed such insane cultists to the lions. But no. The lions deserve better.

Pwnd
    Egypt’s Leader Is Crucial Link in Gaza Deal

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/22/wo...deal.html?_r=0

The White House phone log tells part of the tale. Mr. Obama talked with Mr. Morsi three times within 24 hours and six times over the course of several days, an unusual amount of one-on-one time for a president. Mr. Obama told aides he was impressed with the Egyptian leader’s pragmatic confidence. He sensed an engineer’s precision with surprisingly little ideology. Most important, Mr. Obama told aides that he considered Mr. Morsi a straight shooter who delivered on what he promised and did not promise what he could not deliver.

The Egyptian side was also positive about the collaboration. Essam el-Haddad, the foreign policy adviser to the Egyptian president, described a singular partnership developing between Mr. Morsi, who is the most important international ally for Hamas, and Mr. Obama, who plays essentially the same role for Israel.

“Yes, they were carrying the point of view of the Israeli side but they were understanding also the other side, the Palestinian side,” Mr. Haddad said in Cairo as the cease-fire was being finalized on Wednesday. “We felt there was a high level of sincerity in trying to find a solution. The sincerity and understanding was very helpful.”

Pwnd

Still responds to BLOO
    So wheres that picture you promised you'd post.

I won't help you with the specifics because when a person promises, you'd like to think they'd know.

Pwnd
    Oh yeah, that.

Almost forgot to put up that picture of my girlfriend. After I hit that I'm all like:

[Level 5: Mech]
    It's on now.

...well, not like it wasn't on already, but...eh, you know what I mean.

[Level 5: Mech]
    And following the aforementioned Israel continues doing Israel things.

Closer to home, Hostess execs continue to do Hostess exec things.

Honkey Kong
    FUCK YES PALESTINE!

I like the way increasing settlement building is their revenge, as if they weren't going to do it at some point anyway.

I hope the Palestinians do try to chase them through the ICC. I know they wouldn't get very far with it because America would just put pressure on the court but still it'd be interesting to see Israel challenged on some of the stuff it's done.

Pwnd
    Quote Originally Posted by Panzadolphin56 View Post
    I hope the Palestinians do try to chase them through the ICC. I know they wouldn't get very far with it because America would just put pressure on the court but still it'd be interesting to see Israel challenged on some of the stuff it's done.
    They wouldn't be able to do much to Israel through the ICC. Israel is not a signatory to the Rome Statute, along with the U.S. and Sudan -- this actually came up during an international relations course while going through some mock crises, so I remember this all very well. Membership to the ICC is voluntary, meaning that it has no jurisdiction over non-member states. However, a citizen from a non-member state who commits an international crime in a member state is still liable to prosecution as long as the crime takes place in a member state. Furthermore, the ICC's proceedings focus on individuals, not nation-states as a whole, meaning that they would have to go after specific members of the Israel government for committing international crimes on the territory of a member-state (which Jerusalem does not fall under currently). It would also help if Palestine was itself a member of the ICC, in order to establish ICC jurisdiction (Palestine was denied entry to the ICC a few days ago, despite their statehood bid). Combine all of these factors, and it becomes easy to see why the ICC is a dead-end on this matter.

It's also important to keep in mind what the UN Charter says about the act of granting statehood before people get too excited about this General Assembly vote:

"The recognition of a new State or Government is an act that only other States and Governments may grant or withhold. It generally implies readiness to assume diplomatic relations. The United Nations is neither a State nor a Government, and therefore does not possess any authority to recognize either a State or a Government."

I meant more the questions any attempt to get anything done at the ICC would raise more than actual persecutions.

Pwnd
    The ICJ would be the appropriate forum for that, as opposed to the ICC.

Yes I'm that guy.
    Last edited by Revuhlooshun; 12-07-2012 at 12:03 AM.

Still responds to BLOO

Last edited by Hector Garfria; 12-05-2012 at 04:13 PM.

Pwnd
    China's new boss Xi hits nationalist note with talk of "revival"

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8B51E620121206

Quote Originally Posted by Reuters
    Analysts in Beijing believe Xi's domestic political strategy is clear enough. "He's using (these words) to move away from ideology," added Chen Ziming, an independent scholar of politics in Beijing. "He knows that Communist slogans don't really have much status anymore among Chinese people, so he thinks playing the 'national rejuvenation' card is a better way to go."
    I found that bit the most telling of all. The bourgeoisie ain't so bad if they're bringing Bentleys.

Honkey Kong
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ionalists.html

>Come from Sudan where people are butchered regularly
    >show scars that are obviously years old
    >try to blame them on Golden Dawn and say they're months old

Glad to see the comments section isn't buying it either.

[Level 8: Skynet]
    Hahahahahahahaha

"Debt ceiling debate twist: Sen. Mitch McConnell filibusters himself"

Pwnd
    McConnell's days of relevancy are drawing to a close. Come the new session of Congress, Reid will finally unload the nuclear option and pass filibuster reform with only a 51-vote majority. McConnell will rue the day he went back on that gentlemen's agreement with Reid to filibuster less. What we are seeing now is the swan song of an obstructionist. We're finally getting filibuster reform so that the Senate can function again, and there's nothing McConnell can do to stop it.

“But it won’t be a handshake,” Reid added. “We tried that last time; it didn’t work.”

EDIT: This comment on the link is appropriate:

They're like a fucking 6 year old. We gave the little shit a squirt gun for his birthday and what does he do? Fills it with gasoline and turns his little sister into a blazing yule log.

Yeah, I think it's time to take the squirt gun away.

PLAY TIME IS OVER!